Author Topic: I just intentionally ordered an $80 espresso machine.  (Read 6375 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
I just intentionally ordered an $80 espresso machine.
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
Over the years I have exhausted several coffee roads I was traveling on.

The example that brought me to do this is 2 such roads. Moka pots and espresso shots. Some might be thinking it's crazy talk something like giving up espresso but some of the more obsessive types of us have probably been there before where thousands upon thousands of hours and dollars bring you to a place where you have sort of done all there is to do on that trip so moving to a new adventure only makes sense.

I had made that change already when I moved from pump machines to leavers. It made sense..

Over some years I had done everything I wanted to do there and lost my desire to go further.

Anyhow I had also given up moka pots many years ago and last month started thinking I wanted to revisit a moka pot so I started researching to see what cool stuff might be out there these days..... didn't find anything that made me buy one. :/

Then I was reminiscing and remembered the wild times I had building huge chocolate bomb crema shots with my beloved modded up Carezza.

On a whim I googled "best cheap espresso machine" and the Delonghi e155 kept coming up.

I went on YouTube and searched "Delonghi e155 shots"
And immediately saw videos where people depressurized the portafilter, made it bottomless, and are pulling those Guinness 100% crema bomb shots.

Went to Amazon... They are $84.

I will get this thing tomorrow and update as soon as I figure out if I can pull a good shot out of an $80 machine or not.

It sounds crazy but 1) I'm crazy and 2) I don't mind too much if this doesn't work out because I'm only doing this as an experiment. I don't need this to work out any certain way but from what I saw on YouTube I think I can have more than $84 worth of fun with this project.  ;D

Updates in a few days.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:23:18 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: I just intentionally ordered an $80 espresso machine.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
I already orderd a tamper and a replacement steam tip from OE so the mods are already underway before I've even seen the thing hahaha.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »
John's off his meds again.  Look out Colorado!!!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:22:22 PM »
 ;D

Lee Morrison

Offline mriversinco

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
Following this, and your mods.....

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
Following this, and your mods.....

I'm looking at La Pavoni baskets next.  : :D

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:23:59 PM »
So you will start with an 70 dollar machine,  mood it,  mod it, and hot rod it, so it's an 800 machine, then say hey Look at all the money I saved!~  LOL.

Have fun John that's all it's about here.  Things don't have to turn out super but just being able to say, Hey,  I did this and that once, is all that matters.  and hat you have a coffee that YOU can drink too.

Cheers.
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »
There is almost no doubt that I'll spend more on mods than the machine but I'm just goofing around.

I'm betting I will be able to get some good shots off this thing and have a fun project to document so it should work out pretty good.

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
John's How To Channel.
and today boys and girls, we are going to build a Ferrari  without using any Ferrari Parts,  but first a word from our sponsors.... pan over to the GCBC home page...  :)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
Indeed.... I've done this before on a Carezza so I sort of have some ideas how this might go down.

Lee Morrison

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
Can't wait to see how it goes down.  Then, of course, you'll be sick of it and put it up for sale.  I put in first dibs!  ;)
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
Can't wait to see how it goes down.  Then, of course, you'll be sick of it and put it up for sale.  I put in first dibs!  ;)

Hahahahaha.... It's like you know me/are predicting the future.

Lee Morrison

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »

Hahahahaha.... It's like you know me/are predicting the future.

I am frighteningly similar with my hobby addictions ......
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
Quick update... I'm still ordering parts.

I just ordered a basket to make a bottomless portafilter with so soon I'll be posting some pics and video of how things are going.

Tomorrow I'll start using the machine with the depressurized basket but I'm not sure yet if that's going to be interesting enough to start posting results or if that will happen once I get the new basket... I'll know tomorrow.

Anyway I did pull 1 shot with this machine when I got it after gutting the pressurized portafilter and was shocked how good it looked off a random tamp/grind.

I steamed milk with the giant goofy plastic tip and....shocked again how decent the milk was.

Maybe I'll get something interesting tomorrow but for now I'll start a mods and accessory list.

Tamper - 51mm Blue Snail Amazon
Steam tip 6mm 1 hole from OE
Basket - La pavoni Milinium (mp68) basket from Espresso Parts

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:53:31 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
I started off with one of these eons ago. I'm ashamed to say that the wife had me throw out the parts since it wasn't in use or I'd ship off the bottomless portafilter and spare parts!  :-[

I could pull ~alright~ shots with it, but somehow I was always choking it out. I wasn't very good at dialing in a grind at that point though.