Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 51375 times)

jspain

Oh, surely someone else wants to try this? I watched this thread for years before I finally put my toe in. I can say that having had the shave den for a little while it really did change the way I shave, for the very much better. I should have tried it sooner, I would have saved a lot of money.

And I assure you I am no hipster.  Too old...  ;)

So who's next? Just post here or PM Jspain and I'm sure he will be in touch directly.

-Paul

Like Paul said, "I'd love to pass this along to the next happy customer!"

I've had a blast trying everything and now that I have made the "official plunge" into the double edge world I'd love to help the next guy make the switch!

I'm at the Grand Canyon right now but can ship it out next Wednesday! Holler and I'll ship!"

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
I'm at the Grand Canyon right now but can ship it out next Wednesday! Holler and I'll ship!"

You now gave me Grand Canyon envy!

Are you planning to fly around the area or just observe from the top?

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

;D

Hiking for 3 days on the rim and a partial trip down into the canyon. The snow and ice have made the trails going down VERY dicey!

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"

Me too. I was there only once but remember it very well. Jim, definitely try to see it from the north rim if you have a chance. It looks much different from there.
Catch and release - into the grease!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!

;D

Hiking for 3 days on the rim and a partial trip down into the canyon. The snow and ice have made the trails going down VERY dicey!

I see. That is not surprising this time of year.

Sounds like you are having a great time in spite of the weather.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

Shave den ready to ship to the next willing soul! Who's up???

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
I am using the Big Ben blades now, and have to say they compare well to the Astras, and may be even better. Jim, if you still have the kit, try them out. I'm sure there are a bunch of them in there.

-Paul

jspain

I have not used the Big Bens yet.... I'll give those a shot Paul!

Who wants the traveling road show next?   8)

Cranus

So I'm at that point where I no longer feel the need to keep my beard to look older.  Up to this point my wife always said I looked like a over dressed junior high kid.  I've always shaved with cheap disposables  and hated it. I really like the idea of buying a straight a never buying another cartridge or creating extra waste.  I have a few questions for the guys here.  Even though I'm older now my face still gets bumpy is that any bigger of an issue with a straight?  How's the upkeep?  I have a few wetstones (220, 1000, 4000) and keep the kitchen knives sharp enough to shave arm hair. Is the process much different?   Thanks!

jspain

cranus,

I tried the straight one time and it's not for me. I REALLY LIKE the double edge and it gets you part way to what you are wanting to do. I's recommend taking a stab at this box of goodies that includes 4 straights and a double edge traditional razor. It has a ton of other stuff for the total shaving experience. I've REALLY enjoyed the traveling road show.

Now with all that said there are some experts here on the straights that can answer your questions. If you'd like me to send the traveling road show on to you to try I'd be glad to pack her up and ship her out to you! Just post your Ok and PM me your mailing address.

GO FOR IT!

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
Cranus,

I completely agree with JSpain. I had that box for a little while and learned a lot. I'm 43 FWIW and have been shaving with disposables for years, but they are so expensive.

I never seriously considered the the straights as I consider them a 19th century technology. There are a lot of good things that came out of that century, but I think we have improved on razors since then. Just my opinion of course, there are lots of people who enjoy the straights, I'm just not one of them.

That said, using the double-edged razors that my grandfather probably used in the 1940s has been an eye-opener for me. Choose a handle, experiment with some blades and some shave creams, and you won't have any more bumps. And you will get a very close shave. That's from a guy who used to get bumps all the time and worked hard with those cartridges to get a close shave. I will never go back to those cartridge razors again.

Give the kit a shot! All you have to lose is the postage to send it along to the next guy, and there is no other way to experiment with all of the products that are in there. And due to the generosity of previous holders of that kit, there is plenty there.

Of course, the straights are there too in case you'd like to try them out. Some of them are very nice. And there is a strop included if you are feeling brave.

-Paul

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
P.S. the key to double edge ("DE") shaving is a light touch, let the weight of the head do the cutting, otherwise you'll nick yourself. With the cartridge razors I used to use I applied a lot of pressure and got lesser results, but never nicked myself. When I first tried that with the DE razors I nicked myself a few times. But after a few tries it has become second nature, I don't nick myself anymore, and the shave goes quickly and smooth. There are YouTube videos describing this. I think many of them are over the top in terms of detail (it isn't rocket science, it is just shaving...), but I still think they are worth viewing.

Good Luck!
-Paul

GC7

Cranus - go for the kit and try everything. Then you can decide for yourself. There were no straights to try when I had it but I drifted to them anyway. I believe they give a closer (but for a small area under the right side of my neck) shave with far less irritation than the DE. Also, I love the maintenance and treat it and using the razor as a relaxing Zen-like experience every day. If you have the time you might agree. Using an antique that someone used for the same purpose before the civil war is a real treat for me. I have 9 different straights now and each is a different experience. You will need at least an 8K stone to shave comfortably and some CrOx or diamond spray will help too. As, before I'd be happy to hone up an edge for a GCBC member for only the shipping costs. I'll give you a synthetic 20K edge, coticule edge or Jnat edge if you desire.

Cranus

Ok, I'm in for a try.  Thanks!

jspain

I got your address cranus! It will ship in the morning! I'll send you a PM with the tracking info once I ship her in the morning!

HAVE FUN WITH THE BOX!

"The roadshow travels on!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:27:16 PM by jspain »