Author Topic: Heave Ho!  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
Heave Ho!
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
My position at work was just eliminated. I have 30 days to find a new position within the company (they aren't really working with us). Seems to be the best time to work on my fledgling coffee business.

I plan to begin with farmer's markets and shows. I need to buy a larger roaster as I am using my frankenroaster, but I would like to take a roaster with me.

In your opinion, which roaster would be your choice?
I'm look to do a decent size roast each run, minimum of 8lbs.

I have my branding ready, and a small following.

I've been back and forth on fluid bed vs drum. My roaster decision is based more on quality, quantity, and cost.

Thanks for any input.

~Amy

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Heave Ho!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
You're looking for a roaster that'll do 8lbs. and is something you can take with you to shows and/or markets?  Or, are you looking for two different roasters, each with its own purpose?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
The Artisan 9 would be a great electric roaster to use.  For gas, Id have no idea that large.
You could run the A9 on a 12 Kw generator I bet, which is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, or if you can get access to a 60 Amp (like a campground type) outlet.

If you do get one, please mention my name when you buy it, and Id be happy to discuss any questions you'd have on it and using it.

https://bit.tube/play?hash=QmWdQsJyXzp8tHUh5a2PH7MTR6vaC2nh5AAYA8NecRuqUW&channel=24261

Here is a video I shot earlier of me using my Artisan 6 to do 5 lbs.  It can actually do 7 if I wanted.  Anyways, the Artisan 9 is just a slightly bigger unit.  Also, depending on your situation, you may even be able to just buy the heater part of it w/o the chaff collector bla bla if you are in a situation where you don't mind the chaff just flowing off into the breeze and save some $$ on the purchase price.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
A 12kw generator is only going to give you 50 amps at 240v.  The Generac GP17500E puts out 17.5kw running and  26.2kw starting, but the largest outlet on it is one 50 amp.

kp

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »
As kelpdaddy stated, there are several good generators out there that will fill your need.   The Artisan will pull about 11kw or so top.  It's recommended with a Circuit Breaker of 60 Amp but 50 Amps will work just as well.  To be honest I don't think you'll be needing to push the watts to the tippy top.  I have done it on mine just to see where it tops out at but that's a bit more than you really need to roast.
The power is going to a heating element, so there is no major surge of inductive starting current like trying to crank over a big compressor or anything.  The blower fan for lofting may run like 800 watts total, but again, if you turned it up that much you'd be launching the beans across the yard onto the neighbors roof.   

You could probably find a few good generators out there that will suit your needs.  I believe there are also some propane ones out there too, or diesel, your pick if you want to go that route.  It is always good though to get a gen that is a bit higher rated than what you need.  It's easier on the engine when you are not pumping it near 100 percent rating, the fuel economy is a bit better as well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
You're looking for a roaster that'll do 8lbs. and is something you can take with you to shows and/or markets?  Or, are you looking for two different roasters, each with its own purpose?

Fair point, I should have specified.

I need one to take to the venues, want the smells and the questions.
I also want a larger one to make the large batches.

Now, if I could get a single roaster that could travel and make decent size batches, that would be ideal  I'm using my severance to fund this.
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »
What type of vehicle would you be carrying your roaster in?  Is it going to be a trunk monkey?  Given the amount you want to roast, a gas one would be pretty heavy for that.  You'd want it in a trailer.  The Artisan though, actually could do 7 lbs and you could pick it up.  it'd fit in a trunk it's a box really so not like there's a lot of pipes and hoses to bust off.  You could put it and / or the generator on a wheel dolly, carry it around in a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer that you tow behind your car / truck.  I think it'd be very workable.  As a plus if you could find yourself somewhere where there is electricity available you could plug in and not have to run the generator.

The Artisan would do as little as a pound.  They say half a pound but it can get finicky, id go with a pound and up to 9 with the Artisan 9.  Smells are definately there, and the site too, you can look right into the chamber and see the beans bouncing around, see the chaff wafting out, smell the smoke of the beans going through the nutty stage, and the roasting stage.  A drum roaster that might be all enclosed and not much to see really, until you get to where you pour them out to cool.  Though if you wanted, i am sure you could get a gene cafe or something like that solely for the 'show off' affect.

Aaron

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
I'm surprised I didn't think of this question first...

How did you arrive at wanting an 8lb/batch-sized roaster?  What data are you using to forecast your demand and/or sales per month?  How many hours per week are you willing to devote to roasting?

Here's why I ask; I sell roughly 100# of coffee per month on average.  I have a 2K roaster, which seems small, and normally net 3# per batch, or 12# per hour.  So my monthly demand is satisfied w/ say, 9 hours of roasting. 

So your 8# roaster, roasting those same 9 hours per month would net you 288#.  And much more, obviously, if you doubled your monthly hours to 18.

So how much coffee can you sell in a month?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »
Another thought on the generator...the Generac is loud, very loud.  I know as I have one at my farm and one at work also.  It is well built and very reliable but I wouldn't be able to hear a first crack within a hundred feet of it unless the sound was isolated some how.

kp

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »
kelpdaddy on the bigger ones I believe they do sell silencer kits for them.  If not a 'kit' im sure you can find a muffler option for it.  Hell if he does it right he can use the exhaust heat to preheat the beans too hehe.

Aaron

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
kelpdaddy on the bigger ones I believe they do sell silencer kits for them.  If not a 'kit' im sure you can find a muffler option for it.  Hell if he does it right he can use the exhaust heat to preheat the beans too hehe.

Aaron

I detect a slight diesel note in this coffee...
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
Well Diesels burn oil, they originally ran on peanut oil.  As oily and disgusting as starbucks is, i bet if you squeezed some you could get that coffee oil to run the diesel with.  Roast your Robusta with starbucks oil.  A win / win for sure.   chugga  chugga ....  At least that way you'd actually be putting the coffee to good use for a change :)

Aaron

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
If you want something to take with you to Farmer's Markets and the like, I'd recommend a Bullet, Quest M3, or a Hottop in that descending order.  They're electric units that are largely self contained and can produce good roasts. 

For a small portable gas roaster the newer Coromat may meet your needs. I use a Huky but I wouldn't call it portable.  Both of these roll out 1lb batches. 

For home roasting there are several gas drum options along with the electric units discussed above.

Ambex is a lower cost option as are others that frequently come up on Craigslist, etc.  A local roaster I know used a 5kg Ambex successfully for several years before moving up.

Good luck on your new venture.

Offline Yardbirdaa

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »
Another alternative is a grill roaster.  Standard grill with a drum and a motor.  Easy setup, medium learning curve, and can handle may different batch sizes. A

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
grill roaster is a good option but you will need to check with where you are setting up at.  Some places have restrictions on what they'd probably consider to be an open flame.

Aaron