Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 31674 times)

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
Barry at Roastmasters - where I ordered from - said I need to make my pre-soak time longer. Right now it's at 40 seconds - which makes a lot of sense to me. But he said it needs to be in the 1:15 - 2:00 range for fresh coffee.

I don't mind taking heat for my mistakes but the manual clearly states: Fresh roasts under 3 days old may benefit from a pre-soak of 1 ½ minutes, you chose to do :40 because it made sense to you but that isn't what we (designers/ mamufacturers) instruct users. These instructions are found Page 6 in Tips area, Pre-soak.

Also addressed in the manual, and how the gold filter could clog if the grind is too fine, this is found on page 4, item 2 under Brewing Instructions

Again I don't mind taking heat if I/WE/BEHMOR screw up..but to have launched at me is unfair when we try to steer users in the right direction and the directions aren't heeded.

Please read the manual..then if we are wrong take your shot and I'll accept that hit.

ps.. I've just created a short guide to assist..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:27:58 PM by tahoejoe »

Tex

« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
You should put this sticker on the machine Joe, "When all else fails, read the bleepin' instructions!"
 ;D

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
You should put this sticker on the machine Joe, "When all else fails, read the bleepin' instructions!"
 ;D

Thanks Tex for the laugh.. it frustrates me because I genuinely care and have no problem taking heat for our mistakes and we'll sadly make'm and I'll accept the hit

seldomseensmith

« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »
Barry at Roastmasters - where I ordered from - said I need to make my pre-soak time longer. Right now it's at 40 seconds - which makes a lot of sense to me. But he said it needs to be in the 1:15 - 2:00 range for fresh coffee.

I don't mind taking heat for my mistakes but the manual clearly states: Fresh roasts under 3 days old may benefit from a pre-soak of 1 ½ minutes, you chose to do :40 because it made sense to you but that isn't what we (designers/ mamufacturers) instruct users. These instructions are found Page 6 in Tips area, Pre-soak.

Also addressed in the manual, and how the gold filter could clog if the grind is too fine, this is found on page 4, item 2 under Brewing Instructions

Again I don't mind taking heat if I/WE/BEHMOR screw up..but to have launched at me is unfair when we try to steer users in the right direction and the directions aren't heeded.

Please read the manual..then if we are wrong take your shot and I'll accept that hit.

ps.. I've just created a short guide to assist..

That's my bad Joe, I didn't see that in the manual; I just went with the pre-infusion that I've grown accustom to.

This is my first time using an auto-brewer; I'm really impressed so far. Good work guys!!!

Soapbox

« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2012, 05:26:17 AM »
I'm a fan of super hot coffee.  What I've learned is it is possible to make a bitter pot from setting the temperature to high.  Second pot was in line and I'm enjoying it now.  And it was nice that I was able to wake up and not have to stumble around fixing the pour over.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
The road show Gort arrived yesterday and I was able to brew one batch through the unit. The coffee came out tasting like crap, which I am quite sure was the fault of myself or the grinder I was using. I will take more time to experiment this weekend.

I do love the look of the brewer.

BozemanEric

« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Mine just arrived from FedEx.  Now if I can just get payroll done, I might get to play with it.

Tex

« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
The road show Gort arrived yesterday and I was able to brew one batch through the unit. The coffee came out tasting like crap, which I am quite sure was the fault of myself or the grinder I was using. I will take more time to experiment this weekend.

Too late now, but I meant to ask you to pay attention to any chemical smell, particularly plastic, emanating from the machine when you opened it. My pet peeve with stuff imported from Asia are the lubricants/release agents used in manufacturing.

Not that I've heard anything bad about this machine, just cautious in general.

Soapbox

« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »

Too late now, but I meant to ask you to pay attention to any chemical smell, particularly plastic, emanating from the machine when you opened it. My pet peeve with stuff imported from Asia are the lubricants/release agents used in manufacturing.

I did pay close attention and there were NO adverse smells nor coatings on anything which would affect the use of the unit in any fashion.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

No, nothing like that. Just a very bitter cup of coffee.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

No, nothing like that. Just a very bitter cup of coffee.

What water temp?

Soapbox

« Reply #236 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
Bitter at 204.  Acceptable at 200.  I guess I am going to have to still warm the cups.  Elida nat 3 days post roast 55 grams to 6 cups.  I still need to work on dose/grind to get it where I like.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:19:24 PM by Soapbox »

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
Bitter at 204.  Acceptable at 200.  I guess I am going to have to still warm the cups.

Try 202.. you'll get a small drop in temp to the grounds but still a very hot brew

Soapbox

« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
Well since Wednesday is a church night I just whooped up 3 cups.  I used the same ratio's I would for the V60 and it is very very good.  Set temp 202 at 400ft elevation.
36 grams and water to the calibration line.
I dropped the pre soak time from 2:30 down to 1 min.

Excellent cup

Tex

« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2012, 05:54:02 PM »
Bitter at 204.  Acceptable at 200.  I guess I am going to have to still warm the cups.

Try 202.. you'll get a small drop in temp to the grounds but still a very hot brew

I imagine it's the same as making espresso: Too bitter, drop the temp. Too sour, raise the temp? How about roast levels; with espresso the rule of thumb is darker roasts need lower temps and vice-versa.