Author Topic: Behmor Cuts Off Too Soon  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
Re: Behmor Cuts Off Too Soon
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »
If any of us performed this repair dozens of times each week I'm sure we'd all be very good at it. I'm comfortable using gadgets and technology, just not repairing it. I was never a home repair kind of guy.

You just have to think about it logically, what do you have now? A broken Behmor. What happens if you screw up? You have a broken Behmor. So what do you have to lose?

Burner0000

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »
Your poor Behmor has been broken for too long.. You must be going through roasting withdrawal. Replacement of the board is just removal of I think 4 screws and two plugs. I'd offer to fix it for you if you ship everything to me but I live to far away.  If you take your time and take pictures along the way there's no way you will screw it up. I've read about others accidentally switching the plugs which didn't do any harm to the roaster. It just wouldn't roast properly.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »
I'm down to probably 1-2 days of my own roasted coffee. Then I'd have to rely on ... Starbucks.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 06:25:42 AM »
... Usually, the only difference was that it took my three times as long to complete the job as what a pro would've required.

I used to use that motto until a plumbing project got way, way out of control.  I retired my Dan Aykroyd plumber's crack with that project.  No more plumbing.

I will take on smaller stuff.  About to tackle Gene Cafe, unit 2, and its control board.  Somebody mentioned pictures.  I take lots of them.

B|Call'Em
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:28:03 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
I'm down to probably 1-2 days of my own roasted coffee. Then I'd have to rely on ... Starbucks.

Ouch, I got wise and placed an order from Peter's site, The Excellent Cup, until I have a chance to replace my board and get up and roasting again.  I believe the coffee is already on it's way to me now.

Thanks for the plug...  you should have it tomorrow...  I love it when your Behmor breaks down, or like last summer when it was too durned hot out west for you guys to roast.   ;D

But I don't think I can roast dark enough for MWG. :-[
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Ray T

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »

Ouch, I got wise and placed an order from Peter's site, The Excellent Cup, until I have a chance to replace my board and get up and roasting again.  I believe the coffee is already on it's way to me now.

Thanks for the plug...  you should have it tomorrow...  I love it when your Behmor breaks down, or like last summer when it was too durned hot out west for you guys to roast.   ;D

But I don't think I can roast dark enough for MWG. :-[

;D

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
With the amazing and able help of my darling wife, we're just about done installing the new board. But in the process, one of the two soldered wires that go into a round component about 1 1/2 inches round got broken off. What is the best way to reattach the red wire to the connector?

As for roasting up beans, I still have my Poppery.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:32:33 PM by Mass. Wine Guy »

ecc

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
Post your photo, I will use my magical distributor powers to size it.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:33 AM »
Will do. Thank you. It looks like it would take about two seconds to solder.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 06:47:53 AM »
Easiest soldering job on the world, man.

It'll probably take you longer to find someone you know with a soldering iron ::)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:47 AM »
Use a good quality 60-40 rosin core solder, find some solder wick and clean the solder point. Be careful not to over heat, you might run the risk of opening up the connection inside the motor were the motor winding hooks up to the solder post, use just enough solder were you see it flow and stop, novice folkes have a tendacy to gob to much solder on, not a good idea

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Can anyone please recommend a decent, 25W or so soldering pen with a nice thin tip?

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
Uh oh. I did what looked to me like a decent enough solder on that wire, screwed the side panel together and plugged it in. As soon as I put the plug into the outlet one of the prongs sparked and looks slightly black. And my Behmor has no power at all. I've had it and reluctantly think it's time to send it in for repair.

At least I can roast on my Poppery. It makes fine roasts, too. You just can't roast a lot at one time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:10:44 PM by Mass. Wine Guy »

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
I'm certain that I did something wrong with the rewiring. Never again.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm certain that I did something wrong with the rewiring. Never again.

Get an Ambex - there ain't no stinkin' control board in 'em.   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you