Author Topic: Fan For A Bean Cooler.  (Read 4808 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Fan For A Bean Cooler.
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »
When I upgraded my roasting setup to an RK drum I also built a a larger bean cooler. After using the cooling setup for a few months now I am finding it inadequate to cool the bean in a reasonable amount of time. Now that I am using the setup in the hotter summer months I find that it takes ~4 minutes to get the beans down to a temp where they can be agitated without using gloves. Right now I am using a larger variation of this setup.

While doing research on the internet I found this a writeup on this cooler with links to several variations on the design. I really like the simple compact design:

I am having trouble finding the fan shown in the pictures.  Anyone know where to source one? The original post was made to an Australian forum, so I am looking for an equivalent item in the US market. I've looked at the exhaust fans at Lowe's (in the bathroom dept) and they don't look anything like what's in the picture above.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Fan For A Bean Cooler.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »
headchange4u, have you run across this?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
This would work, but you'd need to make a flange or ring for it, since it's only 6.75" diameter.

http://xrl.in/5hff
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
I made a bean cooler out of a Rubbermaid tub, a screen box and a garage sale leaf blower. Cools 18 ounces in <30 seconds.

And, yes Jeffo, I'm starting this sentence with a conjunction AND "tub" does not have an "e" in it. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:23:33 PM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
I use a box fan - $14.95 at Target. I think it's 20"x20". I built a box the same dimensions and put bronze screen (hardware store window screen size holes) on the bottom and then added another 1" after the screen to keep it off the fan...

I will be tackling this next weekend.  Big Mike was also after a simple set-up/design and I will share with him.  Oh boy, science project and shop class all rolled in to one.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
I can't find my bean cooler pics?!?!?!

I used a squirrel cage fan out of a car...  mounted it in a 5 gal bucket, second bucket on top, kitchen strainer in that and it pulls lots of air...

pete from I have a Bean has a nice cooler that blows air in from the bottom and blows chaff out the top... (using a leaf blower, but he has bigger batches)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
I use a box fan - $14.95 at Target. I think it's 20"x20". I built a box the same dimensions....

Sounds similar to what i was think of using for my second design choice for a new bean cooler. The bucket design is my first choice because i already have  all the materials needed except for the fan.

Are you setting the fan on buckets for air intake?  Got a pic of your setup? 

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »
I just cut the bottom out of a 5-gallon plastic bucket and tied it on an inverted table fan using plastic ties. A large sieve holds the beans and it cools 2 lbs of beans to room temp in 2 minutes flat!

I've been meaning to get a fan that sits flat but this works so I haven't been too motivated to change it.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:30 AM »
I used a fan scavaged out of a house furnace, these are cheap to buy used.  If you know a furnace man he will may just give you one.   Not very portable but if you can make it work it really pulls a suction.  I just made a plywood box around mine to duct the air, with a stock pot sitting on the box.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:28:30 AM by Ringo »
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:57:50 AM »
Electric radiator/condenser fan?

Something like this
??

At 2100 CFM, you might need to dial it back a bit ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
Curly's cooling apparatus, reduced.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
... and then added another 1" after the screen to keep it off the fan. I used bronze ...

Curly

I followed everything but the statement above.  Added 'what' another 1" to keep 'what' off the fan?  Yer speakin' Minnesota, der Curly.

Bought the fan.  That's a start, no?

B|Engineer
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:16:13 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
Since I was having no luck in finding a fan to fit in a bucket, I also purchased a 20" box fan this  weekend. I am going to forgo the wooden box until I can get some scrap, so for now I'll be cutting up a plastic tub to set over the fan. I'm sure stepping up from the 10" fan I'm using now to a 20" fan will greatly reduce my cooling time. I'll post pics when done.

Offline bobvilax2000

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
If I use a 5 gallon pickle bucket to make a cooler, do you guys think it will taint my beans at all?  ??? 
I wouldn't think so, but... :-X

- -Barrett

Tex

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
If I use a 5 gallon pickle bucket to make a cooler, do you guys think it will taint my beans at all?  ??? 
I wouldn't think so, but... :-X

- -Barrett

Maybe - I'd opt for a bucket used for pickled Jalapenos just top be safe.