Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31664 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »
I think my early days must have taken a toll on my hearing.

I listened to a Bose wave a few weeks ago and it sounded good to me. The outdoor speakers I liked were also Bose.

I have Starbucks ears...so shameful.  :(
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »

I listened to a Bose wave a few weeks ago and it sounded good to me. The outdoor speakers I liked were also Bose.

+1.  I know I have hearing issues -- close to too many F-4s and -105s.  However, look at it this way John.  It is a rabbit hole that isn't even tempting for us.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »
That's why we need stronger amps, to get past the hearing 'issues' we have.
30 years around screaming turbines, (and occasional screaming division officers) took it's toll on my hearing.

Then again I was the retard who had 1600 watts in his 83 Plymouth turismo back in the late 80's, before it really became popular to be audibly obnoxious on the road.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »

Try shooting competitively with a Colt 45 ACP. My hearing in both the high and low ranges is such that even AM radio sounds good.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
Tex, I have a ruger blackhawk chambered in .30 cal carbine.  You want to talk about a loud ass gun... man that thing can make your ears ring.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

Try shooting competitively with a Colt 45 ACP. My hearing in both the high and low ranges is such that even AM radio sounds good.

Which is why a pair of these go with me to the range every time.

Of course, way back in the 50's when you were shooting competitively, nobody thought about hearing protection.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I'm religious about hearing protection. When I worked construction, I always had a pair of muffs on or just clamped on the top of my head if there was nothing loud going on. I still wear them when running any kind of power equipment, even just mowing the lawn. If I'm shooting, I double up with foam ear plugs AND muffs.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
grinderz I always wore my hearing protection in the engine room, the boiler room etc as well but I still took a hit on my hearing.  I wonder if sometimes a noise is just so loud it just goes right through you and does it's damage.

Here's something to consider,  driving with your car window open, the wind blowing across your ears,  it's low freq but how loud is that really?  I mean, all sound is is pressure waves or air movement right?   I wonder what kind of damage the wind blowing across your ears does.

Aaron

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
I'm sure that open windows in cars can be a problem and even minor damage is cumulative over time. About your hearing loss, I suspect you are right. Hearing protection is very helpful, but damage can still occur in spite of it. Sound is actually transmitted through the bones in our heads, not just through direct impingement on the ear drum, and muffs don't protect against that if the noise is loud enough.

Tex

« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »

Which is why a pair of these go with me to the range every time.

Of course, way back in the 50's when you were shooting competitively, nobody thought about hearing protection.

Actually, it was the early 60's; but you're right - at the company level no one was told to use ear protection when qualifying. After I made the pistol team and began a 20+ year career of shooting competitively, I did wear both plugs & ear muffs; but the damage was already done. I did get a 20% military disability for my hearing loss, but I'd happily give all the money back to not have the constant LOUD ringing in my ears!

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
sometimes I have ringing but most of the times it's more of a buzz.  Add that to the migraines and yeppers, my life is fun fun fun!!

Aaron

Tex

« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »
sometimes I have ringing but most of the times it's more of a buzz.  Add that to the migraines and yeppers, my life is fun fun fun!!

Aaron

Can you imagine what the hearing is like for the swabbies in the turrets of an Iowa-class battleship when those 16" guns were salvoed?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
actually Tex it was more of a pressure wave that was set off, no super loud bang, just a literal sucking as the oxygen got burned.
I was on a battle ship for a short time during my electrician days and whenever we fired the guns, we would have to light off a few extra boilers because if the BT on watch was not careful, it would suck the fires out of the boiler when the gun went off.  Having extras online helped prevent the big problem of no boilers which would then equal in about 30 seconds, no electricity.

Aaron

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
UPDATE!! I figured out what the problem with our old Pioneer tuner was. The problem was that I'm a audio-ignoramus. I had the line from the entertainment PC going into the phono input on the tuner. Everyone over 45 is probably thinking "what a dummy," but I didn't realize that the phonograph line has an extra amplifier section so I was getting clipping due to the input signal being too high. We're rocking out to Roy Rogers (the Cajun blues slide guitar player - not the cowboy) as I type this.

Offline pgde

• Standard User
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
Any update on release date?
Behmor 2000AB/Behmor Brewer