Author Topic: Tuning a Gaggia consumer espresso machine for proper brew pressure & temperature  (Read 47334 times)

Tex

Brewing, or group, pressure is one of two espresso machine variables that needs to be managed, and requires an OPV be mounted on the machine. OPV = adjustable pressure release valve

For Gaggia's with aluminum boilers that don't have an adjustable OPV (Classic & Baby do, Espresso, Carezza, Evolution, Coffee, etc, don't) the OEM water inlet can be replaced with the Gaggia Classic OPV.

Once installed, an OPV is adjusted using a group mounted pressure gauge, often mounted on your portafilter.

Here's a great article on coffee: http://tinyurl.com/Complexity-Of-Coffee
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:09:32 PM by Tex »

milowebailey

Re: Tuning a Gaggia consumer espresso machine for proper brew pressure.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »
Ok, so I keep reading about replacing the Gaggia steam wand with a Silvia.

Before I do that explain to me why? :P  What is the difference between the Gaggia steam wand and the Silvia?

thanks

New Gaggias owner - milowebailey

Tex

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »
Ok, so I keep reading about replacing the Gaggia steam wand with a Silvia.

Before I do that explain to me why? :P  What is the difference between the Gaggia steam wand and the Silvia?

thanks

New Gaggias owner - milowebailey

How about a demo Larry?

OEM wand with PID for brew & steam.
PID'd Carezza steaming with old-style OEM wand

Silvia wand w/PID for brew & steam.
2011-09-13: Gaggia Evolution steaming

Notice the size of the bubbles in the steam? The larger the bubbles, the larger the bubbles in the micro foam.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:49:36 PM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
Hmm ... better for those frou frou drinks then?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

grover

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
I got sick of waiting for a Gaggia to turn up in our local CL market so I bought one off of ebay (from whole latte love?) From the initial post here I thought the "baby" would have the adjustable OPV but now looking at the parts diagram for the "new baby" I see it may not....Darn it! Which OPV would I replace it with? I think it has a plastic valve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400111035328&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123 

I think it would have been a decent deal if it would have only needed to be PID'd....I don't do the milk thing so I don't need the silvia steam wand.....at least for now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:42:59 PM by grover »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
I got sick of waiting for a Gaggia to turn up in our local CR market so I bought one off of ebay (from whole lotta love?) From the initial post here I thought the "baby" would have the adjustable OPV but now looking at the parts diagram for the "new baby" I see it may not....Darn it! Which OPV would I replace it with? I think it has a plastic valve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400111035328&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123  

I think it would have been a decent deal if it would have only needed to be PID'd....I don't do the milk thing so I don't need the silvia steam wand.....at least for now.

Replace this part:                             with this part:

Simple swap out of OEM parts.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:53:16 PM by Tex »

grover

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Thanks Again Tex! :)      Should I remove item 60 (the plastic 11 bar valve) or just leave that there?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:44:45 PM by grover »

Tex

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
Thanks Again Tex! :)      Should I remove item 60 (the plastic 11 bar valve) or just leave that there?

I'd leave it in place, "Ain't broke, don't fix it."

Tex

And to kick things up a notch, let's throw in temp management.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:24:10 PM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
That is incredible ... you are Mr. PID!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

grover

http://www.shop.partsguru.com/B0147-A-BK4-Gaggia-OPV-and-water-inlet-fitting-for-pump-kit-B0147-A-BK4.htm

Before I read your reply I found this......deals with the "new" baby OPVs. So I take it that these Gaggias need the pressure tuned down more often than not and leaving the 11 bar valve in is not a restriction in the line.

[img][img]

Tex

http://www.shop.partsguru.com/B0147-A-BK4-Gaggia-OPV-and-water-inlet-fitting-for-pump-kit-B0147-A-BK4.htm

Before I read your reply I found this......deals with the "new" baby OPVs. So I take it that these Gaggias need the pressure tuned down more often than not and leaving the 11 bar valve in is not a restriction in the line.

Correct!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
What's this 11 bar valve thing?

And if they could why not put in a 9 bar valve?

:icon_scratch:
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

What's this 11 bar valve thing?

And if they could why not put in a 9 bar valve?

:icon_scratch:

Something to do with Illy & their ESE pods. To get their certification requires 11 bar pressure, which is OK for most users. For picky dudes though, an adjustable OPV is required.

Tex

The cause of so many problems, the Gaggia self-priming valve (SPV) is one of Gaggia's worst ideas; right up there with the Baby Twin. Simply stated: The valve doesn't work; it leaks, robbing Gaggia's of steam and brewing pressure.

I developed a simple fix: http://tinyurl.com/Gaggia-SPV-fix