Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93476 times)

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2007, 06:07:24 PM »
I think the minimal 1st crack is merely a byproduct of the profile...

Yeah, I agree with ya on that point.

I think it is a very interesting topic but I'm just not sure right now where to look or who has the coffee science/chemistry information in their head to offer many solid answers. 

Maybe later........ :-\

John F

Well, what concerns me is that the roast is stalling before or during first crack.  If P2's roast profile is 100% for the first leg of the roast and isn't getting a complete first crack before the power decreases, wouldn't that "bake" the beans? 

I don't think I've seen that.  Today I roasted some Peruvian beans with the P2 profile and I didn't hear signs of first crack at all, unless is was muted and shortened....  It smells fantastic so far... 

~dbcoffee

FWIW, on the advice of a local professional roaster who had been playing with one of the earlier models for awhile I have been using 1/2 lb., P3, C for 1/2 pound of beans, sometimes adding some time (less than a minute) near the end, with good results. Looking at the profiles in the manual I was originally inclined toward P2, but I don't plan to change my method for awhile. Again just FWIW.
Catch and release - into the grease!

BoldJava

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
FC+ and beyond...anyone going there?

Curious what you are doing for espresso roasts...amount, profile, bean, origin, etc.  I took some Monkey Espresso Blend from S/M to FC+ last evening without issues, window open, hood stove on.  Wnated to hit Vienna but I quit while I was ahead.

B|Java

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
I think I have a problem with the P2 profile also.  In BW's earlier writings about temperature profiles, he suggested a ramp up to 300* and then a hold there to allow most of the water to evaporate from the beans.  After that a ramp to the 350-370* range with a hold at that point to allow good caramelization of the sugars.  From there an increase in temperature to bring in the first crack and then a further increase in temp for the start of second crack if wanted.  If the ramp in temperature is too fast, it favors the formation of chlorogenic acids that cause bitterness, instead of the caramelization of sugars that gives a sweeter character to the coffee.
My rough calculation of a 1# roast using the P2 profile shows a rise in temperature from ambient to 482* in 4 minutes.  Then a hold at 482* for 7 minutes, followed by a decrease in temperature to 356* taking approx. 1 minute.  The roast then holds at 356* for 5 minutes before ramping back up to 482* in 1 minutes time, and holding there until completion.  It seems to me that this profile would lead to 1st crack starting at around the 10-11 minute range and then the roast stalling for 5-6 minutes when the temperature is backed down to 356*.  When it goes back up to 482* for the finnish of the roast the 2nd crack probably comes in pretty fast.
I have been using the P3 profile with very good success when anticipating when the start of 2nd crack will begin, and hitting the manual cooling 10-15 sec. before this point.  I sometimes will get a snap or two of 2nd crack in the first 30 sec. of cooling.
I actually think that P5 most resembles the guidelines that BW has referred to but the center leg of the roast seems to be a little long.  I am going to experiment with shortening this leg by adjusting the profile with time additions and subtractions.

kelppaddy

Offline Curtis

• Standard User
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »

Curious what you are doing for espresso roasts...amount, profile, bean, origin, etc.  I took some Monkey Espresso Blend from S/M to FC+ last evening without issues, window open, hood stove on.  Wnated to hit Vienna but I quit while I was ahead.

B|Java

I've been there, accidently and on purpose.  Beans with more chaff can be a problem, namely smoke and smoldering chaff.  A pleasant suprise was the Kenya Karabuta peaberry.  Plenty of chaff, but at a City roast was better than out of the RK drum.  I had to straighten all the wires in the basket to keep the small screen size from falling through (I don't know if anyone else had wires slightly bent ). 

Curtis

BoldJava

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2007, 02:52:15 AM »
I think I have a problem with the P2 profile also. ...

I have been using the P3 profile with very good success when anticipating when the start of 2nd crack will begin, and hitting the manual cooling 10-15 sec. before this point.  I sometimes will get a snap or two of 2nd crack in the first 30 sec. of cooling....

