Author Topic: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks  (Read 122231 times)

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
Re: Sonofresco / Q&A / Tip & Tricks
« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Dang Joe, looks like your using your screen (img5830) to cover your bacon while on the stove top.  ;) 8)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #526 on: July 09, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »
Yeah the chaff creates hot spots on all the screens eventually I have three of them. Unless you avoid the dp coffees and roast a lot of decaf. It discolors the metal screen. Scrubbing the chaff off the perimeter causes screen failure eventually as well.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline 808Chaney

• Standard User
« Reply #527 on: July 09, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
Thanks for the link

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #528 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
Did I really just get through all 36 Pages of this thread??  Wow...  Good information there..

Howdy!!

I'm Vito.  I am the new owner of a 2# ADR modded Sonofresco, In Red..

As it seems the tradition may be, this is my first post, in an existing thread.. I will do this a few more times before I start my own thread (See Joe, I can follow instructions..) 

I have three roasts under my belt and truly found that you all have helped me already.  I did the first roast and it was much darker than the temp indicated.  After sleeping on that and thinking about how I am roasting from a cart outside, I figured that the 5-4 reducer and tophat would protect the temp of the probe and it did...  I had a massive dirty chamber from the original owner who will remain nameless to protect their reputation.... but further reading and a couple quick emails to Office@ I was told to break out the utility razor.  I went from 97% caked on to about 2% etched in. 

Learning and learning but very thankful to have found you and made it to member status.  (again Thanks Joe.) 

Any of you ADR types have successful profiles that you could share?  I reset mine when I purchased because they were using the NG and I assumed the profiles would be a bit different as I'm using LP.

Today I'm going give it another deep clean, having read the advice from Joe and roast up a batch of Colombian EA Decaf.  ( anyone have any pointers for that? )

V
Learning the ways of the Bean.  I blame "Robert", he gave me that first cup.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »
nice work on the cleanup. Razors are the best solution for that. Check that plenum and chaff collector.

On Decaf my best advise is roast as if it were not a decaf and don't have extremely high expectations. If you are going err, Err on the lighter roast profile.

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
Hey Joe... is this the "fuzz" you were referring to?

I'm giving it a Cafezza Bath over night, now that I have seen it.

v

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #531 on: August 21, 2016, 01:03:24 AM »
Wow the 2lb model must have some different parts. But yeah that would be some fuzz. Nuke it with acid.

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #532 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »
Joe,
I need to send you a gift card....

You would be proud...

I need to take care and clean up the thermo after Church today...  with a vacuum and a scrubby... BUT yea...

I didn't even take a brush to the top hat..  I simply ran my fingers over it and it came up in sheets...

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »
Last set... I have deep cleaned the entire outside.    (is there anything on the inside I need to consider?)

v

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #534 on: August 22, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
3 batches today.

Rerun of my Colombian Supremo
First run of a Agaro Gayo Etheopian
First run of a Colombian EA Decaf

First thing I noticed after Deep cleaning everything..... 

No more Burnt ends.  I didn't notice any shine oil spots or beans that went super dark early.
After the first batch I shop-vac the chaff up and wiped down the roast chamber before reloading.

Repeat and go..  Very happy with the results.  Now I also made one slight change to the formula.
1270g is 2.8#.  if I'm trying NOT to waste any green I buy, I need to use 2.5 or 1133g. I know I know, they want 2.8.... But my three runs today @ 2.5 have me thinking it will work.
RL4 for the CS, RL3 for the EAG and I chickened out and RL2'd the Decaf.

My Cart setup, till I get the shed built. and the three bean salad.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
Looks clean now. I know some people like to scrape the crud off the squirrel cage fan blades. But I think that is a bit extreme. Nice even looking roasts , that spark arrestor looks like it might cause some issues, I would check taking it off and than place it on while its just starting to roast to see if it effects the airflow.

Offline Smksignals

• Standard User
« Reply #536 on: August 26, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »
that spark arrestor looks like it might cause some issues, I would check taking it off and than place it on while its just starting to roast to see if it effects the airflow.

I think that stack would mess with the sensor also. I'd let that machine breath.

BTW, nice refurbish job.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:38:25 PM by Smksignals »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Offline LightHaus

• Standard User
« Reply #537 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:45 PM »
Think this over ...  the reason for the extended stack is this.. Till I can build a Roasting shed, I'm roasting on my front porch.
What I found was without any stack the rising temp was being adjusted by the cooling breeze.  So, my whole reason for the stack is to keep the air temp as close to what it is without any cooling function by the open stack. 

I also, being a rule breaker, have oped to run this with 2.5#..  (I was not pleased with my left over bean remainders, if I were to run the 2.8#.)

So a touch less weight and a bit more down pressure and my roasts have been quite nice.  But its all experiments for me.

After cleaning and my stack, i'm pretty pleased....

:)

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2016, 03:34:20 AM »
Hi Gang!

I'm looking at a used Sonofresco 1 lb. roaster. I've skimmed this thread  :) and have learned a lot. For those who own or have owned one, would you do it again? Pros and cons?

My other option at the moment is the Kaldi Fortis. Slightly lower capacity (600g, max, but 500g recommended), but I can't find much info except on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/172345835464 )

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
too bad you aren't near San Diego, we could have some bbq and let you take the Sonofresco for a run. If you get one you wont regret it. They are very well supported machines and they make amazing coffee.