Author Topic: Has Garanti 2kg Electric Model Issue. . . . . . .  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Has Garanti 2kg Electric Model Issue. . . . . . .
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
Okay. . . So my buddy and I just purchased a used Has Garanti 2kg electric roaster and we are having an issue. The model uses infared heat transfer and has a 110v plug. So, naturally I am assuming it would run when plugged into a standard 110v outlet. Now . . . I am wondering why then when the roaster is plugged in that it will turn on, but when I try to activate the rotation of the drum, turn the blower on, or turn on the colling tray agitator my apartment shorts. . . I have everything turned off minus the refrigerator. I have a step up / step down convertor and this still allows te machine to turn on. . . but will not allow the drum to turn, blower to turn on, and cooling tray to turn on.

Anybody have any ideas? What is up?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Has Garanti 2kg Electric Model Issue. . . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
How much you want for it?    ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:24:53 AM »
Haha. . . Yea, considering we just opened the crate and managed to get it into my place today I can not really say we are even remotely close to being able to answer that question. I can tell you it retails for $9k new.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »
The unit draws more amps than the circuit that it is plugged in can handle.

You might want to use a dedicated circuit. Find out how many amps the unit is rated for and see if you have a circuit that can handle that draw.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:19:55 AM by harryho »

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:22:42 AM »
Okay. . . So my buddy and I just purchased a used Has Garanti 2kg electric roaster and we are having an issue. The model uses infared heat transfer and has a 110v plug. So, naturally I am assuming it would run when plugged into a standard 110v outlet. Now . . . I am wondering why then when the roaster is plugged in that it will turn on, but when I try to activate the rotation of the drum, turn the blower on, or turn on the colling tray agitator my apartment shorts. . . I have everything turned off minus the refrigerator. I have a step up / step down convertor and this still allows te machine to turn on. . . but will not allow the drum to turn, blower to turn on, and cooling tray to turn on.

Anybody have any ideas? What is up?

I suspect it's a 240 volt machine... does it say anywhere on it what the voltage and current requirements... I doubt you'd be able to roast 5 lbs of coffee with a 110V... bake it maybe, but not roast it.

The previous owner could have used the wrong plug and still run it at 240 V.  

If it's a 240 Volt machine (Which I suspect it is) With a step up transformer you would need well over double the current..... so if you need 20 A at 240V then with a step up transformer you would need 110 V source that is at least 40 A but probably closer to a 50 amp, 110V circuit.... good luck with that BTW.... most 110v outlets are 15 or 20 Amps... my guess is you don't have a big enough circuit.

You could re-wire it into 2 or 3 circuits but would need several transformers too....

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:25:21 AM by milowebailey »

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »
I looked at their website and the voltages are listed as 110-220-380 for that size roaster.  It didn't break down the requirements between the electric and gas fired roasters.  I highly doubt that you are going to roast that much coffee with electric heaters at 110v when just the motors are using 750 watts alone.

kp

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
Okay, so I know for a fact it is 110v, I emailed Has Garanti to get more details on amp usage. I am currently living in an apartment, so the dedicated circuit thing is not an option. How many amps does a standard refrigerator use? Probably far fewer than a roaster. . . I was pondering pushing the fridge out of the way to try it anyway. If push comes to shove couldn't I just get a generator to power the thing? I have seen ones that produce around 6500 watts, and I cannot imagine it uses more than that. . . . although I guess watts indicate power and amps coulombs per second. . . Are there standard generators that would produce the equivalent of a 30 or 40 amp circuit?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:58:57 AM »
I think (if some of the presumptions in this thread are correct about amp load) you may still want to break up the power, different things in the roaster feeding from different breakers in your panel...  (motor group, heater, controls)  my electric kettle and coffee grinder are on a 20 amp circuit and when the kettle turns of the motor speeds up a little bit... so your  heating element will effect a lot of stuff... just in the roaster  (hope the property manager likes coffee :D

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:51:12 AM »
Okay, so I know for a fact it is 110v, I emailed Has Garanti to get more details on amp usage. I am currently living in an apartment, so the dedicated circuit thing is not an option. How many amps does a standard refrigerator use? Probably far fewer than a roaster. . . I was pondering pushing the fridge out of the way to try it anyway. If push comes to shove couldn't I just get a generator to power the thing? I have seen ones that produce around 6500 watts, and I cannot imagine it uses more than that. . . . although I guess watts indicate power and amps coulombs per second. . . Are there standard generators that would produce the equivalent of a 30 or 40 amp circuit?

