Author Topic: Possible makings of a roaster?  (Read 801 times)

Tex

Possible makings of a roaster?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
I'm on the lookout for one of these (cheap is main goal), with the intent of trying it as a roaster. At a rated 12 amps it should have plenty of juice and it has a built-in stirrer and chaff collector.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Possible makings of a roaster?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
Looks like costco is the cheapest :( I am not sure what the return possibility is for online orders but it might be worth trying.

Think it would have a 2lb roast?

Tex

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
I might get it from Costco, since their return policy is so liberal. But I'm sure I'd need to modify it to the point where eventually even Costco wouldn't take it back.

Given its heat capacity of 1450 watts/12 amps, it looks like bean capacity would be the limiting factor. And I'd have to see the rotating arm in action to know whether it'd stir the beans well; or whether a new arm would need to be fabricated.

I've got two espresso machines to finish first, then I'll order one of these to play around with.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
I saw that at Costco, and the first thing I thought was coffee-roasting.  But that was a few months ago, and I can't remember why I wasn't all that enthusiastic about.  The price new was pretty high, but it looked like it had some other failings, I just can't remember what they were, probably the capacity looked like it'd be hard-pressed to even do a lb.  And it didn't look like it offered any advantage to the SC/TO.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
I saw that at Costco, and the first thing I thought was coffee-roasting.  But that was a few months ago, and I can't remember why I wasn't all that enthusiastic about.  The price new was pretty high, but it looked like it had some other failings, I just can't remember what they were, probably the capacity looked like it'd be hard-pressed to even do a lb.  And it didn't look like it offered any advantage to the SC/TO.

It does have a built in filtration system, which may or may not have enough capacity. What'd be super useful is if the exhaust heat is recirculated? But bean stirring capacity is the one thing I'll be looking at - anything greater than 1 lb, maybe up to 2lbs would be fantastic!

We'll see?

blzrfn

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
Reading the reviews doesn't hold much promise, but it might be worth a quick try and then decide whether to modify or return. 

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
I've had some lamb chops and steak cooked in one that turned out decent. Not
as good as a bbq but it's convenient for those who don't want to actually cook
or it's too cold to go outside...

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
I wonder how tweakable that 338 is...

That thing looks like a great way to make boring, bland food.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
I wonder how tweakable that 338 is...

That thing looks like a great way to make boring, bland food.

Everything is tweakable; and as far as bypassing the thermostats, it should be a simple mod. The real problem will be keeping the internal pieces from melting at 450°F. That and the rotation speed of the spindle will determine how it'll work as a coffee roaster.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
The T in Tex is for Trailblazer.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
The initial price is high, but I'm putting my hopes in the mods being a simple matter of bypassing the tstats. If that's all there is to it, then the price becomes easier to swallow since it's an all-in-one unit, with nothing else to assemble.

We'll see after I get it done - probably this fall.

edited: The first thing to do will be to determine the amp draw of the heater and baseline the maximum heat capacity.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:54:23 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
If you put a hinge between your UFO and TO, it'll be an all-in-one unit too.  <angel>
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

smico

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
After failure to obtain permit to install Diedrich 3 kg in my garage, I am warming up to idea of many smaller roasters. Peter's setup looks nice, so I am looking forward to see if this thread will yield useful yet easier to build roaster.