Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 51341 times)

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
Re: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
The ship has come in!
Excited to get started! I'll be reading the thread tomorrow, AFTER I shave!  ;D

I think that is probably a good way to proceed, especially with those straights that Py sent along!

The other blades, you could just load one of them into the TTO/butterfly Gilette handle (did I mention that I like the Astras?)  :) and shave without much worry. Use the "Clubman" (also provided by Py) shave cream, agitated with the brush that is in the kit, and you are golden. -Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:22:36 PM by PaulM »
Catch and release - into the grease!

jspain

« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »
Good advice Paul!

jspain

« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
The ship has come in!
Excited to get started! I'll be reading the thread tomorrow, AFTER I shave!  ;D

I think that is probably a good way to proceed, especially with those straights that Py sent along!

The other blades, you could just load one of them into the TTO/butterfly Gilette handle (did I mention that I like the Astras?)  :) and shave without much worry. Use the "Clubman" (also provided by Py) shave cream, agitated with the brush that is in the kit, and you are golden. -Paul

I took Paul's advice today and enjoyed the shave. Nice and CLOSE! I did over do it a bit and I have sensitive fair skin. A few nics but the after shave crème soothed the small rash. I know I'm going to like this. The shaving crème agitated in the cup was a nice addition and felt great! I am going to try thee straight edge. I'll report back!

jspain

« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
UPDATE!

After 3 shaves with the Gillette SS and Astra blad I'm ready to move and try another blade. I have also spent 90 minutes going through this entire thread! I also have looked at the "how too" videos. My first shave left me with several nics and one small cut! The second and third shave I did not use the pressure I did on the first shave. Now after looking at the "how too" and reading the thread I understand my mistakes!!! I guess I should have read and looked first.

Question one for the straight edges: "Do I need to use the strap to sharpen before I use it? I will sterilize it first and rinse with HOT water. Do I need to do anything else?

Question two: Do I add the shave crème into the cup with the soap that is already there or use a no soap cup to agitate the crème?

Having fun with it all! I'm already to jump into the rabbit hole!!!   :)

GC7

« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Jim - I would hope that any straight sent to you was stropped and shave ready out of the box. I would not touch a strop until after you try the blade as I don't know anyone who did not mess up an edge stropping before learning proper technique. The last user might want to give you a heads up as to the blades condition. If it's not shave ready I'm happy to hone and strop any blades. Keep a steep angle on your face (the spine about two widths off your face) and light pressure. Perhaps try to shave some arm hair first to see if its shave ready.

I face later exclusively these days but put a small almond sized lump of cream in a clean bowl or dip the brush in a container and then just slowly add water and mix away until you get the consistency you like.

Have fun

jspain

« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
Jim - I would hope that any straight sent to you was stropped and shave ready out of the box. I would not touch a strop until after you try the blade as I don't know anyone who did not mess up an edge stropping before learning proper technique. The last user might want to give you a heads up as to the blades condition. If it's not shave ready I'm happy to hone and strop any blades. Keep a steep angle on your face (the spine about two widths off your face) and light pressure. Perhaps try to shave some arm hair first to see if its shave ready.

I face later exclusively these days but put a small almond sized lump of cream in a clean bowl or dip the brush in a container and then just slowly add water and mix away until you get the consistency you like.

Have fun

THANK YOU!!!!!

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
I would say you have to pick your goal here.

If you want to learn to shave with a traditional double-edge razor, there are a lot of choices in handles and blades, and no matter what you choose that isn't very hard.

If you want to learn to shave with the straights, Pyment has provided an awesome starter set and others here have offered to sharpen them. I'm sure many here would help with that, and am sure Pyment would respond to any questions you may have about his straights if you PM him directly.

Or better yet, you could get the best of both worlds while the den is with you (which I think it will be for as long as you want it) - just keep using the safeties in that Gillette butterfly handle (or whatever other handles you buy) and read up on straight shaving. Unless you are like my friend Chris the bald-headed Italian, you probably don't have to shave twice a day, so you will have some time!  ;)

-Paul

Good luck Jim!

jspain

« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
I would say you have to pick your goal here.

If you want to learn to shave with a traditional double-edge razor, there are a lot of choices in handles and blades, and no matter what you choose that isn't very hard.

If you want to learn to shave with the straights, Pyment has provided an awesome starter set and others here have offered to sharpen them. I'm sure many here would help with that, and am sure Pyment would respond to any questions you may have about his straights if you PM him directly.

Or better yet, you could get the best of both worlds while the den is with you (which I think it will be for as long as you want it) - just keep using the safeties in that Gillette butterfly handle (or whatever other handles you buy) and read up on straight shaving. Unless you are like my friend Chris the bald-headed Italian, you probably don't have to shave twice a day, so you will have some time!  ;)

-Paul

Good luck Jim!

Paul,

I'm having fun with ALL THE STUFF!!!

I want to try the straight just to say I did! I haven't yet and I doubt very much I would make that my normal routine. I have already ordered my own double edge Merkur, brush, etc. I know I want to now jump into that hole.

On todays shave I was on my second lather and shave going against the grain.... my bad! 1/4 skin extraction!!! No band aid but a nice after effect is apparent! I need to be more careful. I'm enjoying a hot moist towel, the soak, the crème, the brush and soap. I just need to not be as forceful and more careful. My first shaves I used the Astra. Now I have a Wilkinson in the Gillette. I think half my hide is still attached!   ::)   

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
I certainly believe success is in just going easy, no matter what blades or methods you decide. The modern cartridges try to make that easier for us, but they clog.

I was too chicken to try the straights.

Whatever you choose, just go easy, no pressure (literally, don't apply pressure to the blade), and it all becomes so simple so fast, I wish I had learned that a long time ago. I would have saved so much money.

I'm glad you are enjoying the den! Enjoy it while you have it, and only pass it on when you are through with it. There is a lot of stuff in there, and it takes some time to sample it all.

Cheers!
-Paul

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
P.S. I think you will be very happy with the Merkur! Nice choice. As good as the vintage speed/butterfly Gillette is, I think you'll find the modern German-made Merkur to be a lot better, and surprisingly so. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:09:34 PM by PaulM »

jspain

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »
Paul,

You and I see eye to eye with German engineering! I love those cars! I'm sure it will transfer to the shave! Thanks for your earlier advice.

I'm going to wait a few days before I tackle the straight!  ;)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
I just purchased 100 feather blades while the Yen is low. I love them in the feather razor and if I feel like I want to risk it I will stick one in the Weber.

The straights went dull on me too fast and I wasn't getting great results.

GC7

« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

The straights went dull on me too fast and I wasn't getting great results.
A good part of what I like about the straights is there are no disposable parts. It's the link to the past and having to take care of them, keep them sharp and use them carefully in a zen-like concentration. I found after probably two months I was getting much better shaves with the straights then I was with the Slim adjustable, Muhle R89 or Merkur Slant. Only a small area under the right side of my chin seems to be resistant to clean BBS with the straight.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »
I stuck with it for a week and gave up. The stropping before each shave didn't seem to help.

GC7

« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »
I stuck with it for a week and gave up. The stropping before each shave didn't seem to help.
I'm sure the stropping ruined your edge. It's very easy to roll an edge and I know not a single person who has not done it. I'm lucky to have a few real honemeisters near me that acted as mentors for maintaining my straights, buying and using hones adn spending my money for me  ;D. Without them I would have put my first in a drawer and left it there too. That's why I'm happy to keep honing anyone's razors (for shipping fees) as long as they are willing to keep trying. At the end of the day, I found it rewarding but everyone is different and no one is right or wrong.