Author Topic: Heave Ho!  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Yardbirdaa

• Standard User
Re: Heave Ho!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
Very good point.  I was stopped at my first market, but another city didn't have a problem with it.  We ended up not doing it anymore.  Once you start grinding the coffee, that smell alone travels a long way.  Plus, no smoke :)

grill roaster is a good option but you will need to check with where you are setting up at.  Some places have restrictions on what they'd probably consider to be an open flame.

Aaron

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 03:15:54 AM »
I live in florida, we have lots of flea markets.   It looks like a street in Olongopo on Navy Week in some places.  Invariably these things catch on fire every so often and burn down an acre of two of booths.  The damage is horrible, sometimes $50 to upwards of $100 dollars is lost in those fires.  They tend to be very strict about open flames and such because of that.  Those Elvis dolls aint cheap to replace you know...

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 08:25:22 PM »
Although the Bullet would be good with its 1kg capacity, Aillio is working on a new, completely self-contained electric roaster with, if I remember correctly, 2kg capacity.  I have seen the proto, and it is shockingly beautiful!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 07:25:26 AM »
Ok. Good points and I've met with some people and made some decisions.

I wont be taking the roaster with me. The logistics show there is no need.

Instead, I'll need a decent grinder to grind upon request.

I am still wanting a new roaster. I considered doing more frankenroasters, but I already have enough requested that I want to do larger batches in anticipation of increased sales (around here, this hasn't even started to get big).

I've met with potential partners who are starting a coffee business- they know business, but they dont know coffee. I have to decide if I'm going to partner with them or stay on my own. They have enough capital and investors that we could move fast, but I dont know that working with them is the right decision, due to my other endeavors.

~Amy

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
You'll still need a somewhat accurate forecast for weekly/monthly sales to determine size of your new roaster; too small and you're spending too much time roasting - too big and you invest too much into the roaster that could be spent elsewhere.

There are too many aspects of partnership for any of us to give solid advice because your situation is unique.  But... I think it would be a good opportunity to work with them for a couple years and learn what they know.  Like many of us, I thought about starting a cafe and came to the realization that I wouldn't want to be in charge of both roasting (securing samples, then bags, then managing inventory, etc) and running the business.  If you could just be in charge of coffee and not have to deal with everything that goes into the business, be it your city's health dept. or their rules for signs and sidewalks, or hiring and payroll, buying supplies... the list goes on.  To fly solo would be tough, at least for me.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
What Peter said but I will add a slight twist.
Too small a roaster and you spend your days slaving over the thing.  Now a bit bigger than needed roaster, yes it's a bit of capital tied up but roasters typically hold their value pretty well if you take care of them, BUT.... you are a nobody now (no offense) once your business gets going and people know you, and your product, you become a somebody, and your sales go way up, so you grow into that big roaster you got, instead of having to sell a used roaster and then buy yet another bigger one.

Just my.02.  and also what peter said, the roolz and bullshit of running a business, it may be good to get in with someone who can do all that for you, .. even if you do get very big, you will have to hire someone to do all that stuff anyways, maybe discuss this with them and buyout options etc before you get all set up.  Not only health department but once you start roasting over 5lbs a shot or whatever it is, now you are causing 'pollution' and need a capture system for the smells / vapors bla bla type stuff.  Having someone who knows this kind of garbage beforehand helps you wade through the red tape to finally get going.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
For my own personal business, I already have enough orders where I am currently doing 100 to 125 pounds a month. With the farmers market and such added to that, figuring up to 300 pounds per month

If I go into the partnership, they have already selected a diedrich . They know absolutely nothing about coffee. If I partner with them, I will be the main coffee person for the greens and roasting, etc.

I've looked at diedrich, ambex, and artisan. I think for now, I am going to do a grill drum roaster. And once I'm doing over 300 per month, I will look at something larger.

Thoughts? I don't have a lot of regulations here where I live.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:31:08 PM by Scarecrow »
~Amy

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
For my 2K roaster, netting 12/hr. getting to 300#/month would translate to 25 hours of roasting or 6 hours per week which wouldn't be bad.  I'm guessing a grill/drum set up would be comparable.

There might be something to be said for buying a 'real' roaster now.  One, it'll give you better control over your roasts, hence better repeatability.  Two, it'll give you a chance to learn the quirks of the roaster when your demand is still smaller.  Three, if there is a discernible difference between your grill and the next roaster (and there will be) you'll have 300#-worth of customers you have to explain the difference to; they should be delighted that their coffee is better, but it would be better to make a change sooner with 100#-worth of customers.

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
For my 2K roaster, netting 12/hr. getting to 300#/month would translate to 25 hours of roasting or 6 hours per week which wouldn't be bad.  I'm guessing a grill/drum set up would be comparable.

There might be something to be said for buying a 'real' roaster now.  One, it'll give you better control over your roasts, hence better repeatability.  Two, it'll give you a chance to learn the quirks of the roaster when your demand is still smaller.  Three, if there is a discernible difference between your grill and the next roaster (and there will be) you'll have 300#-worth of customers you have to explain the difference to; they should be delighted that their coffee is better, but it would be better to make a change sooner with 100#-worth of customers.

Good points.
So many decisions.
I was trying to get going with lower out of pocket, and I know a group doing the grill roaster and they are very successful. But your points are well made and now I lean towards larger (artisan 9) and bite the money bullet.
~Amy

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
I think you will love the Artisan 9.  It's real easy to use and electricity is just so much neater and you don't have to worry about gas leaks or re filling bottles.

Also, it's very responsive too.  I modded mine and put a small watt meter on the panel, granted mine is hanging there because I have not gotten around to dremmeling the panel and mounting it correctly but I can honestly say I can control the roast in like 10 to 20 watt tweaks.  At 9 lbs of coffee, that's pretty much un noticeable, but the precision is there, and if you need you dial that baby to the moon and it'll hump some heat into the beans for sure.  Be VERY careful of the loft though, seriously, it will throw the beans across the yard if you wind it out.  Make sure you have the fan all the way low when you turn power on to it or you may be in for a nasty suprise as they go flying everywhere.

If you do get that one, please tell them I sent you there, I might get something from them for it and if I do i'll send you some free coffee to bust it's cherry on :P

Aaron

Offline Scarecrow

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:37 AM »
I came across the Ashe roaster. Anyone familiar with it?
~Amy

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »

That's a first for me.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »

Ashe Roaster, isn't that what $B uses to char their beans with?  :P

Aaron

Offline bbqbeans

• Standard User
  • Mark
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »
Just noticed this thread.  I believe the Ashe Roaster is what Suzanne at Lion's Gate uses for her roasted Kona customers.