Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31663 times)

milowebailey

Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
Pre-soak is adjustable isn't it?  Maybe you just need some time to tune it in.  I saw it at SCAA and I like it.  I might buy one for the cabin.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »
Anxiously awaiting seldomseensmith Sunday morning meet and greet with Gort.
I have squirreled-away the necessary dollars for this purchase, now just waiting
for a few GCBC-ers to give a solid in depth review.  Hopefully the pre-soak is an adjustable parameter. 

Thanks in advance!

seldomseensmith

« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »
The presoak time is adjustable, but not the volume of water - unless I'm missing something.

I'm too frustrated right now to write a thoughtful response - as I burned my nether regions when I finally pulled the basket from the machine. But this was an 8 cup brew, with 70 grams of coffee, ground course. Coffee started pouring out of all of the cracks around where the basket inserts, as well as from where it was suppose to be coming from. It seems pretty obvious that the coffee bloomed up and clogged the machine. But I used the manufacturers instructions, so not too happy.

EricBNC

« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
Meet Gort MFers!!!!!

Might have to take a rain check...

:(

seldomseensmith

« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »
After calming down a bit, I went back to playing. I jumped back in with 50 grams fully coarse. The brew went fine but the coffee was weak. I then upped it to 60 grams fully coarse. About 10-15 drops came from places that they shouldn't have, and the dispersion screen was quasi-covered in coffee. The strength of the coffee is reasonable and the taste is pretty solid. But I guess the bottom line is that you can't do a strong 8 cup pot? And when I say "strong," I don't mean freakishly strong. I mean 70 grams, which is what the manufacturer recommends, "60-70g."

For the record, I'm using a Bunn G3 with new burrs

Tex

« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »
After calming down a bit, I went back to playing. I jumped back in with 50 grams fully coarse. The brew went fine but the coffee was weak. I then upped it to 60 grams fully coarse. About 10-15 drops came from places that they shouldn't have, and the dispersion screen was quasi-covered in coffee. The strength of the coffee is reasonable and the taste is pretty solid. But I guess the bottom line is that you can't do a strong 8 cup pot? And when I say "strong," I don't mean freakishly strong. I mean 70 grams, which is what the manufacturer recommends, "60-70g."

For the record, I'm using a Bunn G3 with new burrs

Sounds a bit too strong? I've found 60 grams is about right for 10 cups using a gold-mesh filter in the TV I bought from Jim.

milowebailey

« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
The presoak time is adjustable, but not the volume of water - unless I'm missing something.

I'm too frustrated right now to write a thoughtful response - as I burned my nether regions when I finally pulled the basket from the machine. But this was an 8 cup brew, with 70 grams of coffee, ground course. Coffee started pouring out of all of the cracks around where the basket inserts, as well as from where it was suppose to be coming from. It seems pretty obvious that the coffee bloomed up and clogged the machine. But I used the manufacturers instructions, so not too happy.

Send a PM to tahoejoe he might know a little about this machine.  I hear he has used a beta version for a while. 8)

RobertL

« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
I don't use an automatic coffee maker but applying the ratios I use for pourover 60-70 grams for 8 cups is kind of weak. I'm assuming the "cups" are six ounces each.

EricBNC

« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »
When I use the DG/TechniVorm or the Bonavita 1800, I use the 60g/1000mL ratio. for a 1200mL full pot this ratio would call for 72g of ground coffee. The extra 3g to get to 75g shouldn't be a deal breaker.

seldomseensmith

« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
Barry at Roastmasters - where I ordered from - said I need to make my pre-soak time longer. Right now it's at 40 seconds - which makes a lot of sense to me. But he said it needs to be in the 1:15 - 2:00 range for fresh coffee.

BoldJava

« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Joe posted on CG this a.m.

"SCAA guidelines are 55 grams per liter, thus 66 for 1.2L

SCAE (europe) are 65 per liter, thus 76 for 1.2L

I tend to use about 66-68 per 1.2L

On a side note.. when first starting, set pre-soak for 1:20 especially if using extremely fresh roasted coffee.. and don't overgrind."

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Meet Gort!
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
The unit for the road show should arrive tomorrow according to the tracking info.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
I generally will not brew with less than 72 hours after the roast BUT see where some are jumping in with rests at 1-2 days and like my brothers, the beans are full of gas.

In those cases longer pre-soak time may be needed as is evidenced by what a few others have illuded to. My comments were based on a 3 days rest and to date even on 7 days old will go no less than 1:20.

Just a quick clarification.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:45:57 AM by tahoejoe »

Soapbox

« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
Lo and behold mine ended up on the stoop while I was at work. 

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
Meet Gort MFers!!!!!

This is the first time I've ever used an auto-brewer. I bought this thing to work a farmers market, cuz cleaning out french presses into buckets is no fun. I just did my first brew; it's late so it was decaf. I'm not going to comment on the cup until I can put one of my favorite coffees though it (tomorrow morning). But my initial comment is that the pre-soak uses way too much water; pretty much just like brewing.

Pre-soak is based to the standards set by the SCAA, that being 2ml per gram of coffee. Given we are going to be anywhere from 66-77 grams we did 15 seconds at 10ml per, which puts us on par w/ the SCAA standards. If you are doing a short load  more water will not effect the brew.

However IF you wish to use the manual release feature, it is explained in the manual how to over ride the presets and do a manual release with timers for each function of the valve open as well as closed. Found in the manual on Page 5- Brew Using Manual Release

Pick your poison..

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:42:33 PM by tahoejoe »