Author Topic: Vacpots, Q's and A's  (Read 73518 times)

BoldJava

Vacpots, Q's and A's
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »
With the group buy occurring, thought I would get the thread started over here, in hardware rather than clog up the ordering thread.

Any Q's and A's can be here for a reference thread.

One point learned while scrumming for the order:  stovetops - make sure your pot that comes in contact with burner is thoroughly dried.  Use lower heat setting.  Think of using a wire grid spacer on the burner.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:11:34 PM by Joe »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Vacpots, Q's and A's
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:56:23 AM »
Yes you will need a wire spacer on when using the Yama pots on an electric stove top. They come with the spacer wire but I also made one from a coat hanger that works just as well. The reason being is that the bottom of the Yama pots are concave where the Bodum Santos, which doesn't need the spacer, has a flat bottom. For some reason the concave bottom can lead to cracks or breakage.

I have also heard that setting a pot on the stove that has water on the outside of the pot can lead to breakage.

waltfb

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
Thinking ahead I decided to look for a source of butane for my upcoming purchase.  The only thing I see in the stores around here are tiny cans of expensive butane for filling cigarette lighters and drug adict's torches  >:D  Searching on the internet I found that Asian food stores might have what I'm looking for but our local Asian food store blew away in a tornado a year ago  :-[ So I thought camping suppliers might have it.  Started at Wally World.  No luck, only propane.  Searched the internet again for camping stove suppliers.  Seems like propane or propane/isobutane mix is all that's available.  Some of you are using the butane burners do you use the small cans or is there a source for a reasonable supply?  Chains such as Dick's sporting goods which we have locally or Bass Pro or Cabellas which are 100 miles from here ?

Walt

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »
I bought one of the butane burners on eBay to go with my Yama that I had received as a present.  For butane, I buy a small can they sell for filling lighters at a dollar store.  They will last quite a long time.  If you preheat the water in a microwave oven before putting it in the Yama, it doesn't take too long for the butane burner to do it's thing.

kelppaddy

Stubbie

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
Cigar/Tobacco shops should have larger sized cans of butane for less than $10.

The last can I bought is called "Vector" 'Quintplus filtered 5+ times' 320ml for $5.95  Made in Korea  I use it to fill my Xikar 3-jet drug addict torch  >:D
They say the more the gas is distilled, the cleaner the burn and the less ash in your jets.

-Stubbie

jspain

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
Stubbie,
Next everyone will want you to distro the "drug addict torch!"  >:D Jim
Thanks for the advice!

Stubbie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
Stubbie,
Next everyone will want you to distro the "drug addict torch!"  >:D Jim
Thanks for the advice!

Here is the lighter I treated myself to when I got into cigars.  In a pinch, it might very well be able to send my coffee 'up north' in my Vacpot ;D

-Stubbie

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »
Ok so now for the Tim (Tool man) Taylor spin....

first you need....

for the water, then you need

to heat it  ;D

where to find big glass tube, filter and glass bucket for the grinds   :icon_scratch:

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »
Reading away to get ready for the day when Mr. Yellow-Red-Trim shows up at your house.  I am calling it, The Big Spill Day.   Per Mark Prince's suggestions:

>>>6 grams per 100 ml <39 grams per 22 oz>

as a starting point. Grind is finer than drip, but not as fine as moka pot. About 1/3 the difference (erring on the side of drip). This is with a cloth filter....>>>

Just a suggested starting point for all of you.  YMMV.  As well, the thread that discusses Prince's article is at 100 posts and growing.  I can see where all this Yama-asm will go with our group:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/articles/howtos/370176.  We need to get GaryBT3 going in this discussion.  I think he knows a thing or three about syphons.

Need more inspiration? 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JcOndpcGU[/youtube]

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:19:04 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »
Zippo has butane refills. I use this for my cigar torch and should be perfect for the Yama torch.  ;D
No coffee, No workee!

garybt3

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »
I'm not an 'expert" by any means...just a regular user of vacpots over the last 3 or so years  ;)

FWIW, if you have a smooth-top electric stove, then you do not need to use a diffuser. I have used my little 20oz 5 cup Yama without any problems at all. I also collect usable vacpots from the '30's - 50's, and use the same stove with them. Again, I have not experienced any problems.

The 1st bit of advice I'll share is to use just water in it, without any coffee grounds a couple of times. I use a cloth filter with my Yama about 60% of the time, and a Cory brand or Silex glass filter when the mood strikes me.