I actually think that P5 most resembles the guidelines that BW has referred to but the center leg of the roast seems to be a little long.

kelppaddy

I have used P2 for high grown beans and have had success getting them right to the edge of or a couple of pops in the second crack as it cools.  (I use 400 grams, about 14 oz rather than a pound).

P3 has been perfect for Brazils and espresso blends.

P5 has Kona written all over it and some Orchid Isle Kona came out beautifully.  Much nicer roast than my Gene was putting on it.  I don't blame the Gene.  That merely suggests I was going hotter in the Gene.  When I break it back out this Spring/Summer for outside use, I will try and mimic that Behmor roast profile on the Gene.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:54:57 AM by BoldJava »

SeeGars

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
As a new member of this forum.... WOW!

Thanks for sharing all the info on this roaster.  I received mine on Monday and will be having lots of roasting fun this weekend. 

Thanks for the tips!

dbcoffee

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »

I had a fire in my roaster, full blown. :violent5: Before I could hit cool it shut down and proceeded to ventilate.  Good thing I was roasting in the garage, because, oh my goodness, their was a lot of smoke!!!!  :o  I've tried my darndest to clean it out, but I still can't get 100% of the awful smell associated with the fire.  ??? So far, I can't tell a difference in my roasted beans.....   

~dbcoffee

Marlyece

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »
You had a fire in your Behmor?  Whoah.  I've been roasting FC+ nearly every time and haven't had anything like that happen.  Is your machine functioning at all?

Marlyece ???

dbcoffee

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2007, 05:47:28 PM »
You had a fire in your Behmor?  Whoah.  I've been roasting FC+ nearly every time and haven't had anything like that happen.  Is your machine functioning at all?

Marlyece ???

As far as I can tell and I've roasted about 7lbs since everything is working fine.

SeeGars

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »
YIKES!!!! :-X

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
  • I thought I had a handle on life....then it broke.
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2007, 10:15:12 AM »
Fire...WOW!!  While I don't roast to FC+ and beyond in the Behmor, I have had a small issue once or twice.  If beans fall through the basket wire, they can be a problem.  They char and produce quite a bit of smoke.  The ones that stick in the wire and char don't cause a problem.  If a few beans fell in the back, near the lamps, I could see them going up in flames.  I have an easy solution to that problem.  I put the greens into the basket with a few extra grams.  Simply run the cool cycle.  The small beans will drop to the floor of the roaster.  Just sweep them up for roasting later in the popper. I find that this works perfectly, even for the Ethiopians.  There are only a few that fall through.  The notorious Oromia Harar, for example dropped about 3gms. per pound of greens.  That's about .7%.  A pretty small amount.  No more fell during the roast.

Marlyece

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2007, 10:40:41 AM »
Good suggestion!  John, do you know when the basket for smaller beans will be available?

Thanks,

Marlyece

dbcoffee

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »
john, I like that idea.  I have about a pound of Yirgacheff and a couple pounds of Yemen Mokka San'ni that has all different sized and broken beans....   

As far as the fire went, the Behmor did exactly what the manual said.  The lamps shut down, and it started it's cooling cycle automatically.  But the inside of the roast was coated with a black tar and it smelled awful.  The roaster is functioning fine now, but I'm worried that I've damaged the lamps and they will fail sooner than others that weren't in a fire.  Note to self, never ever walk away from a roaster while it's running....   :violent4: Learned my lesson the hard way....     ???  :BangHead:

FinerGrind

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2007, 12:42:18 PM »
I've started doing a "pre-shake" of the drum after I fill it with DP coffees.  I have a huge stainless steel bowl I hold it over, and shake to see if any fall out. As you say, you can drop a lot of Harrars.  The Harrar roast was one of the most even I've ever done; not one shaker.

Marlyece

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »
Joe Behm kindly replied to my inquiry and told me the small grid cylinder will be available from distributors around the first week of January.  This should be good for those smaller beans that slip through the square grid. This should resolve these issues.