Author Topic: Custom Handmade Italian Grinder. Thoughts?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Custom Handmade Italian Grinder. Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 07:41:45 AM »
Okay, so he sent me more pictures. He communicated that the grinders are completely customizable. Two of these pictures blew my mind! I was laughing pretty hard, but they did communicate the level of customization to me. I really do dig the chrome grinder and the doserless one looks pretty good too. I think the best option so far might be the chrome grinder with the hopper from the doserless one (That hopper is pretty sweet!) I am wondering if he can eliminate the lip between the burr chamber and the chute or doser though that is very apparent in one of the pictures. One of the pictures also shows the burr threads. They look like machined brass.

Alright, so I asked if he could eliminate the flat 1-1.5 inch gap between the burr chamber and the doser or doserless chute or just make it angle downward, so when grinding small amounts grinds do not just sit there. I also asked if the stainless hopper can be chromed. I think if he can angle the area right outside the burr chamber, attach a chrome doserless chute that is a straight line from the burr chamber to the portafilter and chrome that metal hopper we might be in business. Oh, he also said that the doserless one down there can be programmed by bean weight or time to grind on demand. The translation here was a little gray, so I am reconfirming.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts. I am just going to keep asking him for more pictures!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:41:09 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
Here is the picture of the brass burr threads. I also did a basic cut and paste to get an idea of what the chrome grinder would look like with the stainless hopper. Do you think it would look better with the metal on the hopper chromed too?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:49:17 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
I actually like the doserless one a whole lot better.   That doser is a HUGE filth collector.   All the grounds getting into ever corner is going to be a bugger to clean out and keep the windows clean and not built up.

Then again the doser does take some of the static out of it.  Maybe you could do one with a vandegraff generator on it or a mini tesla coil at the outlet to suck the fines and chaff out heh.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
Just a thought ... any way the body and dozer could have some curves to it?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
Just a thought ... any way the body and dozer could have some curves to it?

???

No. You need a dye and press to do that or you have to shape that metal yourself. For reference, you know the $80,000 plus dollar custom motorcycles? Those have hand shaped metal gas tanks that take several days to make. If this guy shaped metal like that his grinders would be outrageously expensive. It takes him several days to make one as is.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
I like the look of the Chromecustomhopper.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »

I think the chrome grinder with a chrome hopper and chrome doserless chute might be the best option at this point. I do like the doser on the chrome machine above better than the doser on the one in the original picture though.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
It seems kind of odd to have a square dozer vs a round one. Functionally, the sweepers can't reach the corners and would leave a bit accumulation on a ridge somewhere.

Too bad he can just have a tube as the base sort of like the CDT Technivorm. I like the way it looks.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
It seems kind of odd to have a square dozer vs a round one. Functionally, the sweepers can't reach the corners and would leave a bit accumulation on a ridge somewhere.

Too bad he can just have a tube as the base sort of like the CDT Technivorm. I like the way it looks.

The actual area where the grinds fall is a circle, and the corners of the actual plastic part are rounded on the inside and they funnel downward. I did not notice it at first either. Here is a larger picture of just the doser to show this. You would have to fill the doser over 50% of the way up with coffee before you had to contend with the corners. Also, plastic holds static. I find coffee sticking to the round doser in my Wega 6.8 all the time. It does not sweet coffee off.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:56:48 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

I think the chrome grinder with a chrome hopper and chrome doserless chute might be the best option at this point. I do like the doser on the chrome machine above better than the doser on the one in the original picture though.

+1

Black and Chrome ... has that stand out and look at me appeal.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
If the grinder is @1,200, that's a pretty good price for the doser version and a little higher for the doserless. A cafe package with a 3-group and a grinder would be a great alternative to the fancy electronic machines. Much easier to manage the work flow; and simplifies the whole process.

Not to mention the WOW factor! Flying Levers!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
The shop I want after getting out of school / settled will have a 3 group electronic machine, likely a Synesso for primary drinks / house espresso, if they keep making such high quality equipment and stay competitive tech wise, and a 2 or 3 group Bosco for SO and guest espresso shots. Hmmm . . . . I wonder if I can get distro rights for Synesso. . . . They sure do stick to the high quality handmade theme!