Author Topic: Show Off your Espresso Machine  (Read 63872 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Show Off your Espresso Machine
« Reply #465 on: October 16, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
Danged, that is a pretty set-up!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

RobertL

« Reply #466 on: October 16, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »
Thank you!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
Thank you!

Sounds great and looks great Robert. I like the PID, 5 minutes heating up time from for an espresso shot! Much more efficient than my HX machine and with the PID, much more accurate temperature for your shot!

Good purchase!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline drg02b

• Standard User
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
RECOMMENDATIONS?

So, instead of starting a new thread, I'm hoping people will see this and can give me recommendations -- I'm interested in getting into espresso and wondering what a good quality starter brewer would be.  I've had experience with the stovetop percolators, and definitely don't like their taste. I've heard that you have to spend $400-700 on a machine to do it right, but I noticed SM's had a video review of the Flair for $160 (manual press) and said their staff really like it.

Do people have any experience with the Flair, and or any other similarly priced (or cheaper) options that are almost as good as the high end machines?

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
What is "right" really depends.  I started with a Mokka pot, moved on to a $100 (1980's dollars) pressure machine, the a fancier Swiss machine,... In the end, I was really satisfied only when I broke the $2,000 barrier.  I wish I could be satisfied with $160, though.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »
I think there's a Flair thread around here somewhere, albeit not much in it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline vberch

• Standard User
« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »
You can have great espresso on the budget by buying a second hand Zassenhaus or PeDe hand grinder and a used La Pavoni, Espresso Forge, Portaspresso Rossa or new Flair. If you shop around you can stay within $200 or $250. This is a great way to venture into the wonderful world of espresso.

Over the years I've purchased a number of used Gaggia Baby, Carezza and Pure espresso machines (Italian made, single boiler, well built inexpensive machines) for less than a $100, refurbished them and gifted them to my friends. If you want to spend even less, for less than $50, I'd stick with Bialetti, Aeropress, French Press, Turkish Cezve/Ibrik or drip paired with a hand grinder and enjoy wonderful coffee.

RECOMMENDATIONS?

So, instead of starting a new thread, I'm hoping people will see this and can give me recommendations -- I'm interested in getting into espresso and wondering what a good quality starter brewer would be.  I've had experience with the stovetop percolators, and definitely don't like their taste. I've heard that you have to spend $400-700 on a machine to do it right, but I noticed SM's had a video review of the Flair for $160 (manual press) and said their staff really like it.

Do people have any experience with the Flair, and or any other similarly priced (or cheaper) options that are almost as good as the high end machines?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:02:25 PM by vberch »
Roasting and having a blast with a US Corp 1-lb Roaster.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
RECOMMENDATIONS?

When it comes to espresso the most important tool will be to have a good grinder in order to produce the crema. With the good grinder you will find that you can pull great espresso shots even with an inexpensive second hand Gaggia espresso machine.

Now where you go from there depends on you. You may end up with a multi group espresso machine; or not.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
I think Joe is looking at the Flair....probably can sum it up in under 69 pages.  ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
RECOMMENDATIONS?

Here's this forum's version of the HB thread: http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php/topic,20933.0.html

You have the benefit of this forum being impartial and not giving it a good review in exchange for a free product or whatever else. You'll probably understand more if you read through the thread. No idea how the flair performs, but you won't catch me buying one if they only allow reviews of it that are positive and said positive review is decided beforehand. Also, I think there was something about an "impartial" reviewer actually working for the company. Frankly I don't have time to work out the details of less than honest companies.

I'm with MP, spend only what you have and feel comfortable with spending. Lean more towards a good grinder. If you are mechanically inclined you could easily do what I and others have done, purchase a cheap second-hand grinder and refurb it yourself. The same goes with an espresso machine. Be careful if you do decide to go the refurb route, some brands can hose you on cost of parts :/.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
I think Joe is looking at the Flair....probably can sum it up in under 69 pages.  ;D

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah should be a quick assessment.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline drg02b

• Standard User
« Reply #476 on: April 13, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
After only 4 hours with the Flair, I can say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... lol, thanks for the product positioning backstory (I apparently don't follow these threads close enough).

As far as picking up old machines on the cheap, do you usually find them online or more through local options?

Thanks all for the advice.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #477 on: April 13, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
After only 4 hours with the Flair, I can say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... lol, thanks for the product positioning backstory (I apparently don't follow these threads close enough).

As far as picking up old machines on the cheap, do you usually find them online or more through local options?

Thanks all for the advice.

Absolutely you will find them online. Make Google search and Craigslist your friend. Keep scouring the big towns and cities across the  US. You will be surprised what you will find.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline newroaster

• Standard User
« Reply #478 on: April 27, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
Ordered a Flair today. Should be up & running by 5/2. I too have heard it's the best thing since sliced bread, both from Mark Prince (Coffeegeek) and home-barista.com

We'll see.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Ordered a Flair today. Should be up & running by 5/2. I too have heard it's the best thing since sliced bread, both from Mark Prince (Coffeegeek) and home-barista.com

We'll see.

Please give us your assessmment of the Rick Flair grinder.

;)
lp, 7-Ski