Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81194 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Hottop
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
Yes, I do agree that the all-or-nothing is a pain, but with the seven stages, I just use short stages to "pulse" the heat.  I have noticed on this latest control panel (see  my meltdown for why I have a new control panel) that the heat is controlled in Celcius, and so the power cuts off a degree or two before what I set it to in Fahrenheit.  It's enough to make a guy want to be bold and go over to the metric side! ;)
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »
It sounds like Hottop needs to combine the best features of the "B" and "P" on its next version of the control panel, namely,

1) the ahead-of-time profiling feature of the "P",

2) variable temperature control for the heater, as in the "B", rather than all (100%) or none (0%), as in the "P",

3) on-the-fly manual adjustments as in the "B".

It would be especially nice if that could be done as an optional panel upgrade for users of the present "B" and "P" roasters -- rather than requiring purchase of a new machine.

Milowbailey is working on it  ;D

Link is here

alongfortheride

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »
Got my new (to me) hot top B coming this week - got on Ebay for $550 shipped, unit looks barely used.  :)

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »
I'm likin' my 'B' model Hot Top.  Had it now for 3 months*, did roast #60 with it the other day.  What I like about this roaster...it's ready to roll with right out of the box.  No learning curve to get a good roast right from the beginning.  The dump feature to get the beans into the cooling tray right out of the roaster 'like now' is pretty awesome.  Push dump and they're cooling, no more heat

Jake
Reddick Fla.

*Time to pull the back off the roaster and dust it out some (according to the user manual)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »
You said it, Jake! I have a Sonofresco also but the Hottop B gets the most mileage in my home. I use it especially for the high end beans that we get here on GCBC - the JBM, IMV, Gesha, and Konas all get roasted on the Hottop only. Haven't pooched a roast on it yet!
No coffee, No workee!

krus

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »
Does anyone know how much influence the distance from element to drum makes? Ive had my Hottop for just over 1 year and noticed the element was a bit warped and it was slightly resting on the inside of the metal housing so I decided it might be time to replace it even though it seemed to be heating the beans ok. As I was installing the new one, I found that I had to bend the feet slightly in order to get it positioned correctly and not contact the drum as it rotates. It's position is definitely closer to the drum than before but I didn't think too much of it. My first roast with the new element was quite a bit faster than before and following my previous profile, 1C and 2C ran together. I'm not sure if it's due to the element being new or the position of it that is the factor. Looks like I'm going to have to adjust my roast profile or batch size with the new element. What do you think? Thanks

- Matt

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
crimpo (Chas rimpo), a member here has replaced his Hot Top's heater element before.  I'm sure he would have some worthy input for you 

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Stubbie

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
Does anyone know how much influence the distance from element to drum makes? Ive had my Hottop for just over 1 year and noticed the element was a bit warped and it was slightly resting on the inside of the metal housing so I decided it might be time to replace it even though it seemed to be heating the beans ok. As I was installing the new one, I found that I had to bend the feet slightly in order to get it positioned correctly and not contact the drum as it rotates. It's position is definitely closer to the drum than before but I didn't think too much of it. My first roast with the new element was quite a bit faster than before and following my previous profile, 1C and 2C ran together. I'm not sure if it's due to the element being new or the position of it that is the factor. Looks like I'm going to have to adjust my roast profile or batch size with the new element. What do you think? Thanks

- Matt

I think you are exactly right.  The new element will burn hotter than the element with many hours on it, and it's proximity to the drum will also speed things up.

We're always tweaking profiles to get the best out of the bean, I bet you get this one figured out pretty quick!

-Stubbie

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »
I replaced my heating element a couple of months ago and noticed slightly shorter roast times on my usal profiles so I had to adjust for that. This happens when I replace the filters also. That's why I love the B so much. I can pretty much tweak my roast on the fly.
No coffee, No workee!

alongfortheride

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:25 AM »
Any advice on working with the 'D' model?  Looks like time is the only parameter I can adjust.  Sipping my first roast of Brazil Moreninha at 17:30 and it's light years ahead of anything I've done by heat gun or the Fresh Roast.  Only resting about 12 hours, too.

Steve7

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
Noticed the display gives temp if Farenheit.

Does it switch to centigrade too??? (particularly UK models).

I would hate to be stuck without modern measures!!

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »
Steve,  It all depends on which model you have how to change between fahrenheit or celcius.  With the B model unplugged you hold the select button in (depress), plug the unit in and hold the select button for 3 seconds.  the machine then gives an audible double beep.  When you hear the beep, release that button

Now use the chevron up or down to change back and forth between C or F.  When you have display temp you want to use, press the eject button

If you have a different model, go to their online site and choose the model you have and download the user manual.  That info will be in there

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

Steve7

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 02:51:59 AM »
Thanks, mine hasn't been ordered yet, but I wanted to check before I bought it.
Good news, thanks.

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
what is the roast capacity for the hottop?
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

milowebailey

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
~ 1/2 lb capacity