Author Topic: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 115806 times)

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
Re: SC/TO Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
Something is definitely wrong.  I have a galloping gourmet on my SC/TO and only blew a breaker once when I first started and that was because I had it on a circuit with a freezer which overloaded the 15 AMP breaker. I assume that when you used the extension cord, it blew a different breaker.  I'd take the GG inside or to a friends home and run it without the extension cord.   If it still blows the breaker, than there is something wrong with the GG. Lots of other possibilities, but that is where I'd start.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #661 on: February 12, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
Good answers, Peter.

Do you know the Amp ratings on your different circuits?  Do you have a circuit where you can isolate it so that the TO is the only thing drawing juice?  It might be something like Mr. Morton found, that there's something else running and your TO is just pushing it over the edge.  If you can get it to run for 30sec at 500*, try running it at 400* and see what happens; if you can run it even for 30sec., it would seem to me that the TO doesn't have an internal short.  If you have a Kill-A-Watt or some other way to measure the amperage that the TO is drawing that would help too.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline helderdan

• Standard User
« Reply #662 on: February 19, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I took the TO inside and plugged it in (good advice) and it works there without issue. The electrical in the garage seems to be the weak link. I'll need to do a fair amount of research, as I know next to nothing when it comes to electrical; a good opportunity to finally learn it. If there isn't a reasonably easy fix I may have a SC/TO for sale on the forum soon.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #663 on: February 19, 2016, 07:08:30 PM »
It could be a weak breaker at the box.  It doesn't happen often, but if tracking down another device on the same circuit turns up nothing unusual, I'd replace it.  Pretty cheap too. 

Good luck.
AZ Peter

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
Yup, breakers get old and sometimes weak.

Don't give up on the SC/TO just yet.  You'll want to get to the bottom of the garage power issue anyway.  Besides, there's no better way to roast coffee.   ;)

bobbooks

« Reply #665 on: May 03, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
Simple bigger, better, faster, SC/TO high torque motor replacement for ~$35

Motor from EBay  $23
Search ebay:  “110vac 30rpm reversible motor strong magnetic torque D-shape shaft”

7mm to 8mm shaft coupler 22mm length from ebay  $5
Search ebay:  “5/6/7/8/10/12mm Shaft Coupling Rigid Coupling Coupler Motor”

¼ inch socket extender.  $4 Local hardware store. 
Check extender rod diameter for 8mm.  Most are that size in the 2-3 inch length.
Cut off female end leaving 1.05 inches.

Figure out the center the motor with modification to the plate. Punch a 1 inch hole in the bottom plate.  The motor tabs are taped for 10/32 bolts. 

I used a SPDT center off toggle switch in series with motor.  That way I can select the direction and also stop the rotation.  Radio shack ~ $4  Not necessary!

SC standoffs:  ¾ inch schedule 40 PVC pipe with caps.  Drilled hole in cap and connected to SC with ¼ X 20 4inch bolts.

No problem doing 1+ pounds of beans.  Very powerful torque motor that will not stop.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #666 on: May 03, 2016, 05:26:28 PM »
Outstanding!  That looks easy enough that even I could do it.

bobbooks

« Reply #667 on: May 06, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
New 30rpm motor modification has exceeded my expectations with a perfect even 1lb 2oz roast.   First crack at 8 minutes, dump at beginning of 2nd crack at 12 minutes. 

See the greens spin before roasting at:  https://youtu.be/f1EgAlr3ipc

Final roast in cooling pot.  (Beans look darker on my monitor than they are)

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #668 on: May 06, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
Very nice!  ;D
AZ Peter

bobbooks

« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
I've made several modification updates on my 1+ lb SC/TO roaster

The modification documentations with supply references can be found at:  http://www.bobbooks.net.

I have also linked my roasting profile that I use for the beans I get from Nicaragua and how I adjust and meet the profile with the SC heater diode modification.

I have also posted 2 YouTube videos of the roaster and dryer in progress.  I couldn't be happier with the results!

Bob

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Osidecoffee

• Standard User
« Reply #671 on: April 25, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Hello everybody, I’ve read this post and it’s history on various occasions, but I wanted to start a more current conversation about who’s still using SC/TO’s, and the setups or mods that everyone is running. About 2 years ago I lucked into winning Richard’s donated roaster for the grounds for health auction. It’s made solid coffee for me since then, but I’m looking to possibly change things a little. I currently have no venting setup, besides lifting the turbo oven at various times to eject chaff and extra smoke, so I’m considering that, while also drilling a small hole to insert thermo probes through so I can get more info on each roast.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #672 on: April 25, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Yes, to both the ability to open the spacer ring and temp probes.  The spacer ring mod allow chafe to escape and help control temps in a gentle fashion.  Lifting the TO usually results in too much heat loss.  I have one of Richard's creations which I still use when I'm roasting large quantities for events.  The temp probes allow for consistent roasting without as much focus, although I'm not sure how much it actually improves figuring out a profile.  However, once a profile is dialed in, using temps and a stop watch is very handy. 
AZ Peter

Offline Osidecoffee

• Standard User
« Reply #673 on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the info Peter, I should look in to modifying my spacer ring. I’m not much of a macgyver, and don’t have much (any)  experience with these types of things, but I’ll have to look back at the pictures I’ve seen of the spacer mods to get some inspiration and see what I can do with mine.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #674 on: April 25, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Peter, I should look in to modifying my spacer ring. I’m not much of a macgyver, and don’t have much (any)  experience with these types of things, but I’ll have to look back at the pictures I’ve seen of the spacer mods to get some inspiration and see what I can do with mine.

My spacer ring is just not attached to the base for about 120 degrees of circumference and I use an angled stick to wedge it open when needed.  VERY low tech. 
AZ Peter