Simple formula..... Power (watts) ~= Voltage x Current (that make some assumptions but will get you really close)

Motors 750 Watts.... at 120 V... they are pulling 6.25 amps...

from their site...  heater pulls "4 kW for electric" = 33.33 amps

add them together... you need a 40 A, 120 volt circuit  Oh and for 40A... use #8 wire (#6 would be better)

or a 20 Amp 240 volt circuit with #12 wire

odd there is not tag on the roaster that gives you the electrical requirements.

Is there a Gas input to it?  

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:59:44 AM by milowebailey »

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know.

Speaking of inquiring minds...

You mentioned you live in a apartment; how do you plan to vent the smoke, and how well do you get along with your neighbors?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
My neighbors love coffee, they all know what I am up to. One of them actually saw my friends and I moving the beast and instantly looked as if they went into a trance . . . then they started petting it. The property manager knows I am head deep as well. I get quite a few commercial espresso machines / parts sent to me every week and she receives most of the packages.

I have not seen a gas hookup anywhere as of yet. The heating coil has 6 points where electric wires attach. The heating coil is visible. . . can you even heat a heating coil with gas? Has Garanti is odd in that if you pay extra to get a custom engraved copper drum cover you cannot get a metal tag with specs put on your machine. The former owner had a custom cover made, so there is no tag to be found.

As far as venting is concerned, the roaster and chaff collector are situated right next to the glass siding door to my porch. So, anytime I roast I will just throw the vent hosing on, crack the door and start roasting.

Do they make 40amp 120 volt generators? If so, I could throw that out on the porch too. . . then my neighbors would really love me :) .

Thank you for all of the help everyone!

Here is a picture of the wires going to the electric coil. A picture of the roaster for all the curious minds too  ;) .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:48:35 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
[quote

Simple formula..... Power (watts) ~= Voltage x Current (that make some assumptions but will get you really close)

Motors 750 Watts.... at 120 V... they are pulling 6.25 amps...

from their site...  heater pulls "4 kW for electric" = 33.33 amps

add them together... you need a 40 A, 120 volt circuit  Oh and for 40A... use #8 wire (#6 would be better)

or a 20 Amp 240 volt circuit with #12 wire

odd there is not tag on the roaster that gives you the electrical requirements.

[/quote]

With a 40amp load, you better be using a 50amp circuit.  I just don't see this happening with a standard household circuit.  Even splitting the motors from the heaters, the heaters alone would draw too much current.  I think it would be best if you could somehow rewire the heating side to 220v.  I just don't understand how they expect the roaster to run on a 120v circuit.   ???

kp

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:41 AM »
Most generators have circuit breakers on the 120v outlets that would trip out long before 40amps.

kp

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
I don't know about this plan....there are all kinds of warnings going off in my head as I read this thread!
Here's what I'm thinkin':

Roasting 4lbs of coffee with that machine in an apartment, on carpet, without properly sized wiring to handle the current load or properly installed venting ... seems like it's rolling the safety dice a bit more than the apartment management is likely to be comfortable with. 
The amount of smoke that's likely to be generated may very well set off your smoke alarms.... possibly your neighbors smoke alarms too! Without a drawing fan on the other end of that vent, you're going to be dependent on the wind to have half a chance of carrying the smoke and chaff outside and keeping it there.

If your heating coil has six points where wires attach.... that sounds like 3 phase connection with each of three coils on different legs of the circuit. Do you have a wiring diagram from the mfgr that shows how this thing is supposed to be hooked up? I'd be really careful about connecting electric wires to the machine without one!
If your house wires are not properly sized for the current load (assuming you can replace a circuit breaker with a higher amp switch) they could heat up and possibly melt the cladding and start a fire... depending on how overloaded they are for how long anyway.

I'm not sure that 2kg roasting machines were designed to be used in an apartment. Using a Hottop Roaster is a fire hazard enough (as has been reported here).
Didn't you have a FAB plan? What happened to that?  I'll have to check the thread to see what the update is.

Just my two cents....
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.