Author Topic: Handpresso Domepod - All Chances Sold 1st Unit  (Read 25060 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Handpresso Domepod - All Chances Sold 1st Unit
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
I went back in with an attempt to reduce shot volume to match the basket size....not too sure that was the right move.

I think I will experiment with grind and tamp some more....
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
I went back in with an attempt to reduce shot volume to match the basket size....not too sure that was the right move.

I think I will experiment with grind and tamp some more....

how many hours of sleep will JohnF get over the next 4 nights?!?!?!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

how many hors of sleep will JohnF get over the next 4 nights?!?!?!

1) It takes a LOT of coffee to keep me awake.

2) Handpresso shots are small.

;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
Great job John! All you guys ahead of me get ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT AND DOCUMENTED so I'll have a full week of great stuff!

Go Bucks!

milowebailey

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Now I'm getting excited and eager to compare this to the Mypressi... 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
Now I'm getting excited and eager to compare this to the Mypressi... 

I've put a ton of coffee trough this thing already and know everything I can find with my time so later today I'm sending it your way.

I'll pass along my ideas but don't trust them...experiment away but I'll pass along for the rest of the crew for consideration.

Pre-heat. I fell into pouring boiling water into the reservoir to pre-heat and dump that into the shower screen before every shot.

Double basket - I found the best way to make a "normal" drink was to pre load and tamp both baskets before starting for the quick change double. 

Quick shot - one of my favorite moves with this thing was to put .025oz milk in a 1.5oz shot glass and pull a .75oz shot over top. You can go from deciding to do it to being totally cleaned up with shot in belly in 8 min. "express coffee for you".  ;) 

I found the 1oz shots to be too thin and trended to shorter shots but maybe tamping/dosing could be played with more...it's just how it worked out for me.

Alright guys, I don't think it's going to replace the home machine anytime soon. I don't think it's going to pull really killer shots either, but it is a new toy to play with and all things considered it did more than I thought it might.  ;)

Lee Morrison

jspain

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
OK Larry, You're turn......

Couple more guys before me. Keep posting results and then I'll be able to pull a shot the first time as good as Ms Silvia....

Go Bucks

BoldJava

« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:26 AM »
Seems that Milo and Prince-Man are thinking in tandem:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/457127

B|Java

bunnysandefur

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2009, 01:46:03 AM »
Alright guys, I don't think it's going to replace the home machine anytime soon. I don't think it's going to pull really killer shots either, but it is a new toy to play with and all things considered it did more than I thought it might.  ;)

We bought our original Handpresso about this time last year... I was disappointed that just a few months later they announced this new model. Oi.

We like it for the travel novelty. Some of our relatives do not even own basic coffee machines (and they wonder why they were disowned). Biggest draw back are those blasted ESE pods, which must be purchased online. Now this.... Do I cave and just buy another one? I never dreamed that it wouldn't be proprietary, since that's the profitable trend.

*bounces around* I want!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
Do I cave and just buy another one?

I would not.  :-\

If they come out with another version with a basket twice the size of the current one maybe..

But you already have the pod version so I'd probably say hand grinder and either Aeropress or cone would be a better option than having 2 handpresso units. My advise is resist the urge to get the second one...even a travel press might be a better idea.  :angel: 

Lee Morrison

bunnysandefur

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
My advise is resist the urge to get the second one...even a travel press might be a better idea.  :angel: 

I appreciate your voice of reason.

milowebailey

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
Handpressi has landed, thanks John!

My first impression (without making any espresso yet) is it's small... don't know if that's good or bad.

The handpressi is much simpler design, fewer parts... that's a good thing.

Here are a few photos compared to a standard portafilter and the Mypressi.  I'll be playing with these over the next 4 days... or so.  Report to follow.

Mypressi is on the left, Brasilia Portafilter center and Handpressi on the right...

milowebailey

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
if any GCBC members in the Seattle area want to come over Thursday and play with these, send me a PM.. It would have to be before, say 2pm.  I have a couple lbs of Espresso I roasted for testing these guys.

BoldJava

« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:49 AM »
The handpressi is much simpler design, fewer parts... that's a good thing...

Maybe I misunderstand but I count a lot more dissembled parts with the Milopressi than I do with the Handpresso.  Maybe you mean internal parts?

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:12:39 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
The handpressi is much simpler design, fewer parts... that's a good thing...

Maybe I misunderstand but I count a lot more dissembled parts with the Milopressi than I do with the Handpresso.  Maybe you mean internal parts?

B|Java
I think that is what I said... the handpressi is much simpler, which is a good thing.  Less parts to loose, break, etc.  The Mypressi has more parts, including 4 - o-rings.  Simple is good in my book for a travel anything.