Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 115813 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: SC/TO Profiles, Questions, Tricks, Tips, & Answers
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »
Wire-nuts would be better.

And if you wanted to keep it clean, crimping spades or rings on the wires is preferable for attaching wires to terminals and switches, but not really necessary.

And just to keep your geekiness factor on the increase...   If you have a Radio Shack or electronics store nearby, you may want to consider wiring a small indicator lamp into the circuit too.  Having a little light to remind me when the bottom heat is on has saved plenty of roasts.

As far as the chaff ejector goes, it helps a lot to have the option of open or closed.  You can use the tension of the spacer to stay closed and retain heat, and then prop it open during the roast to allow chaff and/or heat out.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SusanJoM

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
Thanks, David.

I won't be surprised if I don't have to drill another hole in that piece....

I had a hard time figuring out where to drill it, and won't be at all surprised if I don't go through a few more pieces before I find the right place.

Keep your eye on me....I need all the help I can get....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Your roaster is coming along very nicely Susan, despite the apparent character flaws of some of your advisers.

Here's how I formed the ring so it acts as a chaff collector.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:47:18 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »
Also Susan, unless your Turbo Oven spins air in the opposite direction of the others I've seen, you've got the ring exit flipped. It needs to exit in a clockwise direction.

YMMV

SusanJoM

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
Also Susan, unless your Turbo Oven spins air in the opposite direction of the others I've seen, you've got the ring exit flipped. It needs to exit in a clockwise direction.

YMMV

Mine turns counterclockwise.
Looks like yours is set up for a clockwise turn, right?

Tex

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
Mine turns counterclockwise.
Looks like yours is set up for a clockwise turn, right?

Never mind!

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »
Tex,

Download the pdf file I posted a few posts back, please - in it, I mention to Susan that I have 2 Turbo Ovens - one runs clockwise - the other counter clockwise!  Go figure.

I'd appreciate your comments and additions to this 'how to' document.  Susan's never roasted this way before, and likely there are/will be others that might need/read it.

Cheers,

David

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »
Has the need for a copper cap been addressed in the (Susan Roaster) ?? scanning the posts I didn't see it... other than that it looks like a fine piece of tinkering you have their.... 

FWIW  I had the opportunity to see peters design up close and it is in my to do list to adapt several of his ideas (especially the ability to open and close the aluminum ring)   I really want to make stir rods like his but I only have plastic cloths hangers....   :-X  well lets just say its a work in progress  ;D

think about a hot place to put the TO when you are dumping the beans... best I have seen is the rack that may have been included in the bottom of the big glass (ButtWhiskers famous artery clogging mac and cheese bowl) that came with the TO

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »
Unlike the StirCrazy, the UFO comes stock with a metal stirring axle.  I have been running mine with nothing more than a 6mm wing nut for over 2 years w/o the need of a copper cap. 

David
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:53:40 PM by dmankin »

Tex

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
Unlike the StirCrazy, the UFO comes stock with a metal stirring axle.  I have been running mine with nothing more than a 6mm wind nut for over 2 years w/o the need of a copper cap. 

David

Oh yeah, that's one of the advantages to using the Salton popper; no having to jury rig the axle to keep it from melting or coming up with a replacement when it eventually does melt.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »
Unlike the StirCrazy, the UFO comes stock with a metal stirring axle.  I have been running mine with nothing more than a 6mm wind nut for over 2 years w/o the need of a copper cap. 

David

really?? I know my Sunbeam has the metal threads but its in a plastic shaft so I presumed the heat would get to the plastic and still use the copper cap... one of my tweaks will be to modify the slots in the copper cap so it twists side ways and stays on the stir rods when I dump... (like a BNC coax connectors on a flat screen TV)

SusanJoM

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »
Hmmmm....dunno, but I have replaced the plastic top that came with the Salton popper with 2 fender washers and a 6mm wingnut....per my mentors....

Susan

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
Say Tex - is that a picture of you in your profile icon?  Who was that masked man?  8)

OK - it's actually a test of my new signature line.  Here goes nothing.

David

Tex

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
Say Tex - is that a picture of you in your profile icon?  Who was that masked man?  8)

David

Nah, it's a picture of Susan. Good likeness, right?

SusanJoM

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »

David

Nah, it's a picture of Susan. Good likeness, right?

Wait until you're 65....
See if you don't bawl your head off too....
Susan