Author Topic: Handpresso Domepod - All Chances Sold 1st Unit  (Read 25154 times)

BoldJava

Re: Handpresso Domepod - All Chances Sold 1st Unit
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2009, 06:27:08 AM »
The handpressi is much simpler design, fewer parts... that's a good thing...

Maybe I misunderstand but I count a lot more dissembled parts with the Milopressi than I do with the Handpresso.  Maybe you mean internal parts?

B|Java
I think that is what I said... the handpressi is much simpler, which is a good thing.  Less parts to loose, break, etc.  The Mypressi has more parts, including 4 - o-rings.  Simple is good in my book for a travel anything.

Oh, OK, the Handpresso has fewer parts than the MyPressi.  Gotcha'.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »
Well I spent about an hour and a half with the handpresso... pulled about 12 shots with it.  I also compared it to the Mypressi and my Brasilia.  I pre-heated it each time with water from my hot-water wand on the Brasilia... easier than using a kettle and plenty of hot water at a constant temp.

I think I took a non-bias look at both the Handpresso and Mypressi

Here is the first round.

I first got the grind good for the Brasilia and pulled a shot on it.
I then prepped and pulled a shot with the Mypressi (about 3 minutes later)
I then prepped and pulled a shot the the Handpresso (about 3 minutes later)
then lined up all 3 shots and took this photo... so the Brasila shot is in the center (6 minutes old) the Mypressi in the left (3 minutes old)
and the Handpresso on the right about 10 seconds old..

As you can see Round 1 went to the Brasilia with the Mypressi a close second.  The Mypressi had good rich dark crema, and the Handpresso did have crema, but pretty blonde.

Taste-wise the Mypressi and Brasila were very close.  I think the grind was not quite right for the Mypressi and I thought that might be the case for the Handpresso.... more on that later.

I then adjusted the grind a little and pulled a shot with the Mypressi, and pulled a shot with the Handpresso at the same time.

the bottom photo is this scenario,... pretty good shot on the Mypressi.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:47:47 AM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
Round 2 I also pulled a shot with the Brasilia and this photo adds the Brasilia.  I wasn't at the machine and pressed a double shot, so it's the full one on the right

milowebailey

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
I then pulled another shot with the Mypressi adjusting the grind a little more.  The grind was a little tight as it took about 45 seconds to flow... but still a good shot.  the Mypressi seems pretty forgiving with the grind and tamp.

milowebailey

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
The Handpresso was my next and real quest... to pull a decent shot with it.

I adjusted the grind and tried different tamp methods to try and get a good shot... I went very very very fine.... it looked like the water blew around the coffee.  So I went back to where I had the Brasilia the went a step at a time finer and courser.... Pulled about 8 shots.

this photo was the best one of all.  Thick Crema, but pretty blonde.

I am now suspecting that the tamp is the key.  I wish the Handpresso came with a tamper.  I see that as a disadvantage.... I may make one for it today if I have time... a spoon produced the best tamp... so far

milowebailey

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »
So far I'd say the Mypressi wins hands down.  It's capable of pulling a shot comparable to a commercial machine.  It has a 57mm basket that will hold 19 grams of espresso.  The three disadvantages I see with the mypressi are:

1) lots of o-rings that you can loose..4 of them all different sizes.
2) run out of N20 and you can't make another shot.
3) the alignment marks for the water reservoir are difficult to see, they should have painted them white.

The advantages are:

1) Can pull a double shot with this.. no problem
2) Makes pretty good espesso
3) bottomless portafilter (by removing the spout)
4) all metal and heavy.. so it holds the heat well
5) pretty forgiving of the grind
6) comes with a tamper

The Handpresso is better than a Krups....

Advantages

1) small, simple and lightweight
2) don't need N20
3) Only takes about 25 pumps to get the pressure

Disadvantages

1) not very forgiving of grind
2) small basket
3) plastic basket (it think it would be better if it were all metal)
4) no tamper (I think making one would allow for more consistent tamp)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:02:22 AM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
Excellent comparison.  Well documented.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up and provide photos.

B|Silvia

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2009, 06:53:30 AM »
Yes, that was superb. Thanks.

yorel23

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Well, I don't even pretend to be an espresso aficionado in the league of the three guys who preceded me.  However, I thought I had better post my thoughts after a weekend with the Handpresso.  I have only been on the espresso journey for about a year now so I don't know how valuable my input will be. 

First of all, the equipment:

I thought it seemed very well built and should hold up to travel quite well.  For the most part I think it seems pretty well thought out with a few oversights that have been mentioned before:  1) It's just too small.  It doesn't seem like it would be much harder to make this into a double instead of single shot producer.  I'm guessing the sustained water pressure would be the hang up here.   2) I don't know how long the baskets will last with that thin metal screen inserted in plastic.  I second the motion for all metal baskets.

Next, the shots:

I actually only had time this weekend to put about fifteen shots through.  However, I think that overall I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be.  Granted, in my year of shot pulling, I have probably only experienced 10-15 of what I thought were really tasty shots.  I didn't get any great shots with the handpresso, but I did have more drinkable shots than sink shots.  It does seem a little picky with grind, but once dialed in, I thought it performed tolerably well.  I was using a blend that I have been using on my Carezza that I think is pretty good.  The shots on this thing weren't quite what I have been able to coax out of the Carezza.  But given a little more time and tinkering, who knows?  Overall, I thought it did quite well.  If nothing else, I am a little tempted to try out a Mypressi after Milo's review.

Here are a few pics to avoid the "What, no pics?" police ;).  Sorry, no see thru glasses or fancy espresso spoons (does a baby spoon work? :D):

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
The baby food spoon is the bomb!   

I love that thing.  ;D ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

yorel23

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
The baby food spoon is the bomb!   

I love that thing.  ;D ;D

;D 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:01:36 AM by yorel23 »

BoldJava

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »
By appearance, I think you have managed some of the best shots to date out of this.  Mr. Jim Spain, on your mark...

B|Java

jspain

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
It appears that John F has the ability to create a good looking shot! My turn next. I believe she is on the way and then to Bill!  Jim

BoldJava

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
Jim, most recent shots are Yorel's, not John F's.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
Jim, most recent shots are Yorel's, not John F's.

Yeah....and this one is looking about as good as it might get. Nice work Yorel.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison