Author Topic: SC/TO  (Read 16669 times)

ButtWhiskers

Re: SC/TO
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
I don't use the TO - I just use the glass bowl that is the bottom half.  The top half becomes part of the roaster, the bottom half becomes the biggest borosilicate glass casserole available.

Screw The Cardiologist Macaroni and Cheese
4 - 16oz packages large elbow macaroni noodles
3-  32oz bricks Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar (black label)
1 cup shredded Peccarino Romano
4 cups 2% milk
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups crushed potato chips or bread crumbs
(Optional:  1 cup real bacon bits)

I boil 4# of large elbow macaroni noodles for about 8 minutes (al dente).   This will usually require two vessels...
While boiling I cut 5# of extra sharp black label tillamook cheddar into 3/4" cubes.  The remaining 1# gets shredded for the surface.  When the noodles are done boiling I put them into a couple of colanders and rinse them with warm water (this is heretical to most Italians and pasta aficionados).  I use the 2% milk, the shredded peccorino romano, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, and salt to make the 'gravy'.  Use this to coat the noodles in the casserole before mixing in the cheese cubes (and bacon if used).  Then cover the surface with the shredded cheese and a layer of bread crumbs or potato chips.  Bake at 360? for about 60 to 70 minutes (surface should be browned, not burned, and you will see the golden oil from the cheese boiling in the bottom of part of the bowl).  The salt curdles the milk solids into cheese-like solids - this will not work right if you use whole milk.  This dish is best if allowed to cool for 30 minutes or so prior to serving, but I can never wait that long.

Caution:  ButtWhiskers currently weighs 365# - down from 405# - and you will certainly be heading for obesity, as well, if you eat this way... 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
ButtWhiskers currently weighs 365# - down from 405# -

Props on the 40# drop brother, rock on with it!  :icon_rr:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:08:21 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »
I too have lost 40# now weight 205 and my wife wants Mac and Cheese recp. for family reunion
Wondered what I was going to do with the big glass bowl.  :icon_scratch:
UFO/TO  and SC/GG the GG gets hot quicker the sunpentown works great with my UFO that has heating element.
I have 3 SC's 2 have element disconnected.So I thank you need to leave the elements connected
unless they dont cut off while roasting one SC I had kept heating all the time bought on ebay
Bought new Sunpentown replacement top. Galloping Gourmet thrift store $15 .New UFO
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:35:17 PM by Sigr »
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
ButtWhiskers currently weighs 365# - down from 405# -

Props on the 40# drop brother, rock on with it!  :icon_rr:

Thanks John!  I just cut out potatoes, white flour, HFCS and refined sugar, and jacked up the protein to about 50% of my caloric intake.  This is something that I can live with forever, I believe.  My fasting blood sugar is down about 50 points, and I am off all of my meds, too.  (I think that they were a large part of the problem - causing a feedback loop)  Seems like the excess availability of amino acids (accompanied with lots of vitamins and lecithin) got my neurotransmitters all working the way that they should, so I am not tired/depressed/hungry all the time.  The energy has made it easier to be active, which in turn makes me less tired. 

[I can actually eat my Macaroni and Cheese, too, as long as I use Dreamfield's Low Glycemic pasta - tastes just like the 'real' thing...]

kuban111

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 05:09:16 AM »
Senor BW,

Great to hear that your health is better.

How are we able or expect to learn with out those that have learned before us?

Enjoy,
Michael

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2008, 05:48:16 AM »
Thanks John!  I just cut out potatoes, white flour, HFCS and refined sugar, and jacked up the protein to about 50% of my caloric intake.  This is something that I can live with forever, I believe.  My fasting blood sugar is down about 50 points, and I am off all of my meds, too.  (I think that they were a large part of the problem - causing a feedback loop)  Seems like the excess availability of amino acids (accompanied with lots of vitamins and lecithin) got my neurotransmitters all working the way that they should, so I am not tired/depressed/hungry all the time.  The energy has made it easier to be active, which in turn makes me less tired. 
[I can actually eat my Macaroni and Cheese, too, as long as I use Dreamfield's Low Glycemic pasta - tastes just like the 'real' thing...]

Good job BW ... don't let up ... keep going ... you will find that you will accelerate into recovery every ailment which may impede you.  It is a vicious cycle the thinner you are the more active you are ... the more active you are the more energy you get ... the more energy you get the more calories you burn ... and so on ... and so on!

As a former diabetes member I can positively tell you that diabetes CAN be beaten through diet and exercise!

