Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 115805 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »

Anyone try to bring the thermocouple up from the bottom of the stir crazy?  I'm thinking of bringing it up from below about an inch from the center spindle and having it 90 keeping it shallow.  The stir arms could be bent up slightly (notched) at that location to pass over the thermocouple.  Just thinking outloud.
I did something like this before, using a beaded thermocouple wire, but peter is right, it makes it a PITA to dump.  I ran mine through a (12 ga.?) copper tube drilled through the side and run along the bottom, where it bent up and through about 1/2 way across. 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »
I had mine like that for a while too; running through a tube into the bean mass, so I could pull it out to dump and then thread it back in to roast.  But it's difficult to get the same position each time, so the temps would vary.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

barko78

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
Here's the start.  Stir arm mods and thermocouple placement next. 

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
Now there's a guy with some extra time on his hands.

What are all those switches for?

barko78

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »

The switch above the meter is the main, one outlet is always hot for some type of lamp should I ever get one, the other three run off the bottom switches.  I had all this stuff in my garage collecting dust.  Another switch is in the works that will drop a huge maple syrup bomb on WI.

I like the portablilty of it.  I made the two cords coming from the stir crazy long enough to dump the coffee without unplugging.  The space to the right where thre greens are is going to have a thingmo to put the hot turbo oven on.  Now for the stirrer.... ???

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »

four outlets and 3 switches... one switch for two outlets (SC motor and TO fan) one switch for SC heat and one for TO heat.???

Am I right?!?!?  do I win a prize?!?!?  or am I just a wiener??  :-X

barko78

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

four outlets and 3 switches... one switch for two outlets (SC motor and TO fan) one switch for SC heat and one for TO heat.???

Pretty close. 
SC motor on a switch, need to add TO fan to this though- I don't have the TO yet and I'm not familiar with it.  If it has seperate fan and heat then I'll combine the fan with the SC motor.
SC heat on a switch
TO heat on a switch

but yeah, pretty spot on.  I'll have to find a prize for you.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »

There's another guy with too much time on his hands.   :-\

The TO will have its power run through a timer.  So if you leave it wired stock, you may as well turn it off with the timer dial. 

barko78

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »

The TO will have its power run through a timer.  So if you leave it wired stock, you may as well turn it off with the timer dial. 
Good point.  I'll see how things go when it arrives.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »

Well separating the fan and heat on the TO means modding and the only reason I would recommend it is if you want to PID the heat.. I like the fact that I can turn off my heat and the fan stays on while I dump the beans out of the SC.... I still have issues with getting the PID to behave but its coming along.  I did leave the timer hooked to the heat  and the handle disconnect tied to the heat but the fan is on when the power is plugged in

barko78

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »

Well separating the fan and heat on the TO means modding and the only reason I would recommend it is if you want to PID the heat.. I like the fact that I can turn off my heat and the fan stays on while I dump the beans out of the SC.... I still have issues with getting the PID to behave but its coming along.  I did leave the timer hooked to the heat  and the handle disconnect tied to the heat but the fan is on when the power is plugged in

I don't think I'll pid the heat, maybe in the future.  My datalogger has a serial output and I'm going to log roasts on my laptop.  If I pid anything it will be the Ambex, I run that all the time. 

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
I recommend focussing on the smells and sounds over extensive instrument readings.  Even variables such as barometric pressure and humidity can affect your roasting, and you cannot measure everything.  It is nice to have a good handle on the temperature and the time, but I think being able to smell the roast development will buy you as much or more as PID'ing your device.

I didn't used to be of this school, but over the past three years I have gone more and more to the paradigm that roasting has at least as much of an 'art' component as a 'science' component.

barko78

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 03:16:24 PM »
I recommend focussing on the smells and sounds over extensive instrument readings.  Even variables such as barometric pressure and humidity can affect your roasting, and you cannot measure everything.  It is nice to have a good handle on the temperature and the time, but I think being able to smell the roast development will buy you as much or more as PID'ing your device.

I didn't used to be of this school, but over the past three years I have gone more and more to the paradigm that roasting has at least as much of an 'art' component as a 'science' component.

I'm probably going to run the roaster without a probe to get to know how it works.  Eventually I'm going to need temp but I have no idea about how this roaster is going to work so i guess I'll just crank er up and see what happens  :)

SusanJoM

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »
My project is moving along....slowly....
David Mankin sent me the security bit I needed to take the bottom off of the Salton popper.
Took half a minute to get it open.
Here's the inside of the bottom.

I have a toggle switch I want to add the the heater wires because I have read that small batches sometimes require/benefit from the extra heat.

And, this model doesn't seem to have the plastic harness that the wires connect through, so....

I'm wondering if anyone can suss out from the picture which wires go where.

Clearly the two blacks coming in from the southeast are the juice.  Two small red wires go into northmost part the silver circular bit in the middle.  (The on off switch is in the housing just beyond that, by the way)

And then three wires (red, white, black) go into the housing there at the southwest.

So....do I need to do another layer of removal to figure out what goes where?  Looks like it would be simple enough to remove the circular bit (obviously I don't quite know what that is), and even the next layer of the inner plastic housing.

Did anyone understand a word of this? 
Sorry

SusanJoM

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
And, here's how it's looking with the yardstick and the silicone tubing settled on the top....well, not quite settled, the circle still is resisting being completely congruent with the slot I want it fitted into, but....I'm assuming it will adapt (or I'll mess with it more)....later