Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 122206 times)

draagoth

Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Well gang, "I bit the bullet!" I have been looking at new and used YM-2s, I've debated drum and air roasters and I finally decided that for the cost of a new 2# Sono that was the best way for me to go for my church mission roasting. Delivery will be as soon as I get back from Mexico.

....and I'll be coming out to see that baby in action. ;D

Have fun in Mexico Jim !!!

Rob :D

Tex

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »
Well gang, "I bit the bullet!" I have been looking at new and used YM-2s, I've debated drum and air roasters and I finally decided that for the cost of a new 2# Sono that was the best way for me to go for my church mission roasting. I don't make any money and donate all my time and greens so cost and simplicity was important. I have a Behmor and my old cheap drum for smaller batches. Delivery will be as soon as I get back from Mexico.

I appreciate this thread. I've read it through several times before making my purchase. I'll be looking forward to running this new addition to my list of toys! I'll never catch up with Milo, Tex, Peter and B/J but this is one more step down that deep rabbit hole! Jim

FWIW - I think you made a wise decision. It's hard to beat the simplicity of the Sono and the coffee is superb. And it's not how deep the rabbit hole is; what matters is you've climbed in - congrats!

yorel23

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
Well gang, "I bit the bullet!" I have been looking at new and used YM-2s, I've debated drum and air roasters and I finally decided that for the cost of a new 2# Sono that was the best way for me to go for my church mission roasting. I don't make any money and donate all my time and greens so cost and simplicity was important. I have a Behmor and my old cheap drum for smaller batches. Delivery will be as soon as I get back from Mexico.

I appreciate this thread. I've read it through several times before making my purchase. I'll be looking forward to running this new addition to my list of toys! I'll never catch up with Milo, Tex, Peter and B/J but this is one more step down that deep rabbit hole! Jim

Congrats!  I've got two of the 1# models and am very pleased with them.  Simple and great results.  As has been said, the main weakness is lack of profile control.  However, something tells me that will be changing soon.   ;)

On a side note, I've been away from the site for a few days, but I did complete the project of cleaning and getting both of my Sonos running consistently again.  I have attached a couple pictures of the plate that I was referring to in previous posts.  Again, if your Sono seems to lack air flow, check and see if you have this plate (or similar) mounted to the blower housing.  One of mine had it and the other didn't.  All I can figure is they equip them differently for different altitudes maybe? :icon_scratch:   The mounting holes were there, but no plate.  The difference was amazing!  I used an old cookie sheet to fab a new one and now both are very similar in roasts.

Tex

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »

Congrats!  I've got two of the 1# models and am very pleased with them.  Simple and great results.  As has been said, the main weakness is lack of profile control.  However, something tells me that will be changing soon.   ;)

On a side note, I've been away from the site for a few days, but I did complete the project of cleaning and getting both of my Sonos running consistently again.  I have attached a couple pictures of the plate that I was referring to in previous posts.  Again, if your Sono seems to lack air flow, check and see if you have this plate (or similar) mounted to the blower housing.  One of mine had it and the other didn't.  All I can figure is they equip them differently for different altitudes maybe? :icon_scratch:   The mounting holes were there, but no plate.  The difference was amazing!  I used an old cookie sheet to fab a new one and now both are very similar in roasts.

Just curious - did you contact the manufacturer to get their take on the absence of the plate?

yorel23

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »

Just curious - did you contact the manufacturer to get their take on the absence of the plate?

Sent an email last week.  Kind of funny with them.  Sometimes they respond within hours of my emailing them, and sometimes they never do respond.  Maybe they don't get some of my emails?  I don't know.  One thing, I didn't buy either roaster from them, so they may be a little less free with the customer service.  If they don't reply by the end of the week, I will send another one.  As for now, everything seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:35:39 PM by yorel23 »

jspain

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
Sono users,

My 2#er hit the door yesterday. I set her up last night but didn't realize I needed a 5 inch to 4 inch reducer off the chaff box at the exhaust site. I picked one up this morning and roasted my first batch of Costa Rica La Margarita from last years distro by Chad. I had about three pounds of that green left. I must say I was impressed. Great roast on the first shot! I did reduce the total amount of greens to 2.4# from 2.8# as recommended in this thread. I did notice a few early toasted beans but upon completion I didn't find any difference in the roast. I'm eager to let these rest until Saturday and "the proof is in the cup!"

