Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81208 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Hottop and colder weather
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
No, what's unthinkable is... no coffee. ;-)

Build a shed....  :P
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Pyment

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 05:23:33 PM »
I am thinking sod huts are big in Canada.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:11:21 PM by Pyment »

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »
Awesome. In the image above, it looks like my garage has a chimney to vent the roasting fumes when the temps drop to -80 degrees.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »

If it got below -20 ...snip... I've roasted in temps below -40.

Is that Canadian degrees? Seriously If I hadn't joined the military which had me moved to New Jersey and stayed in cold places like Alaska in January etc... I would never know what cold weather really means. Sucks.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Pyment

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »
Builds character(s)! look at the Cabal. ::)

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »
Builds character(s)! look at the Cabal. ::)

You aint kidding.

B/Java
Rasqual
Masked flying Py
Jeffo
Peter the Great
whom else?

Pyment

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
We've had RonL, 7over and visits from others

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »
Awesome. In the image above, it looks like my garage has a chimney to vent the roasting fumes when the temps drop to -80 degrees.

Uhhh Shaun, I don't think that is a Garage. I think it's a duplex, and the small side is where Grandpa sleeps. They don't have Garages for horse drawn Carriages, they are called "Barns". But I think this picture is actually from Utah very recently, don't let the old clothes and lack of technology fool you.

Joe

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 04:51:03 AM »
Hey, it's my dream home don't go calling it a duplex. I like to think of it as a bungalow with attached garage and a view. ;-)

Pyment

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 06:10:23 AM »
It is actually in Saskatchewan. I wouldn't offer staylor a fraud.

donfo

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
I'm still roasting in the house...... at least until I get kicked out to the garage. I'm using a Gene Cafe so the smoke has not been too bad. That being said..... snow is part of reality here in Canada.

Don

bibletec

Re: Hottop
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
I have a question about higher drop temps on the Hottop. How long does it take you to get to 300 F? I thought the standard 6 min was an important point to maintain in the roasting profile.

cfsheridan

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
Recently replaced the "P" panel with a "B" panel and added environment and bean mass temperature probes.

Pictures and write-up at the blog link below.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
Recently replaced the "P" panel with a "B" panel and added environment and bean mass temperature probes.

Very cool!  I have the P, and sometimes wonder whether a B would not be better.  I have asked Michael at HotTop to set up a forum on their site so HT users can share their profiles for different beans.  The bean mass thermo seems to be very valuable, but why did you install another environmental thermo?  Is the installed thermo not accurate enough, or do you want the USB from your datalogger?
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

cfsheridan

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »

Very cool!  I have the P, and sometimes wonder whether a B would not be better.  I have asked Michael at HotTop to set up a forum on their site so HT users can share their profiles for different beans.  The bean mass thermo seems to be very valuable, but why did you install another environmental thermo?  Is the installed thermo not accurate enough, or do you want the USB from your datalogger?

The standard thermocouple is coupled too closely to the rear wall temperature, so it varies with outside air temperature and whether the roaster is cold or hot.  It tracks well with the profile, so it serves its purpose for the stock model, but it is not an accurate measure of the environmental temperature driving the beans.

I had a little trouble this morning--was getting some goofy things with the environmental probe--its temperature went lower than the bean temp with the heater on (and bean temperature rising after 1st crack was concluded).  I knew it was off.  Pulled the TC wire out from the tube a bit on both probes, and the next three roasts tracked perfectly.

Here's what makes having temperature and full control great:

First two roasts were intended to be FC/FC+ with a Triple-pick Sumatra.  Both went between 4-5 minutes from first crack start to end of roast, with end bean temp around 440.  Last roast was an Ethiopian Natural Sidamo, which I pulled at 420, but with the control and temperature monitoring, I still had over 4 minutes from start of first to end of roast, without stalling.

"Vincent!  We happy?"
"Yeah, we happy."

I'll have a few profiles posted later today.