Author Topic: Automatic Espresso  (Read 1360 times)

Offline jmp

• Standard User
Automatic Espresso
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:27:07 AM »
I just got back from Grand Cayman. They opened a new Bluestone Lane coffee shop. After I ordered an espresso I realized it was made on an automatic machine and felt like returning it. I did try it after talking to the manager who is from Australia. I couldn’t believe that it was good. The extraction didn’t have any faults and I enjoyed it. The only fault was that the mouth feel was thin as I like a thick feel. It was a new $25,000 machine Eversys E4. I then ordered a macchiato and the milk foaming also good.
I now am just feeling depressed because I can see the future , manual espresso making will be the thing of the past. We will just be pushing a button for our coffee!! Anyone else had experience with an automatic espresso?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Automatic Espresso
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
For 25000 that thing better give you a happy ending.
Yes for the price you can get a good automated machine.  Even though the process may at the point you seen been automated, I bet it still needed some adjustments and dial in.  All is not lost, most are not going to be able to afford that at home and nothing beats moms home cooking, or brewing for that matter.  A hand pulled is probably going to be better overall, because you CAN dial and tweak it in for very fine adjustments.  As you said yourself, it was a bit runny.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline jmp

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 04:12:09 PM »
It looks like you can dial in the temperature,grind, time of extraction and brew ratio, same as we do on our manual machines!!!

Offline jmp

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
The manager said hew would set the machine up every morning and then any of the staff can make the coffee. He liked this because he wouldn’t have to train and keep baristas which is the hardest do do in coffee shops.

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
The automated machines have been around for quite awhile.  I remember in Sweden (around 2011), every morning I would start the day off with an espresso followed by a Latte.  The cup was good but not as good as a manual.  A the plant each office had their own machine.  Wish my boss was so nice!

(still in Georgetown, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
Like a manual espresso machine, a high-end super auto can be tuned in fairly well by someone that knows what they're doing. The problem is, when you get a new bag of coffee or anything else changes, it requires an experienced guy to retune the shots. I'm not as opposed to super autos as some here, but I wouldn't expect a god shot or anything close. Pretty much milk drinks only.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
Im sure you could get a good shot, but not a god shot.  As you said, every time you change beans or anything, it needs to be re tweakered in again.  If you were in a place where you were serving 30 or 40 a day it might be worth the investment, press the button and go do something else for the minute or two it's busy.  Also on that lets be honest, how many of us genuinely,... go into a shop like that, expecting them to turn out something as good as we do, on a commercial basis?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!