Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81183 times)

Steve7

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
How do you guys create the plots, and the graphs?
Particular software?

I have the B version, and just use the auto function and eject as I hear 2nd crack. Total amateur.

I would like to start plotting some charts to help me learn.

Any advice appreciated (just got the machine temp... will not be fitting a probe).

As an aside, its a damn nuisance that centigrade isn't the common standard!

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »
I have the B version, and just use the auto function and eject as I hear 2nd crack. Total amateur.

~~~Ignorance is bliss isn't it?=:-)

As an aside, its a damn nuisance that centigrade isn't the common standard!

~~~It's easy to change from fahrenheit to celsius.  Go back into this thread and you'll see where I have described the process

By the by, I too use this machine as the factory intended.  Sometimes I'll slow it down, stretching the time between 1st and 2nd crack by dropping the heat a minute before it hits 1st crack but that's about it for me modding my profiles, and I'm getting what I consider good roast results.  And like you, I let the roast hit the front of 2nd crack then stop it.  I may be drinking more of a roast profile but i find the espresso extraction is better hitting 2nd crack, and espresso is what I drink   

Jake
Reddick Fla.

psedillo

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
Over the past month my Hottop has trouble releasing the beans, it appears that something is causing the door to stick and not open properly. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix?

milowebailey

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Over the past month my Hottop has trouble releasing the beans, it appears that something is causing the door to stick and not open properly. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix?
Clean it....you may have to take part of it apart to get in there, but if the hinge for the flap gets full of goo then it will stick and not open well.  If that's not it, then the solenoid is going out.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »
I'd suggest emailing Michael Chang (Hot Top USA in NY) about your trouble.  He may have a good answer and suggestion.  All the times I have taken the drum out of my Hot Top roaster to clean the roaster chamber, I never noticed the door being particularly covered in roasting soot, but I did clean all of the surfaces inside the roaster thorough as possible using a sloution of Joe Glo espresso machine cleaner (high grade of TSP) and warm water/3M pad/sponge.  FWIW, I have had no problems with the door opening and closing when it should.  As far as that goes, I have had no problems with this roaster and just did roast # 94 with it yesterday. 

Jake
Reddick Fla.
The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we have of ourselves with the appalling things that other people think about us.
-- Quentin Crisp

cfsheridan

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
[snip]...As far as that goes, I have had no problems with this roaster and just did roast # 94 with it yesterday. 

That's not even broken in yet.  :P

psedillo

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2009, 07:06:58 AM »
Thank you all for the replies, I'll break it down today and clean it. Sounds like this might fix the problem.

GC7

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
There is an upgraded solenoid hinge for the door that replaced the original within about the last year I believe.  My original HT-B had a defective one that went out and worked intermittently.  Michael replaced it under warranty immediately.  The key to seeing if it is stuck is to take a chopstick with the front cover off and gently push the door open.  If you can't ALWAYS open the door that way you have a problem and it need replacement.  Of course it can't hurt to give it a good cleaning first and check it again but I can't see how it can get shut tight enough to prevent pushing it open.

Good luck and I'm certain Michael will make it right.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
I stopped counting how many roasts I've done on the HT somewhere around the 400th. If I was to guess I'd think maybe 600 roasts???

I've never had the sticking door problem but I take mine completely apart on occasion and get rid of any lodged in chaff and also de-gunk the stickier parts. Mine has been an absolute workhorse and I expect it to continue doing it's thing for some time.

Steve7

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
I think I have done 5?

I feel so young.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Newbie. ;-)

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »
I stopped counting how many roasts I've done on the HT somewhere around the 400th. If I was to guess I'd think maybe 600 roasts???

~~~600 roasts, that's impressive!  What have you needed to replace during this time to keep it running besides the requisite filter replacement?

Anyone log more than 600 roasts?  If so, what's your part failure total, and when (after how many roasts if you logged it)?  I'm going to assume there are some items that will eventually fail like the heating element, motor, etc.  I'm just curious what others have had to do to keep their Hot Top running

Jake
Reddick Fla.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it.
- - George Bernard Shaw

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
I replaced the heating element on the advice of Michael at Hottop USA, as the roast time was starting to slow down. I don't replace my filters too often, I clean them in Cafiza and it seems to work like a charm.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »

~~~600 roasts, that's impressive!  What have you needed to replace during this time to keep it running besides the requisite filter replacement?

Anyone log more than 600 roasts?  If so, what's your part failure total, and when (after how many roasts if you logged it)?  I'm going to assume there are some items that will eventually fail like the heating element, motor, etc.  I'm just curious what others have had to do to keep their Hot Top running

Jake
Reddick Fla.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it.
- - George Bernard Shaw

I am coming up on 1,000 roasts on my Hottop. I have been thru one heating element, two fusible links.(I have eliminated that and looped the connection) One drum had a faulty weld that Michael from Hottop replaced under warranty. Other than that this thing keeps humming along. I attribute the heating element and the fusible links to my rapid cooling of it by running a fan into the chamber to cool it off. I have a brand new Hottop in the garage if this one ever poos out....
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

UnConundrum

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
I bought mine in 2004.  I don't log anything, but I must do at least 150 roasts a year, so that puts me over 600 I guess.  I still have an 8828, no letters, just 8828.  Only thing I've replaced is the control panel which, after about a year, was very, very hard to push the buttons.  A new board was sent to me at no charge.  Although my heating element is warped, I've not replaced anything else.  That's saying a lot as we're very bad at maintenance.  My wife usually roasts the coffee and does no maintenance.  I cleaned it tonight, the chaff tray was sticking out about a half inch due to the accumulation.  We're very poor at replacing the filters....  I'd say it's quite the accolade for their product.