Author Topic: Closed: 2 units, LIDO-2,Traveling Road Show  (Read 39351 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Re: Closed: 2 units, LIDO-2,Traveling Road Show
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
I received the Lido-2 today, with a nice little pack of beans (thanks, Ray!).  Looks pretty simple to adjust; I set it up for espresso tomorrow morning.  Let's see if it fits the bill.

LMWDP #440

MSH

« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »
Next in line and just received the tracking # from Bassguy. Just roasted up some Columbia La Esperanza from one of Dave's distros and some Kenya Makwa AB from Temple to get ready to play. Looking forward to playing with the 2 and doing some comparisons vs my Lido 1, as well as, my Vario w/ the Ditting/metal brewing burrs. I'm 100% brewed coffee, so I won't be doing any espresso grinding.

BoldJava

« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
...vs my Lido 1, as well as, my Vario w/ the Ditting/metal brewing burrs. ...

Looking forward to your report.

B|Java

Bassguy

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
I've used my old LIDO1 for a few days now and have some thoughts.
The LIDO2 is great. It feels good in the hand, the handle is nice, it grinds fast and easy, little to no static cling, a great machine. The adjustment rings take some getting used to, I was afraid of locking them too tight perhaps, and they did move from time to time. I'm sure some more time would have solved that. Also I definitely did get some shrapnel popcorning out the top. Not a lot, maybe 2-5 bean slivers or chunks per batch. Not a huge detraction.
I've gotten used to my LIDO1, made my own silicone cover for popcorning, dealt with the static (always an issue in my climate anyway), and have managed to take its faults for what they are. It was built by hand in the USA, which is cool, and is still better than most grinders I can afford. Perhaps a few years ago I would have sold the old to get the new but for some reason, right now, trading up doesn't appeal to me. Plus the wait time right now for a LIDO2 is unappealing. That may change, all things do. Have fun!

TL;DR New LIDO is great, but I'm keeping the old LIDO for now.

BoldJava

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
Great article about Doug and Barb, in FC Magazine.

"The initial 500-grinder run of the Lido 2 sold out long before the parts even made it out of that factory, and the waiting list for more is already growing. Besides posting a few times to coffee forums, they've done no advertising, no PR, and no market research. "I don't know how to write an ad any more than I know how to fly," Barb says. But what they have done is tinker--which is to say innovate, perfect, and build--incessantly, relentlessly, and while constantly engaging their customer base with non-stop customer support and conversations on the coffee forums. And, of course, they found a friend in Kyle Anderson..."

http://www.fastcompany.com/3027426/a-good-business-idea-begins-with-a-great-cup-of-coffee#6

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
OK, my thoughts: 

The new version of this grinder has addressed most of the little niggly problems with the previous version.  The funnel/handle makes loading beans simple.   I think the adjustment rings will need attention from the owner, giving it that personalized touch.  This is mentioned in the literature.  The grind, as before, seems more than adequate for FP.  But, with my small hands, the increase in grinder weight and the slippery mid section make it difficult for me to use for drip, much less espresso. I have to sit down, hold it between my knees, and go to town on it.  I guess I'm just more into instant gratification than an upper body workout when I want espresso.  ;D

Nice, nice hand grinder.  Off to Todd for the next workout!

P
LMWDP #440

BoldJava

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2014, 04:02:28 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Small hands, large heart...

BoldJava

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »
...with a little blurb from jbviau at the end of the article too!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
Re-read the specs this morning.  Burrs are 40mm.  I had assumed mid-30s.

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2-Manual-Coffee-Grinder--PRE-ORDER_p_14.html

jbviau

« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
...with a little blurb from jbviau at the end of the article too!

I was interviewed by phone several weeks ago. Didn't think I'd make it into the story! Fun.

BoldJava

« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
1st Impressions - Espresso grind

15.5g Rwanda Rulindo, 4 days off roast, FC+, just initial snaps of 2nd and pulled for espresso use.
  • '82 Olympia Cremina
  • Took me three tries to get dialed in. First ended up in Turkish land, second one ran too fast, and the 3rd one, like the nursery rhyme was just right. 15.5 grams, 31 second grinding. No popcorning, no sticking.
  • (I will mark the rings with transparent tape to indicate espresso area. Good for a starting point. Using the grinder for cupping samples, Turkish, and individual Espros - small).
  • Pull: 8 second pre-infusion. 21 second, 20 gram ristretto.
  • Flavors? Deep, rich crema. Thick flavors, navel oranges and cranberry/hibiscus. Very clean, balanced.

Observations
    :

15 second wait after grinding. Two thwacks on the side of the hopper, retention fell into the OE portafilter funnel. No grinds retained.
  • I like the glass jar's secondary use for measuring/weighing beans.
  • Used WDT out of habit. Less need than from my Macap M4C (doserless). Have to see long term if needed or not.
  • Shot quality. Excellent. Seemed every bit as good as the shots from the 58mm Macap (head to head needed on like-coffees).

Reaction to the 1st Look
    :
    The LIDO2 has found a place on my counter.Attractive enough to warrant it
  • Like to use for smaller preps, individual cups
  • Convenient. Need to dial in and mark (transparent tape) as I am not a notch counter at all.

Wrap-up/Recommendations after 6 weeks use on a variety of preps
    :
  • I found the grind excellent for grinds from Turkish to press pots, including espresso. Others report 'adequate' for espresso in comparison to Pharos/Titan. I am either less discerning or used to a grind with a 58mm.
  • For novices wishing to get serious about grinders, I recommend the Lido2 without reservations as the entry grinder among those grinders with which I am familiar. Individuals can review notes elsewhere for the Knock grinder where others have done head to head between the two.
  • If preparing coffee which requires higher amounts (60 grams or so) and a Turkish or Espresso grind is not needed, consideration should be given to the electric Baratza Encore as an entry grinder.

My thanks to Barb and Doug for entrusting me with the opportunity to take the Lido2 around the block for the group. Dave
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:36:02 AM by BoldJava »

MSH

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
Enjoyed my time with the 2. I didn't get in as much grinding as I had hoped to, but still got in 5-6 V60's. I just shipped out to Richdel and will post a write-up/review later on the week. Thanks again for setting this up Dave!

pShoe

« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
So far:

- Works well for drip and pour over
- I have had the best FP that I have ever made
- Same can be said for the clever
- Really easy grinder to work with. Grinding, adjusting settings, ect.
- IMO, the LIDO 2 could be considered a work of art. It is that nice looking.

Anyone find a good setting for vacuum???

BoldJava

« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
Unit 1, in whose abode do you rest?

Call home...