Author Topic: Ratio Eight - Ain't She a Beaut!  (Read 1048 times)

Offline reepeter

• Standard User
  • Mijn koffie is maar onvoorstelbaar lekker!!
Ratio Eight - Ain't She a Beaut!
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
http://ratiocoffee.com/

Pour-over meets precise technology...giggity giggity
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

BozemanEric

Re: Ratio Eight - Ain't She a Beaut!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »
Yes she is. And, I think you should definitely buy one and let us know how the cup is. Someone needs to.

Offline reepeter

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
That plan, sir, is already in the works.

( What's that, honey, you say you want some ideas for my birthday present? Here, check out this link!)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
Let me find my checkbook........
LMWDP #440

Offline reepeter

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
Called Ratio's 800 number and left a voicemail regarding pricing.  I saw a price of $395 in an email from the company, but then a price of $480 on their website.  Call was returned by owner Mark Hellweg.  He left me a message saying he would honor the lower price (December 2013 pricing) and asked me to email him to receive the discount code to use when reserving one o' them bad boys.  Think I'll be reserving a unit tomorrow.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
looking forward to a full report!

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Certainly it's beautiful, but I have a load of 'countertop art' that didn't make the cut.  So my issues ...

A) 1400W and enough power for produce 200F water is a great start - but is there any active control to ensure the water is really ~200F from start to end ?  Most of the 'worm-heater' designs fail at this point.  The temp is determined by the physics of the piping and not controllable.

B) Is there any system CONTROL to the bloom/brew indicator, or is it just telling you that your in the int 30 seconds of the cycle ?   I'm wagering there is no control there.  It would make sense if the device dumped in the first ~10% of water for bloom,  and waited a bit then 'brewed' - I see no indication that it does anything different for a 16oz vs 40oz batch - heat it up/dump it in as fast as the heater produces hot water.  Sorry - I'm way past being impressed by pretty but meaningless idiot lights..

C) I think the 40oz glass pot is beautiful, but a bit small.   I'd like to see 1.5+ liter capacity, but can accept this limitation.  The main issue is that I'm still working for a living so I need to make a pot, and then consume that pot over ~3-4 hours.  A thermal carafe is a REQUIREMENT.

Functionally this is a minor spin on the Mr.Coffee design, as are most drip coffee makers,  a worm-heater, a cone holder, and a pot.  It's a pretty one, but I personally think the entire design concept requires more control.  Bunn's heated-tank designs make a lot more sense in terms of temp control IMO.
--

I'm (once again) actively looking for a coffee maker, and also a drip-coffee grinder, but I don't see the advantage aside from the eye-candy effect.

The Technivorm is the same capacity, good reputation, has a thermal carafe, costs a lot  less, but looks clunky like a Kynex project.

Ratio hasn't been produced yet, pricey, unproven, has no thermal carafe, zero reputation but looks sweet.

Secondary issues: The Ratio +20% price change indicates that this guy is still getting a reality-check in costs & profit margins and may never get into production (he a kickstarter candidate, not a biz yet).  20% is a substantial error.   The 'my grandparents' stories & "designed & built in Portland" on the one-page website is weak and acidic IMO - tell us who YOU are, not some ancestor or location worship.

Absolutely best wishes, to Mr.Hellweg and the Ratio, but I'm not his $480 guinea pig.  I'll wait for someone else to tell me what I've got wrong.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain