Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 122225 times)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »
I'm considering picking up the 2# version. I've read this entire thread and it seems like everyone is happy with this roaster. I'm a little concerned about the E-2 errors. Has anyone figured out what that's all about? I sure would like the extra capacity and I have heard that these put out a quality roast.

I guess what I'm looking for is some people who own these to say if they had it to do all over again that they would still buy this roaster.

Any info, suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob :D

I get an E2 message when my propane tank is running low. The Sonofresco User Manual is very user friendly. Download it at http://www.sonofresco.com/index.php/faq/manuals.html to see what you're getting.
No coffee, No workee!

milowebailey

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
I'm considering picking up the 2# version. I've read this entire thread and it seems like everyone is happy with this roaster. I'm a little concerned about the E-2 errors. Has anyone figured out what that's all about? I sure would like the extra capacity and I have heard that these put out a quality roast.

I guess what I'm looking for is some people who own these to say if they had it to do all over again that they would still buy this roaster.

Thanks,
Rob the only problem with the 2 lb roaster is you will alway have to roast 2 lbs.. you can't roast 1/2 lb or even 1 lb in the 2 lb roaster.  Other than that limitation it's really not a bad roaster.  Very consistant.

Tex

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »

Thanks,

Hi Rob,
Would I buy another one - maybe/maybe not? The new price of a 2 lb machine is ~$3500. That gives you a machine that'll roast 2 lbs of beans in ~15 minutes; hands free and all beautifully consistent in color. What you won't get is any control over the roast process - just 9 preprogrammed roast programs (just 1 profile with 9 different roast levels).

My next roaster will be a drum roaster with tailorable profiles, one where I can stretch the time between 1 & 2nd crack, or anything else I can think of to improve the flavor of the roasted coffee. Call me a control freak, but honestly I can get better results from my UFO/CO.

But the Sonofresco is a snap to use - just dump in the greens and push a button. I stick around to monitor the roasts but most of the time I let the programs run their course.

It's a good roaster for lazy folks like me.

draagoth

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »
Rob the only problem with the 2 lb roaster is you will alway have to roast 2 lbs.. you can't roast 1/2 lb or even 1 lb in the 2 lb roaster.  Other than that limitation it's really not a bad roaster.  Very consistant.

First off, thank you guys for all the input. :occasion14:

This is one thing I'm on the fence about. It would require that I produce 2 bags of the same coffee every time. I have come up with a couple of ideas to deal with this. I'll probably keep a Behmor around for special requests. One of the things I wanted to be able to do was be able to produce enough coffee to offer it to some local restaurants/cafes' I think the consistency of this roaster would work to my advantage for this endeavor.

Do you guys know of any other option in the 2000-3500 price range that has the durability and output of this roaster?

Seems like the next level are the 2 kilos and they start at 7k - 8k

BTW .... What is a Milowidget.

draagoth

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
Also....How noisy is this roaster ?

I have an I-roast2 and it is like a hairdryer.

Tex

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
Also....How noisy is this roaster ?

I have an I-roast2 and it is like a hairdryer.

If you listen closely you can hear 2nd crack over the fan (sometimes). I did have one bean that had a barely perceptible 2nd crack and I almost took it into the 3rd crack! :o

I think the milowidget is an urban myth - a controller that'll let you actually roast based on time & temp, so you can profile the roast. I suspect that milo has too many irons in the fire to actually finish his projects? I've even heard rumors that he's PIDing a Gaggia home espresso machine and rebuilding a Belle Epoque 2-group. Like I said though, these are all unsubstantiated rumors.

Hey dude - confirm or deny! ;D

edited: With my model 1100 I can roast 1.4 lbs per batch, ~6 lbs per hour. How much capacity do you need?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:13:51 PM by Tex »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
My .02 ... I used someone elses 1 lb Sono in the past... I prefer the drum roast over the fluid bed... that's just my preference..

the Sono is a great way to get into local fresh roasted distribution.. your local restaurants will be hard pressed to find a better tasting cup of coffee and you can start a roast, then work on bagging the last roast while the new one runs... you can hire the neighbors kid to roast... you can roast a lot of coffee simply... but until the computer based controller that Milowbailey (and others) are working on is complete (the milowidget)  you can not effectively control the curve of the roast profile to geek the best out of a specific bean.. if I had the means I would strongly consider the Sono for my Farmers Market roasting... if I got backed up I could persuade my wife or son to roast... measure the beans... select a number... start the roast... empty the roast chamber when the machine stops...

