Author Topic: Ratio Brewer by Clive  (Read 2000 times)

BoldJava

Ratio Brewer by Clive
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »
Just a gorgeous piece of work, $400 introductory.  Then, Jan 1, $480.  Too rich for my blood.  Lots of pourovers within me to match that price. 

In the article below, they talk about SCAA's 195-205* suggested water temp.  They are going with 198-202.*

http://sprudge.com/ratio-brewer.html

jano

Re: Ratio Brewer by Clive
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
I preordered this unit when it was announced since I was in the mood to over-splurge back then and I like fancy schmany snooty designs.

Arrived yesterday.  It's more substantial in size than I expected, very well constructed, and I appreciate at nearly every turn that a lot of thought that went into its design.  The closest thing I have to an automatic brewer and used on a regular basis is the Cafetino Balance Brewer, so there were a few thoughts here:
 1. noisy
 2. after loading water and coffee, push button and wait (new concept to me...!)

Most surprising thing: the first brew tasted like... kone filtered chemex! :D  I went with 30g coffee and 500g water.  I'm not quite sure how one can brew 60g coffee in this without it overflowing from the filter?  That'll be a fun challenge.

Second most surprising thing, the noise.  I'm really surprised they didn't use a SSR, the click/clack of the heating element relay is loud.  Only thing I can think of why is maybe SSRs are more prone to failure and they are offering this 10 year warranty?  Maybe I'll get adventurous someday and swap it out heeheehee  8).  Not having used an automatic brewer extensively before (except the brazen roadshow), the sputtering of the water/steam will probably take some getting used to.  But then, my kitchen does amplify sound a bit.

Sure is pretty!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
In short order, that noise will become music to your ears.

Thanks for being the early adopter, and for the review!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jspain

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
It is attractive!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
It looks like a luxed out T-Vorm...
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jano

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »
This whole idea of "grind coffee, add water, push button" is really novel to me and I'm enjoying how it has disrupted my morning flow hah!  Coffee done twice as fast, since I don't have the brew after heating the water.  The unit is consistent.

Only two other negatives right now, besides the noise: 1. The volume-based half/full symbols on the glass jug don't match up with the reservoir's symbols; 2. a little messy, there are water spots on the counter in front of the machine from splashing, but these are easily wiped up (steam also wets the top piece which is easily wiped after the brew is done).

After a few days of use, I'm very happy with it, especially since it does NOT smell like a coffee machine.  One of the biggest "don't want it" factors for me about the brazen when I participated in the roadshow a couple years back, as well as pretty much any other coffee machine, they all smell like old coffee.  Gross.  This one doesn't :)

It was intended to go to my office to make an early afternoon cup on occasion, but I'm just going to keep it at home and stick to tea at work.  I don't like the coffee caffeine jolt in the afternoon, tea is more gentle to my system.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
$580 now!

Good grief. For less than $2000 more, I could get an EK43.

;-)