Author Topic: PID'd kettles  (Read 3400 times)

SJM

Re: PID'd kettles
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
You are over-complicating the process, in my estimation.  The times when I have to preheat a press pot, I'll pour hot water into the press pot, grind the beans and while they are grinding, pour the water back into the kettle, add the ground coffee to the press pot and by then the water is back up to temp for the pour.  One kettle, badda-bing badda-bang.

I don't buy the theory about not reheating water because that depletes the oxygen in the water - hooey.

Well, I keep thinking that the double-wall that keeps the brew warm for a while after it is done also keeps the whole lining of the FP from getting warm enough to hold that heat.  So....I fill it with hot water until the outside feels warm....

And my not re-heating the water had nothing to do with depleting oxygen.  It's that the water that had been warming the pot smelled of coffee and I didn't want that smelly water back in the kettle....

Susan

pShoe

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
I know, I know, I know, we chewed this topic to death a year or so ago, but....that was when they first erupted on the scene.
Now that you have had yours for a while.....do you like it?  Would you buy it again?  Would you but another brand?  Would you go back to an un-PID'd kettle????

My frugal nature makes me ask why you or anyone would want a PID'd kettle?  What brew methods need such specific temps that guessing with a non-PID'd kettle would produce inferior results, bearing in mind that whatever temp you think you have in the kettle changes as soon as you pour?

Frugal does not necessarily mean cheapest. I got a pretty good deal on mine. I think there might have been a ~$15 difference. It was a $15 well spent, from the opinion of this frugalist (I cut my sponges in 3 ;D). 

SJM

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
(I cut my sponges in 3 ;D).

Three????   Wow.  I cut mine in half;  they fit so much better in my hand that way;  but three?  Gotta see how that feels;  I think it's too little;  half is perfect.

Susan 8)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
I know, I know, I know, we chewed this topic to death a year or so ago, but....that was when they first erupted on the scene.
Now that you have had yours for a while.....do you like it?  Would you buy it again?  Would you but another brand?  Would you go back to an un-PID'd kettle????

My frugal nature makes me ask why you or anyone would want a PID'd kettle?  What brew methods need such specific temps that guessing with a non-PID'd kettle would produce inferior results, bearing in mind that whatever temp you think you have in the kettle changes as soon as you pour?

Frugal does not necessarily mean cheapest. I got a pretty good deal on mine. I think there might have been a ~$15 difference. It was a $15 well spent, from the opinion of this frugalist (I cut my sponges in 3 ;D).

That doesn't answer the question as to why...   Jason stated his reasoning.  In my routine, the water only takes as long to heat up as it does to grind and set up my cup and Kone, so there's no reason to start the water and go do something else.  I would go so far as saying that if Jason's water is being held at 200* the temps lost to heating the grounds and the filter, etc. will have the water temp too low, especially if it's a method that requires steeping.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
I have a pino kettle with temp control that I need to offload..

SJM

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
Why I want one?  Well the opinions run so evenly for and against their usefulness that I just want to find out for myself.  Translation:  I'm curious.... ::)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Being the helpful little helper that I am, I see Massdrop has the Variable Temp Bonavita going for $74.99; you'd have to register as a Massdrop user, but that's not a bad price.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/l5bcnpb

Thanks to yakster for turning me on to Massdrop a while back.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
Being the helpful little helper that I am, I see Massdrop has the Variable Temp Bonavita going for $74.99; you'd have to register as a Massdrop user, but that's not a bad price.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/l5bcnpb

Thanks to yakster for turning me on to Massdrop a while back.

That's not the gooseneck version.  You can't tell us you're getting the non-gooseneck version; you'll get yourself banned.

It's only $79 at Amazon with free shipping anyway....I'll stick with them. 

Susan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:05:37 PM by peter »

SJM

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
The Bonavita Variable Temp Kettle????
F A B U L O U S ! ! ! !

Set it to 205.....get sidetracked....come back....whoopee it's still 205....
pour when I want not when the temp is right....well...it stays right....

I luvs it...
Eat your heart out if you thought you were gonna get it cheap....:-))))

Susan

ecc

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
The Bonavita Variable Temp Kettle????
F A B U L O U S ! ! ! !

Set it to 205.....get sidetracked....come back....whoopee it's still 205....
pour when I want not when the temp is right....well...it stays right....

I luvs it...
Eat your heart out if you thought you were gonna get it cheap....:-))))

Susan

One less variable, and quite a bit of convenience. I switched to a Bunn thermostat after I went through a few Pinot's. It took quite a few years of everyday use, and one combination of kettle and base still works. (although the lever is busted off the kettle) 

I will eventually PID the beast Bunn, mainly so that I can adjust the boiler temp and to save a little electricity and noise from the full element on overshoot.

I think Tex would approve of this thread.