Author Topic: Gaggia Blues  (Read 680 times)

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
Gaggia Blues
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
Hey All,
I'm having some Gaggia blues. I decided to use the one I got off here in December (for my mother's christmas present). After about 10 minutes of being on, it did a steam blast and that was the last of it heating up. :( The light comes on but the machine does not build up steam. (Yeah I'm a rat... I broke my mother's christmas gift).
Any suggestions? Gaggias are kinda new territory for me.
Thanks for all the help.

"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

blzrfn

Re: Gaggia Blues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »
If the steam is coming out through the grouphead you need a new check valve (not sure of Gaggia's term for this but it is easy to replace).  If its not heating up at all its time to pull the cover off and do some troubleshooting. 

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
If Tex doesn't know it is unknowable.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
If Tex doesn't know it is unknowable.

:laughing4:

The funny part about that is that it is true.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »
Had a very similar problem happen to mine. Probably blew the thermal fuse. It's an easy fix

Tex

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
Hey All,
I'm having some Gaggia blues. I decided to use the one I got off here in December (for my mother's christmas present). After about 10 minutes of being on, it did a steam blast and that was the last of it heating up. :( The light comes on but the machine does not build up steam. (Yeah I'm a rat... I broke my mother's christmas gift).
Any suggestions? Gaggias are kinda new territory for me.
Thanks for all the help.

Check the thermal fuse for continuity. If it's bad, here's where I buy mine; get several as stand bys.

There's a How-To article for replacing them on the Gaggia users group.

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:52 PM »
Had a very similar problem happen to mine. Probably blew the thermal fuse. It's an easy fix
That's kinda of what I wondered. Okay, I'll pull off the cover and do some troubleshooting... thanks everyone.
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor