Author Topic: More trouble in SAMA land  (Read 1189 times)

SJM

More trouble in SAMA land
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
So, now she's having a serious HISSY fit.
Twice in a row today she has blown the portafilter and basket and everything in its way right across the room....well, no, but it felt like that.  Huh?
Pressure measured at the steam valve is 1 bar.

Any ideas?
I've cleaned it up the first time it happened and thought maybe it was due to a dirty shower screen (which came off the first time).  I cleaned her, heated her back up, checked the pressure, pulled the lever down for pre-infuse, let it back up, and BAM!!!!!!  coffee and glass (and my scale)....all over the place.

What the ?????

HELL P
Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: More trouble in SAMA land
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
did any Dow111 (or whatever grease you used) get on the portafilter gasket? 
gasket should be free of any lubes.

unfor I know from experience...  my first machine, used of course, needed a new PF gasket (was dried and
cracked).  I knew right away the previous owner was an idiot for not greasing the gasket to keep it from drying out.
First shot, PF flew across the room while I turned to fetch the pitcher and milk.  I assumed I didn't tighten the
PF sufficiently.  Next shot cranked down and watched as the handle started to rotate out. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:28:17 PM by expy98 »

SJM

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
I definitely never put grease on the gasket, but I have greased the cylinder once or twice, and that could have seeped down and worked to deteriorate the gasket.

The gasket is definitely toast.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare here, so my SAMA days are gonna be on hold again for another while.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
Where are you going to get that gasket?

Last time I looked at OE all that stuff was gone with the wind. I haven't had the courage to look yet but hopefully 1st line picked up the parts.

And secondly do you beat that machine? Do you call it bad names or something? Why does it continue to revolt?  ::)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:51:34 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
I would sell it, cheap.  I will give you $150 and pick up the shipping and paypal fees.

SJM

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
I made the mistake of selling my first SAMA.
I will never sell this one.

Gaskets?  for the SAMA??   There are several possibilities: 
The Good Coffee Company in Seattle.
OE on their sale special (mine are coming from here this time).
1st Line Equipment.

Joe at The Good Coffee Company is by far my preferred source of everything having to do with the SAMA.