Author Topic: Bunn Velocity coffee brewer?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline loginhater

• Standard User
Bunn Velocity coffee brewer?
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
My Newco OS-8 finally gave out and for a variety of reasons, we ended up with one of the Bunn Velocity brewers.

Its has a boiler that supposedly keeps the water right around 200 degrees.  And because the water is always hot, it brews 10 cups in about 3 minutes.

All good, right?  Thing is, the coffee seems to taste different.  My wife says our coffee doesn't seem to have the acidity levels that it used to have.  Others say the coffee taste smoother.  And this is with C+ and FC roasts.  I grind the coffee very coarse because the grounds in the basket mushroom very high when the hot water hits.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks in advance.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: Bunn Velocity coffee brewer?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
You might try pre-wetting the grinds so that they don't bloom as much so that you could use a finer grind, which may improved the flavor.

^That.

Bunns are fast, and bloom in autos is just rough.

Or you could let your coffee stale for a month before using it.    ;D

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
I have the Bunn 10 cup BTX and I had the same issue until I changed the spray head, made all the difference. Bunn offers them free on there web site, my grinder is a Baratza Virtuoso, and I set it at 10 on grind setting. With the new spray head and the finer grind it seems to slow the process down for better extraction, much better coffee. Bunn told me if you have a water softener you must swap out the spray head to get the best from high end specialty coffee.

Rich

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
Never thought of lifting the lid, makes sence to me pre soaking the grounds i will try it on me next pot, maybe roll back the grind setting to around 15. I no for sure you need to grind a little finer then standard drip grind because of high flow rate on the Bunn. Thanks Yak

Aromajunkie

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
I find that a quick stir after wetting the grounds makes for a much more consistent and efficient brew on the Bunn. I just pull out the basket an inch or so and reach in with a long (iced tea) spoon to give it a swirl. This tends to knock down the bloom as well.

Offline loginhater

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip everyone.  Went with a finer grind this morning, wetted the grounds, and lifted the lid a few times and ended up with a nice cup.  Will order the alternate spray head and swap it out.