Vendor Discussion Boards > Commercial Hardware discussion

Mill City Roasters- Bad experience, NEED Help Please

(1/24) > >>

Kind_Karma:
     I am in a weird situation- I feel like I just got ripped off, so I wanted to see if any of you have any advice/help. I bought a 1 kilo roaster from Mill City Roasters. I mostly worked with Dave a.k.a. BoldJava(who really sealed the deal for me to go with Mill City Roasters) and placed an order w/ 1 kilo roaster and 200 lbs. of greens with him. So I picked up the roaster on Friday & opened the crate this morning. They sent me the wrong roaster (same size but different color than I ordered) and the wrong transformer(they sent me one that has a permanent non-removable Chinese plug). So I emailed Dave & Steve Green(owner of Mill City Roasters). Dave is on vacation, but Steve replied. Steve's response was that I should open up the transformer and cut the Chinese plug off of the cord and take the wires and splice it to a U.S. plug(voiding the warranty?). I responded by telling him that I was not comfortable doing electrical modifications to the transformer. I also told him that I was frustrated and asked him if they could take the roaster back since it was inoperable and the wrong roaster. Steve told me that I would have to pay for the shipping($500) and then they would decide on how much they would give me after inspecting the condition. I asked him if he could just send me the correct transformer so that I could at least just use the roaster. No response yet, but still got a bad feeling about my experience with Mill City Roasters so far.

Couple of questions:
-Does this sound weird to anybody else?
-Is this common for an experience with Mill City Roasters?
-Any advice on how to proceed? I have a brand-new $4,500 nonworking roaster sitting in my workshop or I send it back and possibly lose $1,000 for something that is not my fault and for no reason?

Thanks & Peace.

Ascholten:
Maybe wait for the other guy to come back from vacation?  That does sound kind of not cool especially when it is their mistake.

They should pay for the postage really since it was their screw up and NOT what you ordered.   Telling you they have to inspect first is common with most companies.  They need to make sure they got everything back that they shipped you and it isn't all banged up and damaged.  If you do end up shipping back make SURE you take very good pictures of what you sent back to them in case there are issues once they get it back.

The common sense thing would be to send you the transformer, along with an apology for the wrong color and maybe a gift cert or something on a future purchase from them.  It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.  Sorry for your hastles, stuff like this is never fun.

Aaron

GC7:
I would be as patient as possible and see if calm reasoning and documentation of what you received and what you actually ordered results in you getting the roaster you wanted and expected.

I don't know Steve but if Dave works with/for him I'm sure it will work out. I've never communicated with or interacted with a more reasonable and honorable fellow in the coffee community than Dave. I can't believe they won't make this a good transaction.

John F:

--- Quote from: GC7 on November 07, 2015, 05:47:08 PM ---
I don't know Steve but if Dave works with/for him I'm sure it will work out. I've never communicated with or interacted with a more reasonable and honorable fellow in the coffee community than Dave. I can't believe they won't make this a good transaction.

--- End quote ---

There ya go.

Talk to Dave, he is "the most honerable fellow in the coffee community" this pretty much guarantees you got nothing to worry about. 

hankua:
Your kidding right?

It's got the right wire with the wrong plug? They do make adaptor's; I've got a few around the house that are multi-national. Otherwise cut the plug off and put a replacement on.

It's really inefficient to be mailing a heavy transformer back and forth, not to mention its a commercial machine not a home appliance. What are you going to do if it needs a minor adjustment? That's your job as well; although they are going to give you telephone suports and parts if necessary.

Maybe Steve can email you exactly how the wires hook up. That's the most reasonable solution to the plug problem.

If it's the wrong transformer voltage that's a different situation. North 1K roasters are all 220V, and that's disclosed in their sales data. Color is a mix-up at the factory or Mill City; if that's a big deal maybe they can cut you a deal on something.

Once you start roasting and get the wrinkles ironed out; your probably going to be a happy camper.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version