Author Topic: Fan For A Bean Cooler.  (Read 4796 times)

Tex

Re: Fan For A Bean Cooler.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:45:56 PM »
If I use a 5 gallon pickle bucket to make a cooler, do you guys think it will taint my beans at all?  ???  
I wouldn't think so, but... :-X

- -Barrett

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a bucket. They don't cost much.
Curly

That's what I did - but you take all the fun out of helping a guy!

edited: And the colander came from Kohl's.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:47:47 PM by Tex »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
The pickle buckets I have gotten in the past are 6 gal... the local donut bakery has 3 gal buckets... the pickle bucket smelled really good for quit a while..

gt

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
Here's a simple one that works good for a half pound maybe more.  The white food cover was made with a flat bottom, I pushed the green one in to make it sit flat. 

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »
Aw, I was looking forward to a couple batches of pickled coffee. Guess I'll head over to Lowes.

Thanks,
- -Barrett

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Aw, I was looking forward to a couple batches of pickled coffee. Guess I'll head over to Lowes.

Thanks,
- -Barrett

LOL... would be fun to slip into a blind cupping some time

blzrfn

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »
When I used a Poppery to roast I just flipped the heater off with the switch I installed and it cooled the beans down to under 100 in about three minutes.  Now that I use a modded UFO/GG I needed to come up with a cooling solution.  I had a shop vac and I stole a large plastic flower pot from my wife's gardening supplies.  I then headed down to Goodwill and picked up a stainless colander that fit inside the pot.  I used some duct tape to cover the drain holes on the bottom of the pot and cut a hole for the shop vac hose to slide in and now am able to cool a one pound batch in about two minutes or so.  I'm loving this whole setup!

Tex

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
I prefer genetics:  :angel:

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
the first photo was my original cooler used for popper roasts I had put a small honeywell fan inside the bucket. Worked great. I think I paid 6$ for the mesh strainer and 10$ for the fan, I got the bucket from work.

Then the second and third pics are the box fan I had laying around and then I made the box to put on top out of four boards and an old window screen I was not using anymore. I got the wood from a friends scrap pile so it was all free basically.

Steve

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
looks like a winner to me

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
I abandoned the search for a fan that would fit in a bucket. I managed to scrounge a couple of scrap 2x10's at a nearby construction site. I had just enough wood to build this:

The "legs" of the bean cooler:

Add a $15 box fan:

Used some aluminum screen that I had lying around to make a cooling tray:

The result:

And I only manged to hit my hand once with the hammer:

Cost:

Wood:  Free
Screen: Already had
Fan:  $15
Epoxy: $6

Total:  $21  ;D

Trial run tonight..... ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
I abandoned the search for a fan that would fit in a bucket. I managed to scrounge a couple of scrap 2x10's at a nearby construction site. I had just enough wood to build this:

Cost:

Wood:  Free
Screen: Already had
Fan:  $15
Epoxy: $6

Total:  $21  ;D

Trial run tonight..... ;D

Sweet!

Well done.

:)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:46:06 PM by Stubbie »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Charly

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Here are some pics. The depth is 8"

That is similar to mine, except I have a little door with a latch at one bottom corner. That way I don't have to tip the box right over to empty it. The sides are about 28" and if my powerful fan is set above low I'd lose all the beans. 6 lbs cool in less than a minute on a hot day, mere seconds in mid winter. If I have visitors who I know have a sense of humor I let them get close in to watch me pour in the beans from the roaster. The chaff storm that envelopes them always makes me laugh, he he.

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
OK, game on.  RK installed and bean cooler needs finishing.  Done.

Before we get there, you have to appreciate how intimidating all this tool foolishness is.  I had flashbacks to 7th and 8th grade shop where I would rather have gone to the dentist.

My arsenal today consisted of my $29 drill and the Czarina's father's saw he brought over on the SvenandOllieflower.  My brother (carpenter/engineer) has a standard line when he visits and "we" do a project.  "Did you get this stuff in the toy department?"  Funny.  Ha.  Ha.

I used Curly's model.    I think they call them 1 x 8s -- but they measure .75" x 7.25" -- that makes sense, right?  See where I am going with all this?  I used 1.5" (yeah, they are 1.5") wood screws with liquid nails on the board.  Belt and suspenders, I suspect.  Withstand a Wisconsin tornado.

I used aluminum window screen, heavily stapled to the bottom.  I put the angled braces on the outside of the screen rather than the inside to also raise the cooling box up and off the fan.  I used 1 x 8s on two corners and 1 x 4s on the other two.  I wanted to minimize hot pockets and if the 1 x 8s do preclude cooling, I will just replace them with 1 x 4s.

Injury report?  Smacked knuckle and blister on hand.  Not bad for a rookie.

Now, let's roast.

Thanks Curly!

B|Java, C+
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:19:54 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
Reminds me of a song we sing at church, "I stand in your presence amazed..."

Very nice job B|NormAbram!  I would've helped, but this was better, since now you know you got it in you.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
Been working out profiles with burn-off beans.  2 lbs cools in a little over a minute with the CurlyII.

B|Java