Two things I did notice, one; the operation was much quiter that I thought it would be and two; the "puff" when the gas ignited was louder than I thought it would be. I hooked the 20# tank direct to the roaster and I am wondering if others have a loud "puff" or may be my gas pressure is a bit to high coming out of the regulator?

All in all, very happy with the operation of my first roast. I have 12# to roast before the weekend, so it will be fun!

Thanks for your insights,  Jim

yorel23

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I am wondering if others have a loud "puff" or may be my gas pressure is a bit to high coming out of the regulator?

All in all, very happy with the operation of my first roast. I have 12# to roast before the weekend, so it will be fun!

I get the "puff" sound on both of my Sonos.  Just the sound of ignition I think.

Glad that your liking the new roaster.  They are great, simple roasters.  Now we have another member of the "Hound Larry To Finish the Sonofresco Widget" group!

jspain

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
I am wondering if others have a loud "puff" or may be my gas pressure is a bit to high coming out of the regulator?

I get the "puff" sound on both of my Sonos.  Just the sound of ignition I think.

Glad that your liking the new roaster.  They are great, simple roasters.  Now we have another member of the "Hound Larry To Finish the Sonofresco Widget" group!

I agree! Milo widget is a must! May be we'll all need to go to Washington and picket his house!

Jim

milowebailey

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »

I agree! Milo widget is a must! May be we'll all need to go to Washington and picket his house!

Jim

;D :-X ;D

yankeeNH

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
Count me in on the informational picketing  ;D

My 2 lbs-er is set up in my commercial space connected to a 60 gal. tank and a line able to add 2-3 more Sonos of the same size on the same line. And yes, that "puff" is a little unnerving at first! LOL!

Anyone else had issues with Brasilians (the coffees not the people…they're lovely)? It's the only coffee I've roasted so far that makes me long for some profile control--I'd just love to slow it down after 1st crack but they just sail to full city (+) color faster than I would like I suspect the bean density is the issue. It tastes OK, but I just have an inkling I'm losing some nuance with this one.

jspain

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
I just roasted 8# this morning but no Brazilian. Bolivian, Costa Rica, El Salvador, PNG, Kau' but no Brazilian. I do have a few pounds in inventory. Once I roast again I'll throw in a batch of Brazil and see how she does. I've taken Joe's advice and started slowly with the heat and have only roasted at 4, 5, and 6. No over roast issues yet.

So far I am VERY HAPPY with the new roaster!  Jim

Tex

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
Someone just asked me about what would have to be done to convert my Sono from sea-level use to high altitude? Is it a simple matter of removing the restrictor plate for the fan air inlet?

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Someone just asked me about what would have to be done to convert my Sono from sea-level use to high altitude? Is it a simple matter of removing the restrictor plate for the fan air inlet?

I would have them call Sonofresco, their techs are top notch and I am sure there are some details besides removing the plate.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

jspain

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 01:18:03 PM »
I agree with Joe. I've found their support excellent.

On another note. I am not a great cupper... I just know what I like and don't like. I've been reading several articles about fluid bed roasters versus drum roasters and I contemplated the issue before buying my Sono. My question is this, "Can anyone say that they can tell a difference between the Sono roasted greens and a drum roast of the same variety?"

I know when I've tried it with the Sono and the Behmor and compared I've even had a few times that I thought the Sono roast was better? I will shuffle the finished product so I can't tell one from another and check the bag after cupping. BTW, I'm now roasting at level "3" on most roasts. The "4" setting was good and I still use it for the Africans and Indos but "3" on the centrals seem to be just right.

Jim

Tex

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
I agree with Joe. I've found their support excellent.

On another note. I am not a great cupper... I just know what I like and don't like. I've been reading several articles about fluid bed roasters versus drum roasters and I contemplated the issue before buying my Sono. My question is this, "Can anyone say that they can tell a difference between the Sono roasted greens and a drum roast of the same variety?"

I know when I've tried it with the Sono and the Behmor and compared I've even had a few times that I thought the Sono roast was better? I will shuffle the finished product so I can't tell one from another and check the bag after cupping. BTW, I'm now roasting at level "3" on most roasts. The "4" setting was good and I still use it for the Africans and Indos but "3" on the centrals seem to be just right.

Jim

You're shooting for a light City roast, right Jim? I'll often use a 6 for some beans to get a FC++ for espresso - sometimes a short 7 (listening & timing 2nd crack) to get a Vienna roast.

I like the evenness of the roast - even the Yirg IMV roasted perfectly even, something I couldn't get on a UFO/CO.