Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93450 times)

Offline 187

• Standard User
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
PM
makes sense to me especially since I missed the input sequence on the panel and my first 3 roasts defaulted to P1. And actually, slightly altering weights will allow one to fine tune even more than by just using the options afforded on the keypad.
Eat more lamb, drink more coffee.

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »
Bingo.  Success.  Roasted 1 lb of Costa Rican from PeechDogg.  Used 1#/Program D/Profile 1.  Gorgeous, even full city roast.

1C @ 15:25.  Initiated cool at 19:00 (added 1 min) and got a couple of snaps of 2C during cooling. (guidance in the manual suggests 3:20 elapse from start of 1C to 2C with 1 1b.  Very close).

Observations: 
^  Again, quiet.  Remarkably quiet.
^  Excellent cooling agitation of the beans.  Wherein on the Gene, that tumbler is hot, on the Behmor, it is different.  I had the door open at 15 seconds into the cool.  The thermals dissipate very quickly and the rolling, tumbling of the beans in the hopper resemble the professional cooling trays of a large drum roaster.  There just isn't any built up heat like there is in the Gene.
^  Extremely uniform roast.

Question:  I just don't get the function of the "program" buttons.  What function do they serve.  I have read it 3 times and don't understand their purpose.  Does A always go with P1, B always go with P2, C always go with P3...or can they be varied?

Answer:  I did some reading on CoffeeProject this morning and Programs (a, b, c, d) refer to the length.  Makes me think I did (Program A) since the readout counted back from 18:00.  Time for some more work on it:
http://www.coffeeproject.com/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.StandardStarts

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:12:36 AM by BoldJava »

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 04:35:04 AM »
Bold Java..

Part V... points 4, 5, 6..

Essentially A-D are short cut Program times to associated Profiles..

Yes you can go 1 --- B (no need to hit P1 as it is default) . Any other Proflie and the button sequence must be... weight... profile.... program(time)..

In some instance on P1 and P2.. C and D will be blocked because they exceed the maximum allowed time associated with the profile

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 04:38:07 AM »
Bold Java..

Part V... points 4, 5, 6..

Essentially A-D are short cut Program times to associated Profiles..

Yes you can go 1 --- B (no need to hit P1 as it is default) . Any other Proflie and the button sequence must be... weight... profile.... program(time)..

In some instance on P1 and P2.. C and D will be blocked because they exceed the maximum allowed time associated with the profile

Thanks Joe.  I see the sun rises early today in Incline Village.

Love having a roaster than can put out 1#, in the house, during these long Wisconsin winter.  Thanks for the efforts over the last 9 years.

B|Java

Offline 187

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 05:32:24 AM »
BJ  you've got company in being baffled by the letters. I can't fathom what Part V #4 says either. I do know that if you put in the letter before the P# you will default to P1. I did this three times until Joe straightened me out.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 06:19:35 AM »
Bold..

My office is in Incline..but I'm still in San Diego until sometime next year... No benefit to move up there until then... Have someone sharing the office minding the store as it will until then...

But I'm up early in SD...

Offline 187

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
Last night I roasted 1/2lb half poco fundo the other half peru, guat, sulawessi, in equal proportions wnd a little MM. My setting was 1/2 P4 D --  andI needed ++++ at the end to get to the 1st pop of 2c,. The roast was a FC+.  Tonight I did the same blend 1/2 P4 D ++++ and barely made it out of 1C . I guess I would have been better to add the ++++ after the roast started in order to force the additional time at full power.Comments please.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 06:43:50 PM »
Last night I roasted 1/2lb half poco fundo the other half peru, guat, sulawessi, in equal proportions wnd a little MM. My setting was 1/2 P4 D --  andI needed ++++ at the end to get to the 1st pop of 2c,. The roast was a FC+.  Tonight I did the same blend 1/2 P4 D ++++ and barely made it out of 1C . I guess I would have been better to add the ++++ after the roast started in order to force the additional time at full power.Comments please.

What was your idle line voltage & full power line voltage for both roasts?

If you do not have a Kill-a-Watt or similar, get one, along with a 20 amp Variac.  Any electric home roaster will benefit greatly from this investment, mainly in the form of repeatability for yourself, and the ability to share with others profiles that have actual meaning.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
P4 and P5 are really meant for lighter roasters... they were designed to come in that way...

If you are looking for a gentle rise but more towards FC.. P3..

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »

If you do not have a Kill-a-Watt or similar, get one, along with a 20 amp Variac.  Any electric home roaster will benefit greatly from this investment, mainly in the form of repeatability for yourself, and the ability to share with others profiles that have actual meaning.

Chris, could you point me in a direction to better understand what these two pieces of equipment do? Something to read, or your own explanation. I think I understand the kill-a-watt (sav-a-watt?) measures the current, and the Variac actively adjusts it, yes? In order to arrive at a consistent flow?

THanks in advance, Paul

BoldJava

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 05:23:01 AM »
Last night I roasted 1/2lb half poco fundo the other half peru, guat

I claim no expertise on the Behmor.  I would suggest that part of the problem comes from roasting the Brazil with hard beans.  The only blended beans I roast together are a Red Sea Blend, when the beans are all from the same relative growing elevation.

When I want a Brazil in a blend, I have always roasted it separately.

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:41:41 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 05:44:07 AM »
Bingo.  Success.  Roasted 1 lb of Costa Rican from PeechDogg.  Used 1#/Program D/Profile 1.  Gorgeous, even full city roast.

1C @ 15:25.  Initiated cool at 19:00 (added 1 min) and got a couple of snaps of 2C during cooling. (guidance in the manual suggests 3:20 elapse from start of 1C to 2C with 1 1b.  Very close).

Observations:  ...

Sipping on the Costa Rican  from the Behmor this morning in a press pot.

Joe, you built a fine roaster, my friend.  Thank you.  The coffee is full of individual nuances; no 'baked' beans here at all.  I think the Behmor and I have a future together.

B|Java

Offline 187

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 07:18:50 AM »
Did 1/2 lb of Peechdogg's  Costa Ricican  P4  D   . It was fantastic. Life is good.

Marlyece

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 08:54:08 AM »
What settings might you recommend for Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend? Perhaps P2 or P3? Any suggestions? Maybe you, Joe?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 09:19:55 AM »

Chris, could you point me in a direction to better understand what these two pieces of equipment do? Something to read, or your own explanation. I think I understand the kill-a-watt (sav-a-watt?) measures the current, and the Variac actively adjusts it, yes? In order to arrive at a consistent flow?

THanks in advance, Paul

Check these:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/07/behmor-tutorial/

http://ineedcoffee.com/07/iroast2-guide/

The Variac allows you to feed the roaster the same line voltage, and the Kill-a-Watt allows you to accurately set that (and read it) with an accurate digital display (which my Variac does not have).  Though the KaW does read all sorts of things, voltage is the important one here.

A typical Variac will not actively adjust the voltage, but if you set it before roasting, usually you are safe for the 15-20 minutes it takes for the roast.  I see voltage shifts over a period of time, and at certain times. Middle of a weekday in Fall is pretty high voltage coming out of the outlet, whereas a Sunday afternoon in August is pretty low.