Author Topic: New Water Kettle Mod To Obsolete The Hario Kettle!  (Read 3088 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
New Water Kettle Mod To Obsolete The Hario Kettle!
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
Newsflash; Hario kettle and the like are now obsolete!

With my espresso machine out of commission for repair (that's another story for another thread) I am back to pourovers, press pots, and Yamas.

Back a while, when somebody posted video of the chopstick on the spout of a standard hot water kettle I experimented with a wooden skewer and saw the potential.

Now that I'm back in that mode for a few more days I started thinking of a way to attach the skewer to get my hand out of the path of escaping steam.  As I brainstormed I went through several options, and then the light bulb went on; a cotter pin slid over the spout of the kettle.  Turns out if the cotter pin is open slightly and then the head is bent over at about a 45, you can pour directly from the kettle with all the accuracy you want and however slow a pour you desire.  It truly is the Hario Killer Kettle Mod from heaven, which is why it deserves its own thread rather than getting buried in the pourover thread.   ;)

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

Re: New Water Kettle Mod To Obsolete The Hario Kettle!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
Sorry, that's not frou-frou enough for the folks here. C'mon, tell all about your espresso machine!

Jeffo

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
Nice pictures. I don't think I have one of those. I wonder if a paper clip mod would work.

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
Newsflash... my espresso machine out of commission for repair (that's another story for another thread)...

What, Schotzie caught a cold?  I have a couple of Bialettis that I can loan you.  

B|Java  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:27:24 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
Newsflash... my espresso machine out of commission for repair (that's another story for another thread)...

What, Schotzie caught a cold?  I have a couple of Bialettis that I can loan you.  

B|Java  

I got your Bialetti right here, bucko.

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »

Why, it even pours in 23 seconds.  Let me know if you change your mind so you don't have to use your bobbie pin in your kettles.

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:21:41 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

Why, it even pours in 23 seconds.  Let me know if you change your minds.

B|Java

If it was worth using, you'd be using it.  I'll stick to the Yama my good friend gave me.

Offline jammin

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »
that's a cool trick!  Ill have to try it out; the Pino is pretty messy and could def use some help.

Thanks,
J

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
The cotter pin I used was of a fairly soft material, so it bent easily.  Just sliding it over the spout didn't work nearly as well as bending the round tip downward.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
I'll be posting a mod to your mod this evening (I suppose).

Hint: it doesn't involve weasels, bubble-wrap, or Antarctic diplomacy.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
I wonder if this could solve the worst pouring pot I have ever used: the Newco 8-cup carafe.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »
Ok, here's the mod -- using stock, inexpensive McMaster stainless steel bead chain.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=3606T19&pagenum=1389
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=3606T33&pagenum=1389

Here's what I'd suggest for installing in a narrow spout, like the Hario. Bend the end coupling as indicated above-right, so that its width slightly exceeds the ID of the spout you're installing in. Press the piece into your spout, relying on the springiness of the thing to hold it in place. Other methods come to mind.

Based on B|J's dimensions, this piece may work well with the Hario. I'll send some o' this stuff to 'im for assessment.

The mod does two things. First, it helps the user direct the water with more precision, because the "final control point" can be lowered directly into the dripper, and is independent (with infinite degrees of freedom) of the water pot's orientation. Gravity ensures a consistent, perfectly vertical water path. Second, it both reduces and renders more consistent the water's pour velocity by bridging the distance between spout and grind with a water path that slows flow by introducing turbulence and drag, giving the water a "terminal velocity" independent of chain length. For fun, I poured water down a two foot length of this chain, and noted satisfying latency with typical pourover pour rates.

It might also be considered a feature that this mod still allows for a faster pour when, during brewing, it's desirable -- something not true of the otherwise salutary "stuff the bamboo skewers into the spout" approach. Note in the last photo, though, that this technique does obstruct flow somewhat when installed as indicated in tubular spouts -- perhaps a happy median.

It works pretty well. There's an optimal length for the chain, but I don't know what it is yet. I'm sure it will vary depending on equipment used and technique preferences. If it's too long, abrupt pot motion (steady, there!) can induce mild swinging action -- though the water flow quickly dampens such motion (awesome pun). It doesn't occur if your hand's steady. I suspect the end connector/cotter pin connection provides more free-swinging potential than the chain linkages themselves, so I'll likely anchor this thing back in the spout a ways with a stainless screw, obviating the cotter pin and eliminating that swing point. It will also create a bit of an arc in the chain, better paired with pour trajectory.

I've considered installing a stainless washer at the low end of the chain (as a kind of "landing pad"), to disperse the water at lowno velocity. There's some playtime yet to have with this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:20:22 AM by rasqual »

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »
Update.

This was how I implemented a washer on the chain. Works pretty well. I'm still deciding whether I like a zero-velocity pour or a more turbulent, grind-agitating pour. The first pour is always a spoon-mix pre-wetting, but after that . . . well, there are two schools of thought in my head.    ;)

At any rate, I drilled out the rivetness of one of the chain connectors so I could separate the loops, and adapted the thing to mount the washer so that it wouldn't be tipsy-wobbly when pouring. Does the trick.

Also screw-mounted the chain a ways into the spout. Didn't have to go all the way through the plastic!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:14:39 PM by rasqual »