Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 51357 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »
I might take you up on that. Another week should hurt too much:)

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
The straights are 19th century technology. IMHO there is a reason why we abandoned them. Unless you are in the Society for Historical Anachronism (a real group, they do the Renaissance fairs and Civil War battle re-enactments) I don't see the point in re-learning this old superseded craft and then applying it on a daily basis.

Even the modern cartridges are better than those straights unless they are scary sharp and brought to bear in good hands. That's why I passed on the straights and am sticking with the DE safety razors. But to each his own!

-Paul
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:08:43 AM by PaulM »
Catch and release - into the grease!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
I liken using a straight to riding a motorcycle.

I never thought I would do either; now I found I did both.

You're right though, to each his own.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

GC7

« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
The straights are 19th century technology. IMHO there is a reason why we abandoned them. Unless you are in the Society for Historical Anachronism (a real group, they do the Renaissance fairs and Civil War battle re-enactments) I don't see the point in re-learning this old superseded craft and then applying it on a daily basis.

Even the modern cartridges are better than those straights unless they are scary sharp and brought to bear in good hands. That's why I passed on the straights and am sticking with the DE safety razors. But to each his own!

-Paul
I could not disagree more about your take on straights. Sometimes old IS BETTER. Carts totally suck and are a marketing ripoff. DE works fine but to my face causes more irritation and nicks. The key is patience in learning to use and maintain straights. Reasons we abandoned them might be a modern rush to get everything over with and marketing of disposable blades that keep you coming back to Gillette with your money for blades. Just another opinion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:33:03 AM by GC7 »

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
I'm very glad to hear your opinion. It is making me re-think some of what I said. Thank you!

-Paul

GC7

« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »
I'm very glad to hear your opinion. It is making me re-think some of what I said. Thank you!

-Paul
Thank you for listening. There is really no right or wrong except perhaps that Gillette is greedy in a good capitalistic way (make $$$ for shareholders  :) )

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
There is really no right or wrong except perhaps that Gillette is greedy in a good capitalistic way (make $$$ for shareholders  :) )

Yes, thank you. But of course, if you are invested in any of the broad market indexes, maybe in a 401K through various funds, you are invested in Gillette, and are one of those shareholders! And I'm sure you like a nice (greedy?) return on your investments!

It's all a matter of perspective.

;)

-Paul
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:38:15 PM by PaulM »

jspain

« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2015, 05:38:01 AM »
UPDATE!

I used all four straights in my shave yesterday. I am still alive!!!! I did have two straight cuts when done and had to shave again with my Merkur to finish the job! I am sure (maybe sure) that if I committed myself to only using a straight that in time I could get it right. (?) I have a sensitive fare skin and light beard. It cuts easily. My skin that is....

I knew I wanted to try the straights. That's part of the fun of the traveling shave den. With all that said I'm not going the straight route anytime soon. I have found my happiness with double edge. I still have a long way to go in learning how to do that right! I have learned that I need to TAKE MY TIME and enjoy the process. I need to know it's OK to lather as many times as needed to get it all off! I need to be careful "IF" I go against the grain on my face. I need to be VERY CAREFUL around my chin!

My happiness has been found in the prep work. The soaking of my beard, the pre crème on my face, and the brush strokes and painting on my beard. The cleaning after and the after shave and satisfaction that comes from taking my time and enjoying the process rather than a chore!

I have sterilized and cleaned the straights and after drying them placed them back into the protective holder and PUT IT AWAY. I have put all the items into new separate plastic bags and cleaned everything up. I have sterilized and cleaned up the Gillette Super Speed and wrapped it up. I am still trying all the different blades, creams and other accessories. I have added a new box of Astra blades and I will add a new after shave once I decide what to buy myself and I'll add one of those to the box.

With all that said I am willing to ship the box on to the next VICTuM. However I will continue to use the accessories that are in the box that I have not tried until I have a new home to send it too. I believe the straights are still OK to use as is... They still cut the skin just fine! The option would be me send the box to GC7  to examine the straights and adjust as needed. I'd be glad to add the funds needed for GC7 to resend to the next person.

What do you think GC7 and/or who would like to try this out next??? You'll be glad you did. YAHOO a NEW RABBIT HOLE!  8)   

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:17 AM »
Glad to hear you survived the straights Jim.

Yeah, you got to take a lot of time to shave with the straights.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

GC7

« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
UPDATE!
My happiness has been found in the prep work. The soaking of my beard, the pre crème on my face, and the brush strokes and painting on my beard. The cleaning after and the after shave and satisfaction that comes from taking my time and enjoying the process rather than a chore!

They still cut the skin just fine! The option would be me send the box to GC7  to examine the straights and adjust as needed. I'd be glad to add the funds needed for GC7 to resend to the next person.

What do you think GC7 and/or who would like to try this out next??? You'll be glad you did. YAHOO a NEW RABBIT HOLE!  8)   
Jim- I'm glad that you have found a new way to relax and be mindful rather than rushing through a chore.

I don't need the whole box to re-hone any needy razors. Let someone try them first or perhaps check with Pyment first if this is all OK as they are his straights and I don't want to over step my bounds by putting them on my stones. If they require sharpening and someone wants to try them and its OK with Pyment then we can use a small box separate from the rest of the goodies.

jspain

« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2015, 10:32:06 AM »
I'm fairly sure they are OK. I'll just ship to the next member wanting to try the goods!

[/WHO'S NEXT????b]

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »
The single hair swipe test can be done to determine the sharpness of the razor as per the Blade and Badger website.

GC7 ... IMHO most people who get the shaving kit will skip the straights.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:20:33 AM by mp »
lp, 7-Ski

GC7

« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
The single hair swipe test can be done to determine the sharpness of the razor as per the Blade and Badger website.

GC7 ... IMHO most people who get the shaving kit will skip the straights.

MP - agreed that it takes a bit of time with a DE and getting used to sharp objects directly in contact with your face to get the urging to try a straight. If you remember your dad or grandfather using one or had a barber trim you up as a kid you might be more tempted to try. That and a Zen-like mind set helps too.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
Quote from: GC7 link=topic=12441.msg306205#msg306205 date=
That and a Zen-like mind set helps too.

Hahaha!

Yes ... for sure.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
Oh, surely someone else wants to try this? I watched this thread for years before I finally put my toe in. I can say that having had the shave den for a little while it really did change the way I shave, for the very much better. I should have tried it sooner, I would have saved a lot of money.

And I assure you I am no hipster.  Too old...  ;)

So who's next? Just post here or PM Jspain and I'm sure he will be in touch directly.

-Paul
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:54:39 AM by PaulM »