When you are 1st getting used to 'how' the vacpot process works, you 'should' start timing how long the process takes. Your goal is 4 minutes + or - 15 seconds, Total Extraction time.

I begin by filling my Yama lower globe to the 5 cup ( 20 oz ) line with high quality H2O, wipe the bottom dry, and place it on the stove and set it to level 8 on a 10 scale. Assemble the upper globe with the cloth filter assembly, and marry the upper globe to the lower globe. Keeping a close eye on everything, when the water starts to push North into the upper globe, I cut the heat to level 3, and slide the vacpot 1/2 on and 1/2 off of the burner. Again, I use a smooth, glass top stove, it's not going to fall or go anywhere...

What happens next is that 80% of the water is now in the upper globe, and @ 200F + or - 5F. If you remove the vacpot from the burner entirely, within 30 seconds the Southern Pull will occur, and the water will vacuum into the lower globe. The goal here is to observe that everything is working (sealed), without adding in the coffee grounds.

Cloth filters are a little more forgiving than glass filters when it comes to grind quality. A glass filter will 'bounce' if the water is too hot which means that you have too much heat, and you need to control that, otherwise, you will experience a stall and a bunch of fines in the end cup.

I use my trusty little Rocky grinder to fill up 1/2 cup (volume) of ground coffee, the grinds are approximately the size of beach sand. It won't do you any good to know my grind setting #. (it's somewhere between espresso and drip) This is the variable that you need to work out for yourself. It's the one factor that determines the 'contact' time.

A typical time for me is (once the water is up into the upper globe and the heat is cut to say level 4) to then add in the grounds and start the timer, after 2 minutes, remove from the heat source, and time the Southern pull until the vacuum is finished. ( the bubbles that occur after the coffee is vacuumed dry) if your bubbles occur at the 4 minute (total extraction time), you are good to go. If not, then you need to make an adjustment, let the mix go to 2.5 or 3 minutes, if the  southern draw is too fast. The coffee grounds and water are still in contact with each other the entire time. if the total extraction time is only 3 minutes, the result will be a weak brew, if the time goes to 5 minutes, it will be bitter.

Oh, yeah, another thing to watch out for is the roast level, a darker roast ( FC++) or Vienna roast is oily, and this will affect the time as well ( slower extraction times). The fresher the coffee, the more the coffee will bloom, add in the grounds slowly, stir them in with a spoon if your coffee has rested less than 5 days.

Once you taste the exceptional coffee that a vacpot can produce, it will all be worth it.

It took me around a month to really 'get it', and all the 'trouble' to get there is really an enjoyable experimental journey that will reward you for years to come. The guide that Mark Prince put together on Coffee Geek is worth printing, and using. And he explains things better than I do  :D

Gary

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
Cloth filters are a little more forgiving than glass filters when it comes to grind quality. A glass filter will 'bounce' if the water is too hot which means that you have too much heat, and you need to control that, otherwise, you will experience a stall and a bunch of fines in the end cup.

Good heavens, this post freaks me out. Great stuff -- but also humbling for a guy who hasn't begun to master the KMB either.    ;-)

Thanks for the data dump! Can't wait to try the thing.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
I have been using Harios with alcohol or butane burners for approximately 17 years, now.  My rule of thumb is to use a very fine grind, start with the grounds in the top, give a stir just as the last of the water is coming to the top, and leave the flame on until no grinds are floating on the top.  For that "mind-blowing mound" that some put on their cell-phone screen, I give a quick stir just as the coffee begins its trip back down. Gives great results.  BTW: In Taiwan, they usually say no more than one minute extraction, but I believe that is because they are dealing with sub-par beans.

As an asside, I called Avenue18 and asked about the halogen heater.  They said they are out because they have to convert from 100V to 120V, but I should expect the price to be around US$340.  Oomph!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
As an asside, I called Avenue18 and asked about the halogen heater.  They said they are out because they have to convert from 100V to 120V, but I should expect the price to be around US$340.  Oomph!

Is it a halogen bulb in a fancy frame that will not burn up if water drops on it ?? or is it some special halogen ??? does any body know?!?!

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »
Good heavens, this post freaks me out. Great stuff -- but also humbling for a guy who hasn't begun to master the KMB either.    ;-)

This from the guy that has the longest thread on CGeek about the AeroPress inverted double pump reverse lay up?  Rasqual, please, transfer the doubt to energy and creativity and make the Yama the pot for which the world is clamoring.

B|Java