Author Topic: Tuning a Gaggia consumer espresso machine for proper brew pressure & temperature  (Read 47540 times)

milowebailey

Tex: Wow that video WITHOUT a PID shows so much more crema than my  machine ever achieved.  I would be so happy to have mine working half that well.  At best, I got a quarter of an inch of crema on my espressos.  There must be something wrong with me or mine.
I tried the links to user groups stuff and I guess i'll need to join Yahoo.  Already have 3 internet accounts and I was hoping not to have to set another up.

Nerd
Nerd

Crema is not all in the machine.   The coffee, the age, the grind, and the espresso machine settings will determine the crema.

But (There's always a butt around here, right?), brew temp does play into the color of the crema. Too low and it's blond; too high and it's more brown; just right and the crema is redder.

So you agree with me. :)

Tex

Tex: Wow that video WITHOUT a PID shows so much more crema than my  machine ever achieved.  I would be so happy to have mine working half that well.  At best, I got a quarter of an inch of crema on my espressos.  There must be something wrong with me or mine.
I tried the links to user groups stuff and I guess i'll need to join Yahoo.  Already have 3 internet accounts and I was hoping not to have to set another up.

Nerd
Nerd

Crema is not all in the machine.   The coffee, the age, the grind, and the espresso machine settings will determine the crema.

But (There's always a butt around here, right?), brew temp does play into the color of the crema. Too low and it's blond; too high and it's more brown; just right and the crema is redder.

Always! ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!

Nerd
Nerd

Always! ;D

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

Nerd
Nerd

Always Kemosabe! ;D

Tex

Here's proof that Gaggia machines can produce nice shots without modding.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0eLkKwA3QE

All that was done to this Classic was a simple adjustment of the brew pressure.

roastingnerd

It's been a couple months since I gave up on my machine.  I'll have to invest in a good cleaning with Lemishine dissolved in water and give it another try.  I've seen some posts with picture descriptions of the process for adjusting pressures here and for scrubbing the head so i'll look those up and give it a try in the next couple of weeks.  Right now I'm going to contact Peter to arrange a swap of some of my roasted beans and greens so he can tell me what he thinks.

milowebailey

I'm working on a couple Gaggia's right now (upgrading them with all the mods).

My normal supplier of the Silvia steam wands was and has been out of stock for quite a while.  I found a new supplier that has them for a few dollars less.

http://espressocare.com

So if you are looking for them....

Tex

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:21:05 PM by Tex »

PozzSka

Tex, I was reading on the Gaggia group stuff, and there are four mods typically talked about...the OPV, the SPV, the steam wand, and the PID. Correct?

I have already done the Silva steam wand, easy.
I have a Gaggia Classic, so it should have the adjustable Pressure valve correct? I just need a gauge with which to measure and calibrate for 9bar.
The SPV on my Classic doesn't have the little ball valve thing to mod...should I replace the SPV altogether and do the mod, or just leave it as is. (I have THIS ONE  Should I replace it with THIS ONE and mod it?)
The PID, I haven't started that yet, but I forsee no issues.

Tex

The Classic, Baby, and older aluminum boiler Gaggia models, do not have self-priming valves. For a gauge, check out your local Harbor Freight.

You'll also need a brass elbow, a brass hex reducer, and a roll of PTFE pipe tape.

Tex

A Gaggia Espresso:
2012-03-22: Pete's Gaggia Espresso

This is the 1st shot pulled after modding& tuning. Mods included; 1) SPV fix, and 2) Classic OPV to replace OEM water inlet. Total cost to rebuild & modify = $72. This included replacement of worn parts.

Pressure was adjusted to 10 bar static pressure:
2012-03-22: Pete's Gaggia Espresso

Temp was checked using styrofoam cup test and was within operating tolerances.

A PID would add flexibility as far as beginning temp, but would add ~$160 to the machine cost. This is a good example of an excellent shot pulled with a very inexpensive espresso machine.

PozzSka

Found a 300psi gauge and aforementioned fittings at the home depot...hope to have my regular portafilter back from my little sister tomorrow or this weekend. To test the pressure.

PID kit from Auber on the way as well!!

Tex

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:04:13 AM by Tex »

HeartsKing

Finally did the SPV fix and added adjustable OPV; also, changed out portafter ring and did some general cleaning. Will run a descale tomorrow after pipe dope finishes setting. Also, took switch that wasn't working apart and got it working again. Can't wait for tomorrow. I was not able to remove bolts that held the piece that has the SPV to budge, so just did that mod with that piece attached to boiler; do they make a ratchet type hex set?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
They make sockets that fit on your ratchet, with allen wrenches permanently mounted in those sockets, if that's what you're asking.

Something like this;

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you