Author Topic: hand jive  (Read 1093 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
hand jive
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
So, I've started using my lido to grind for espresso.  My coffee seems to tastes better to me with a slow hand grind.   I dunno, maybe it's all psychological. 

So, who'd like to tell me about their Pharos?  I understand that monster is meant for espresso.  I've been reading the volumes of posts about it and the VooDoo mods. 

Or, who can tell me about their HG-one? 

Seeking input from hand grinder users.
LMWDP #440

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: hand jive
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
I should be able to report back soon. I will have a showdown between my new Ceado E92 and my Voddoo Pharos.

The Ceado is a slow grinder though at 250rpm.

SJM

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:06:47 PM »
My Pharos has been out of service because the SAMA has been out of service, but as soon as (whenever) I get up my nerve to finish the SAMA, the Pharos will go back to daily duty.  I think they y are a great pairing.  Mine is fully VooDoo modded, including the longer handle and also a specially built docking station to anchor it to the countertop.  I probably would have gotten tired of it without the mods;  or rather I did get tired of knocking the grinds out of it the bottom and re-weighing until I knew they were all out.  The VDD catch bin is a huge improvement.

There's something just right about pairing the Pharos and the SAMA....hand grinder and lever....perfect.

JW

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »
First things first, I am not a daily espresso drinker. In fact, usually if I am pulling shots, I am making americanos.

Jano lent me his Pharos many months ago and he bought an HG one. I still have the Pharos as he keeps telling me it'll sit on a shelf anyway. It is a full voodoo daddy modded one. It was my first experience using something with titan burrs. The grind is superior, the ergonomics are horrendous. I find it pretty tough to grind city roasted beans, although this would probably be different if it was mounted in some way.

I think I have noticed more flavor separation in my shots compared to my preciso, but it may all be in my head. I haven't pulled a gusher since I started using it though, and it really requires almost no adjustment going to from bean to bean.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
There's something just right about pairing the Pharos and the SAMA....hand grinder and lever....perfect.

Yea, that thought crossed my mind.

I should be able to report back soon. I will have a showdown between my new Ceado E92 and my Voddoo Pharos.

The Ceado is a slow grinder though at 250rpm.

Hmmmm....will be interested in following your smack-down.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:51:36 PM by sosha »
LMWDP #440

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »
I think patience is required for the next month when the Lido2 should be out there grinding coffee and making reviews. It might be another contender! Only time will tell.I'm personally going to be watching that one.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »
My handgrinding consists of use of the Hario mill when I travel, which is quite infrequent anymore. 

Used an un-modded Pharos and you couldn't give me one.  The ergonomics are terrible; the adjustment was whacky.  The LIDO I enjoyed and am looking forward to the LIDO 2.

B|Java

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
I like the Lido also; too bad it's too bulky for me for travel.  Luggage is weighed everywhere, and a 1kg grinder just don't cut it.
LMWDP #440