Author Topic: Rossi RR45  (Read 7034 times)

milowebailey

Rossi RR45
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:24:50 AM »
As some of you know I just picked up a Rossi RR45 grinder.  The grinder works great, but the Dosering lever is broken.  I don't know if there are any other parts missing from the doser, but I was wondering if anyone had one of these and would be willing to let me know what parts they think I need.  Below are a few photos. 

There are two parts I didn't know what they were or even if they went to this grinder.  They were in the doser when I got the grinder

Also I'm wondering if I could convert this to a non-doser grinder, is there a kit/modifications I can do to replace the doser with a shoot or something?

thanks

Milowebailey

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Rossi RR45
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »
What I would do is gut the doser.

If it's broken anyway I'd pull everything out of the way and get some small pastry brushes to use for now.

This way you can search for parts if you choose to rebuild it later but still use it.

I killed my doser but kept the sweep lever part operational just to move the grounds but it sounds like that might be the part that is broken. 

1 vote for gut it.  ;)

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
Does this picture help?  I've bought one of these off of eBay from a used restaurant supply house. It grinds nice and even for espresso and has just a small amount of fines doing course grinds. Since I usually only grind enough for a couple of doubles at a time, the doser is more hassle than it's worth. I usually just dose into a small bowl and use a pastry brush to clean it out each time. A doserless mod would be nice, but I haven't seen one.

I'm not sure what the spring is in your second picture, but the pin is for the step adjustment for the grind settings. The bottom of the adjustment collar has holes that the pin goes into to keep it in position. There's a hole it goes into in the top of the case on the upper left side just under the edge of the collar.

Looking at your top picture, it looks like you need at least the doser handle and the brass bin that keeps the cam from turning the wrong way. It goes in where that spring is sticking out at 2:30 in the top picture. It's hard to tell what other parts you may need inside the dosing chamber from your picture.

I'd be happy to help out if you have more questions. Just let me know.

http://www.espressoparts.com/category/03.03.rossi.rossidoser/
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:00:25 AM »
Does this picture help? 
Yes, thanks

I'm not sure what the spring is in your second picture, but the pin is for the step adjustment for the grind settings. The bottom of the adjustment collar has holes that the pin goes into to keep it in position. There's a hole it goes into in the top of the case on the upper left side just under the edge of the collar.

thanks,  I don't see the whole, but I'll look again when I get home on Sunday.

Here are a couple of photos... before and after cleaning.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »
Here's where it goes.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
aaahh, I was thinking from the photo that it was a screw..

thanks

Milowebailey

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »
What do you guys think about this one?

It was offered to me for $150...

Monito

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
Since you're asking...

I think you should get it.

And put some new burrs in it.

But first talk them down to $100 to cover the new burrs.

And then start your own thread.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
Does it sound like it needs new burrs?

Thanks,

Monito

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »
It looks like practically the same machine with a few minor difference. The doser looks like the exact same unit (except for the tamper and lid) on the RR45. The grind collar and the top of the burrs look to be the same, as far as I can tell. It sounds like my RR45, too. I fully expect to be using mine into my dotage...

I say go for it. Burrs are ~$40 if it uses the same ones as the RR45.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »
Does it sound like it needs new burrs?

Thanks,

Monito

The answer to your question can't be discerned from a video.  It's just a given that a used grinder gets new burrs.  Unless you know who had it, how they used it, and when they replaced the burrs. 

That's a workhorse grinder though, and you'll like it if you have the room for it.  Think of how you'll be able to impress people too!   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
The lady doesn't want to come down in price. She tells me that she service it every year, etc., etc  :P

Monito

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 06:18:12 AM »
So now that the Espresso machine is back together.  I decided to modify the Rossi Grinder to make it doser-less.

I have the modification almost complete, and will post photos once I get it done.

I think it's going to work sweet ;D

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
I'd really like to see those pictures when you're done. A doser on a grinder for home use is just about useless.  I'm tired of cleaning mine out constantly.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 12:07:18 AM »
I'd really like to see those pictures when you're done. A doser on a grinder for home use is just about useless.  I'm tired of cleaning mine out constantly.

I went from doser to doserless to doserless and back to doser.

I am not as particular about every microscopic old coffee ground as some, but what killed the doserless for me was the clumping, not to mention the attention it requires.  With a doser, you can grind your portion of beans and walk away, come back and do your thing.  With the doserless, when you grind, you must be in front holding the PF.  Even if you have a container sitting there to catch them, then you have more fly away debris.  The doser seems to waste more, but that just isn't an issue any more.