Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93463 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
We have found over the course of many tests using P2 it will give you only a few 1st cracks then go silent, moving gently into 2nd crack in the times shown below.

Why/how does it do that?

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2007, 09:07:06 AM »
Just roasted 8 oz of Panama La Esmeralda Geisha.  P2/14:45 min

Exquisite, uniform full city roast.  Two pops of second when it kicked into cool.  Very little chaff.

The Behmor roasted 6 pounds of Breakfast Guest Blend (3/2/1, Braz/Sum/Malawi) yesterday without flinching.  I marvel at the uniformity of the roast.  I roast with the window cracked, with the Behmor under the hood fan, with the screens off.  Close the kitchen door.  You can not smell the roast in other rooms.  This is critical in that the Czarina's asthma would get set off by the Gene Cafe.

No more.

B|Java

dbcoffee

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2007, 05:57:22 PM »
We have found over the course of many tests using P2 it will give you only a few 1st cracks then go silent, moving gently into 2nd crack in the times shown below.

Why/how does it do that?

John F

I've noticed that too.  What I've been doing is a 9oz roast on the 1lb setting and I get a more developed 1st crack before the roast levels off and coasts to the second crack.  I've been trying to manipulate that timing of roast legs, but I don't quite understand that of the machine.  I have gone 9oz 1lb roast P2 b or c and then maxing out the minutes.  If I'm understanding correctly I'm adding time to the second leg of the roast, therefore effectively developing the roast of the coffee.

dbcoffee

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
I would guess that p2 tends to dry out the beans more before they approach first crack. Not saying that this is right or wrong (I don't know, and there are arguments both ways), but would attribute the nominal first crack to the beans having given up much of their moisture by that point (due to a very successful "drying phase").

Again, I don't know what is best. But fwiw I have been using P3 with very good success for half pound roasts using 1/2, p3 and an extra minute or two.
Catch and release - into the grease!

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
I can say from experience that when I slow ramp my beans with my variaced heating element poppery I, I will not get a first crack.  But it has to be a very slow ramp.  I have done this several times.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »
I can say from experience that when I slow ramp my beans with my variaced heating element poppery I, I will not get a first crack.  But it has to be a very slow ramp.  I have done this several times.

Now I'm super curious.........

What happens after that, do you pass by sans first crack but still go into an audible second?

How did those roasts turn out in the cup?

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »

Now I'm super curious.........

What happens after that, do you pass by sans first crack but still go into an audible second?

How did those roasts turn out in the cup?

John F

Great.  The slow ramp allowed the flavors to develope.  I hardly ever (accidently happens occassionaly) take mine beyond city + to full city.  I never go to second crack for myself.  Only if someone requests a dark roast do I go that dark.  I like to taste the origin flavors.  And when you put enough coffee in the press pot, it will be strong enough to taste anyway.

A lot of times I roast with a thermoprobe in the roast chamber and roast only by tempature.  And for me that means I don't roast above 235-240 and usually to 225-230 Degrees F.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 07:05:53 AM »
As a quick aside on P2..

The basis for this profile was recommended to me by Ted Lingle who at the time was Exec.Dir. of the SCAA...and whose family has been roasting coffee for generations..

Merely an FYI...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 07:26:48 AM »
As a quick aside on P2..

The basis for this profile was recommended to me by Ted Lingle who at the time was Exec.Dir. of the SCAA...

Did he recommend the profile as in "the ramp" or actually muting the first crack?

Ted Lingle is the man in my book no doubt, but there is very little information I can find about muting the first crack (in progress) and that is the crux of my question.

John F

Lee Morrison

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
When we met he just asked... "is there anyway to... std up... then drop for a length of time... then up the final 10%..."

He saw gen 1 had dial timers etc.. so when I digitized everything.. his request was honored..

I think the minimal 1st crack is merely a byproduct of the profile...

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »
Joe, thanks so much for posting here. I have a question: Is it possible now, or might it be possible in a future version, to have the profiles remain constant (time wise) between different weights? In other words, can I get that same 15 minute roast profile for the full pound that I get for the 1/2 pound? As it is now, it adds several minutes (3-6) to the roast profile when I up the weight.

Paul

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »

Yeah, I agree with ya on that point.

I think it is a very interesting topic but I'm just not sure right now where to look or who has the coffee science/chemistry information in their head to offer many solid answers. 

Maybe later........ :-\

John F

Lee Morrison

SeeGars

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »
Just tried a couple batches last night!!!!

I love it!!!!!

Glacier

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
Just tried a couple batches last night!!!!

I love it!!!!!

Hey there SeeGars!

New roaster eh?- What did you roast on before?

P.S. Welcome to the GCBC...how did you find us? make your self at home, feel free to intoduce yourself, make sure you ask lots of questions, lotta good people and a whole lotta info to read and learn about.

Congrats on the new espresso machine as well as the new roaster!!

dbcoffee

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »

Yeah, I agree with ya on that point.

I think it is a very interesting topic but I'm just not sure right now where to look or who has the coffee science/chemistry information in their head to offer many solid answers. 

Maybe later........ :-\

John F

Well, what concerns me is that the roast is stalling before or during first crack.  If P2's roast profile is 100% for the first leg of the roast and isn't getting a complete first crack before the power decreases, wouldn't that "bake" the beans? 

I don't think I've seen that.  Today I roasted some Peruvian beans with the P2 profile and I didn't hear signs of first crack at all, unless is was muted and shortened....  It smells fantastic so far... 

~dbcoffee