Author Topic: Pourover Kettle Thread  (Read 28986 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Pourover Kettle Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
For sure but it's $30.

For some reason I think kettles are not viewed like other coffee gear when it comes to price/performance. I bet you can get more than $30 worth of pour out of that thing.

It won't touch the top kettles but it's under a third of the price.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ecc

« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
I'll never forget that horrible Canadian occupational safety short, no open top kettles full of boiling water getting carried around the kitchen for me.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »
Filling it up to the top would not be spiffy.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Burner0000

« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
I won't mind using it.  I only plan to transfer hot water about 2 feet.  I will be buying it to go with a pourover bar.  I think it's idea because I will constantly be refilling it so heat loss won't really be an issue.  I use plastic measuring cups at home and even without pre heating it's still burn your moth hot.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
I will constantly be refilling it so heat loss won't really be an issue.

It won't be. Until it is and then it will be.

I see the kettle progression the same as the espresso machine progression. Every body starts somewhere and stops where the feel comfortable.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2013, 03:27:03 AM »
Thoughts on the Kalita Pelican (see pic below with the Paico on left, Pelican in the center, and the Tiamo on the right).  Call them "Trip Kings," sorry John F.

I have been playing with the Kalita Pelican for a month now. 

Upside? 
1. Blends perfectly with the red accent the Czarina has created in our remodeled kitchen.  Don't disregard fashion over function (utilitarians grimace in unison at this juncture).  Lots of points.  Kettle gets displayed and contributes to the accent.
2. Great pouring tip.  Easily controlled slow stream.

Downside? 
1.  Kettle is just a hair short (1 oz maybe?) of what I like to work with.
2.  Top has no out-lip and the top falls off when you reach the end of the pouring.  Easily resolved with a set of pliers and a cloth but I am always amazed how items are designed and produced without attention to this kind of detail.  Doesn't anyone use the prototypes?
3.  Protruding neck clanks into the edge of the Chemex (again, design issue).  Remedied by lifting the kettle higher and pouring.
4.  On occasion, last 2 oz need swishing to have them line up with the inner chamber holes.  Comes in a rush.

Recommended?  No, unless fashion trumps function.  My 3-some will remain in tact as the display factor merits it.  It is nice to have multiple kettles in rotation when we are cupping so one is always ready to go for the next coffee to be evaluated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:36:28 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
A can of red spray paint for the Tiamo and the Paico will keep the Czarina happy, and then you could peddle the Pelican. 

My, my, my,
How helpful am I?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
A can of red spray paint for the Tiamo and the Paico will keep the Czarina happy, and then you could peddle the Pelican. 

My, my, my,
How helpful am I?

The caffeine is clearly helping your wit.  Drink more.

Aromajunkie

« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Coffee nut?   8)

I think a titanium oxynitride coating would look nice.

BoldJava

« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »
This deal is not as good as ECC's Takahiro score but I have never seen the 1.5L priced this low.  Prima Coffee wanted $200+ to order this from Japan.  Available on eBay, shipped free from Japan, $135.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pour-Over-Brewer-Drip-Coffee-Kettle-Takahiro-Stainless-Steel-1-5L-F-S-/331082314780?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1120

And no, I didn't buy one.  Full up on kettles.

I couldn't find ECC's post -- did it have the 1.5L?

BozemanEric

« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
If you want a Takahiro there is only one left. I picked one up. Rebekah burnt up my Hario Kettle about a month ago. 

BoldJava

« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:51 AM »
Alternative pour for standard electric kettle with chop stick.  Somehow, I think this gent is as enthusiastic about his approach as John is about his Takanohiro kettle.  Not a bad approach but awkward:

×_

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:49 AM »
I remember seeing something similar, with the chopstick held on top of the kettle and across the spout.  That was the idea that lead to my still-unsurpassed and brilliant cotter-pin mod.   8)

BoldJava

« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
...That was the idea that lead to my still-unsurpassed and brilliant cotter-pin mod.   8)

I have a great deal of respect for you but that has to be one of the most subjective opinions I have ever seen you render <w/>.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Oh yeah, I left out 'under-rated'.