Author Topic: Kruve sifter/ lido grinders  (Read 1209 times)

Offline jvbarrac

• Standard User
Kruve sifter/ lido grinders
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
Good day all:

I have been living on a sailboat roasting and brewing for a few years now. I try to keep everything as simple as possible so I use a lido 2 rather than having an electric grinder and I’ve been wondering whether this grinder is holding back my coffee by producing excessive fines.

In comes the sifter...I just received a kruve sifter from amazon and am excited to check it out. I generally brew on a v60 and sifted 10 grams on a fairly standard pour over setting. I had less than .1 grams of fines (smaller than 400 um), 1.4 grams between 400 and 800 um, and 8.6 above 800 um. Looks to me like the lido is doing well!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the lido, kruve, or my typical grind size for a v60?

Cheers!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Kruve sifter/ lido grinders
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
I do not see why a hand grinder that is good quality could not produce a good grind.  The burrs are the main thing there, not necessarily the motive force.  To be honest, hand grinding, in a purely engineering stance, may be even better because it creates / maintains less heat than a motorized burr.  You use what you got and make good coffee with it!

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
Re: Kruve sifter/ lido grinders
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
I don't have any idea about the threshold of influence for fines affecting a cup.  You're about 14% in the middle section.  I bet my old *$ Barista/Baratza basic grinder has a higher percent than that!

I am lead to believe that the grinders you mentioned produce lower levels of fines than inferior products.