I will build a BBQ drum roaster and fuss over every roast... and maybe with a milowidget I can get the best of both worlds...

milowebailey

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »

I think the milowidget is an urban myth - a controller that'll let you actually roast based on time & temp, so you can profile the roast. I suspect that milo has too many irons in the fire to actually finish his projects? I've even heard rumors that he's PIDing a Gaggia home espresso machine and rebuilding a Belle Epoque 2-group. Like I said though, these are all unsubstantiated rumors.

Hey dude - confirm or deny! ;D

PIDing of Gaggia is complete... waiting on my Silvia wand to finish that one up.  The Belle or Brazilia PID project will come this spring.

but venture to say that the milowidget project is alive and well!;D

draagoth

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »

With my model 1100 I can roast 1.4 lbs per batch, ~6 lbs per hour. How much capacity do you need?

Yeah, That thought has crossed my mind. Maybe the original would be enough. I'm not a big fan of the whole giant hair dryer noise thing. I'll has to mull this one over for a bit.

Thanks for the info.

Tex

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »

With my model 1100 I can roast 1.4 lbs per batch, ~6 lbs per hour. How much capacity do you need?

Yeah, That thought has crossed my mind. Maybe the original would be enough. I'm not a big fan of the whole giant hair dryer noise thing. I'll has to mull this one over for a bit.

Thanks for the info.

I'll bet that if you vented the Sonofresco to the outside it'd quieten down a lot?

Tex

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I've been alternating which roaster I use: one week I'll use the Sonofresco and the next I'll use the UFO/CO. Two weeks ago I did a batch of Ethiopian IMV & Guat COE in the Sono, a full 20 seconds into 2nd crack (I wanted a very dark Vienna for espresso/cappuccino, which I believe needs a very strong/dark roast). It was great in the cup, making some fantastic milk based drinks (no sweetener or flavorings - just a straight forward Italian cap).

This week I'm drinking the same blend, this time done with my UFO/CO. Again, I took it 20 seconds into 2nd crack, but this time I dropped the temp when 1st crack began slowing down - stretching the time between 1st & 2nd crack. The difference was pronounced - I could taste more caramel and citrus in the coffee and the mouth feel was rounder, more balanced.

It's difficult to beat the convenience of my Sonofresco - it's a load & roast machine - no nuances to the roasts that're not present in every roast. It's the ultimate in small batch production roasters where you just want a coffee the customer will like. I've sold coffee at 3 craft fairs/farmers markets and everyone has loved my coffee.

The problem is, I drink more of my coffee than I sell and I'm getting to be very persnickety about my coffee. I like playing with the roast - adding time here, reducing time there; trying to find the best taste in my cup. That's where the Sono comes up short!

yankeeNH

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
I've been using my 2 lbs Sono for 4 mos. now and it's been great. I too dream of the day where I can have profile control, but in the meantime I have been playing the time/weight game with it (shutting the gas off early and increasing or decreasing batch weight). I've been selling 40-50 12 oz. bags on the weekends at Farmers Markets with great success. The only difficult bean for me are Brasilians--they roast so fast even on a low stopping temp., but it's still workable.

Tex

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
I've been using my 2 lbs Sono for 4 mos. now and it's been great. I too dream of the day where I can have profile control, but in the meantime I have been playing the time/weight game with it (shutting the gas off early and increasing or decreasing batch weight). I've been selling 40-50 12 oz. bags on the weekends at Farmers Markets with great success. The only difficult bean for me are Brasilians--they roast so fast even on a low stopping temp., but it's still workable.

I've been thinking of freezing the faster beans, hoping to keep the internal temps lower for loner periods. I'll do that next Wed to see how that works.

draagoth

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
That's a good idea Tex. Maybe vacuum seal them first so there is no flavor/moisture exchange.

As far as getting a Sono .... I have a garage that I am planning on converting into a roastery. I thinks for
now my best move will be to finish that project and then get the roaster. Maybe in will be worth it for me to
save up a little more money and go with the drum type.

jspain

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
Well gang, "I bit the bullet!" I have been looking at new and used YM-2s, I've debated drum and air roasters and I finally decided that for the cost of a new 2# Sono that was the best way for me to go for my church mission roasting. I don't make any money and donate all my time and greens so cost and simplicity was important. I have a Behmor and my old cheap drum for smaller batches. Delivery will be as soon as I get back from Mexico.

I appreciate this thread. I've read it through several times before making my purchase. I'll be looking forward to running this new addition to my list of toys! I'll never catch up with Milo, Tex, Peter and B/J but this is one more step down that deep rabbit hole! Jim