Author Topic: Ready to move up from a Fresh Roast SR500  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Greeps

• Standard User
Ready to move up from a Fresh Roast SR500
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:45:24 AM »
I'm looking for advice.

I'm not an expert so please bear with me.

I've used the Fresh Roast SR500 with good results.  What I do is run 3 six minute cycles per roast, heat settings of medium/low/low.  It is inefficient because the batch size is so small but the flavor of the coffee is great. I did a lot of experimentation with it before settling on this heat pattern. It reaches first crack at about 5-6 minutes, so about the end of the first cycle. I visited a local commercial roaster and spent the day with him. He taught me it takes time to develop the flavor. I like coffee to taste like coffee smells, with nice mouthfeel, and thick rich deep taste.

I run it outside, and set a timer for 5 minutes so I can reliably be there to reset the thing for the next 6 minute cycle.  I'm very happy with my roasts, it's just that roasting sessions take hours and just so many 6 minute interventions.  I can live with this roaster if necessary.

I'd like to move up to something that allows a larger batch size.  I would like to be able to set it for a first crack at about 6 minutes then a reduced temperature for 12 minutes.  I think I'd like to do 1/2 pound (225g) or thereabouts.  I'd like to take it outside so I don't stink up the house.

Is the Behmor 1600+ a good next step for me?  I'm not really price limited, is the Bullet a better choice?  Assuming I wheel it or take it outside, is an induction roaster less sensitive to ambient air temperature than the SR500?

I can supply 240V if necessary.  I have a gas grill so can go with propane but I'd rather use electricity because it is less cumbersome.

Has anyone modified the SR500 to get a longer cycle time?  I'm not above trying to control it with an Arduino but I'll need some help with the wiring to the existing control system.

Thanks for any input. 

Best,
David

Offline Badam

• Standard User
Re: Ready to move up from a Fresh Roast SR500
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
It sounds like you like the fluid bed roaster if you are happy with your fresh roast results. I would look at a Sonofresco (Propane or Natural Gas) or Artisan 3e (Electric 240V)  if you are already in the Bullet R1 price range. Don't overlook a Huky 500 if you want to check out drum roasters, cheaper than Bullet and has a cult following.

I personally have a Behmor among other things and I get very good results. Its biggest draw is the price. You will need some external cooling for better results than its built-in cool cycle.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
Used sonofresco is hard to beat with price and such. But usually your space and weather for roasting can be a determining factor. Where do you live, do you have room for a more serious roaster? Etc..
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
It sounds like you like the fluid bed roaster if you are happy with your fresh roast results. I would look at a Sonofresco (Propane or Natural Gas) or Artisan 3e (Electric 240V)  if you are already in the Bullet R1 price range. Don't overlook a Huky 500 if you want to check out drum roasters, cheaper than Bullet and has a cult following.

I personally have a Behmor among other things and I get very good results. Its biggest draw is the price. You will need some external cooling for better results than its built-in cool cycle.

Huky's have a real following because they do what a roaster needs to do for a lot less than competing gas drum options. 

Adequate heat, check.
Adequate air manipulation, check
Direct bean feedback, check
Easy to use, check
Quick, back to back roasts, check
Excellent cup results, check!

An electric Quest M3 and the Hottop are electric drum competitors to a Huky. 

Lots of folks here do fluid bed roasting and mentioned those roasters above.  I can't speak to the control they give (heat and/or airflow) but these are important to consider as are other factors. 

Some folks here use drums in gas grills.  I can tell you that they don't intrinsically provide airflow management but you can roast some hella big batches if that's what you need. 

Good luck.

Offline bengreens

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
My memory of using the Behmor is it would have a tough time getting 8 oz up to 1C in 6 minutes.

Preheating the Bullet would allow you to reach that goal. But why not give it a little more time, 7 or 8, or 9 minutes?

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
What did you do?

Offline bengreens

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
Sorry, if you're asking me what I did, I don't understand the question.

Offline jasonarcand

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
I was recently in the same boat, as I have been roasting with an SR-500 for about five years. Recently I started to desire a roaster with more control flexibility and larger capacity.
Yesterday I found that the Sonofresco 1100 had a massive price drop on Amazon (it's now going for $2004, in stainless with ADR SW package) and that was enough to get me to pull the trigger.
I was also considering the SR-700 and an aftermarket extension tube (available for about $100 from a member on the Facebook "FreshRoast Coffee Roasters" group), which I read allows up to 8 oz batches. Might be worth looking into for your upgrade.
Anyhow the Sonofresco will be delivered on Friday and I'll let you know if I have any regrets  :)

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
Sorry, if you're asking me what I did, I don't understand the question.

I think our posts crossed. I was asking what the OP did.

Didn't realize that Sonofresco made a 55lb tabletop/1lb roaster. Nice option. 

Seems like a nice, self contained option.  Based on other posts I bet it can lead to real high-grade roasting if it has both fan and temp control.