Keep it up buddy!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »
Yeeeaaaahhhhh bboooyyyeeeeeeee ;D

I found the first component of my SC/TO system today at a Salvation Army thrift store. A Stir Crazy for $2.50. SCORE. Now I just need to find the convection oven. I hit 6 Goodwills/thrift stores in all. I'm gonna start modding the SC this weekend, getting it ready for the future arrival of a TO

BTW, if anyone has a TO they would like to get rid of please contact me. I would really like to have one of the Galloping Gourmet or the Sunpentown analogue models. FinerGrind is also on the hunt for me a TO unit. Thanks.

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2008, 06:32:46 PM »
headchange try http://www.sunpentown.com/paacforov.html/ for a turbo top new replacement
I think they are about $40 I bought one about a year ago
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
headchange try http://www.sunpentown.com/paacforov.html/ for a turbo top new replacement
I think they are about $40 I bought one about a year ago

I checked the site and the replacement tops are $45 plus $13 shipping, and they on offer one shipping method - "Ground". That will probably be my last resort. I have seen the GG go for around $40-50 on Ebay and you get that super cool casserole dish to boot. I'm going to hold out a little while longer and hope a better deal comes along. There are a couple of flea markets I have yet to scrounge through and I'm keeping an eye on Craig's List.

mike

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »
BW,

Thanks for the compressed air tip on cleaning, would never have thought of that.  The amount of chaff that came out was an eye opener.  Potential problem for sure. 

For those cleaning with air, remember to blow the air line out to get rid of any condensation that might be in the line, don't need no stinkin water in the TO unit.

Thanks again BW

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
I keep reading conflicting opinions of whether or not to keep the heating element of the SC hooked up. Do you SC/TO users have your SC heating element hooked up or disabled?

I wonder if the direct heat transfer from the SC to the bean would be beneficial or not as compared to the hot air put out by the TO unit. I know the SC by itself gets nowhere hot enough to roast the beans. I am kinda thinking that having the SC heating element on at the start of the roast, to help bring the temp of the beans up slowly, and then engaging the TO heat once the beans have heated up a bit.

I have been thinking about mounting a toggle switch on the SC that would allow me to turn the heating element on and off at will.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
I keep reading conflicting opinions of whether or not to keep the heating element of the SC hooked up. Do you SC/TO users have your SC heating element hooked up or disabled?

I wonder if the direct heat transfer from the SC to the bean would be beneficial or not as compared to the hot air put out by the TO unit. I know the SC by itself gets nowhere hot enough to roast the beans. I am kinda thinking that having the SC heating element on at the start of the roast, to help bring the temp of the beans up slowly, and then engaging the TO heat once the beans have heated up a bit.

I have been thinking about mounting a toggle switch on the SC that would allow me to turn the heating element on and off at will.

Here's the skinny:  If you are roasting large amounts of beans (14-20oz), you want the element connected.  If you roast smaller amounts (6-12 oz) you want it off.  The best thing to do is to install a light switch so that you can easily turn it on or off.
If you have it on, but roast small amounts of beans, you might get 'tipping', where the tips of the beans get burnt.

If you have it off, but roast large amounts of beans, you will have trouble getting the roast to completion without baking the beans.

IMO, YMMV.

EDIT:
I am kinda thinking that having the SC heating element on at the start of the roast, to help bring the temp of the beans up slowly, and then engaging the TO heat once the beans have heated up a bit.
  I haven't actually tried this, but I think the opposite would work better...

BW has roasted well over a ton of coffee by TurboCrazy
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:37:51 PM by ButtWhiskers »

kuban111

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
dito ....to what the man with the whiskers said.   ;D

I have it so that I can turn it on or off.

on in the winter. off in the summer.

Michael

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »
So are you guys mounting an on/off switch in the housing of the SC or are running the wires to an external switch, like the light switch BW suggested?

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »
So are you guys mounting an on/off switch in the housing of the SC or are running the wires to an external switch, like the light switch BW suggested?

The one that I still have that is switched for smaller batches has a standard light switch mounted sideways in the SC housing.  I cut a slit for it with a mototool, and had to bend the bracket slightly to fit the curvature.  There is plenty of empty space in there for these.

Usually I don't modify them because most of the time I roast 16-18 oz batches, but I have done several of these mods.  My first SC basically died - the housing got broken up badly enough over time to where I got sick of trying to prevent heat loss, and the others were given away to people that had more need for the switch than I did.

I wouldn't want the switch to be external, personally, because it would make things more unwieldy when it came time to dump the beans.  I am frequently doing this one handed while holding the running turbo oven so that I can immediately start the next batch going.  When I'm on a serious roasting binge, I run two TurboCrazies continuously producing 10# an hour.