Author Topic: Swissmar Alpenröast  (Read 4842 times)

donn

Re: Swissmar Alpenröast
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
And they probably lasted longer than my Hearthware Gourmet.  Though relatively expensive for consumer appliances, the life span on these things didn't seem to be much better than the average outcome for a re-purposed '70s popcorn popper.  BBQ grill for me, nothing electric to burn out.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
And they probably lasted longer than my Hearthware Gourmet.  Though relatively expensive for consumer appliances, the life span on these things didn't seem to be much better than the average outcome for a re-purposed '70s popcorn popper.  BBQ grill for me, nothing electric to burn out.

Hmm ... so you're saying the Alpenrost does not last longer than a popcorn popper?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

donn

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
Hmm ... so you're saying the Alpenrost does not last longer than a popcorn popper?

That was a more generic comment, but it's about reliability.  One popcorn popper might work for years, another for months.  One Alpenröst could last a long time, another not.  I doubt anyone has done the science.  I thought the typically short life of a popcorn popper might be because it's designed for lighter duty - popcorn goes quicker and doesn't get as hot - but after my Hearthware I'm skeptical that the purpose built roasters do any better.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

That was a more generic comment, but it's about reliability.  One popcorn popper might work for years, another for months.  One Alpenröst could last a long time, another not.  I doubt anyone has done the science.  I thought the typically short life of a popcorn popper might be because it's designed for lighter duty - popcorn goes quicker and doesn't get as hot - but after my Hearthware I'm skeptical that the purpose built roasters do any better.

In my readings I found that some people did not have very good luck at all with the Alpenrost.

This is playing with my insecurities.

:-X
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
I had no problems with mine except I knocked it off the counter and broke the plastic hinges.  It still worked. 

As I said mine still works and I think I bought it in 2001.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 01:21:51 PM »
I had no problems with mine except I knocked it off the counter and broke the plastic hinges.  It still worked. 

As I said mine still works and I think I bought it in 2001.

Wow ... that is impressive.

:o
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 02:40:47 PM »

This is why for me, I still do the occasional roasts with backup methods in case my Behmor goes Tango Uniform.  Backup method one is heatgun/dogbowl while backup method two is stovetop stockpot.  About every fifth roasting session, I use on of these methods just to keep my hand in.  Not to mention that when I am roasting four or five pounds in a single session, these methods are a lot faster than the Behmor, cranking out a pound every 20 minutes, in consideration of roasting and cooling.  Whereas the Behmor will likely be taking about 33 minutes per pound roasting and cooling.  Cooling goes a lot faster with my manual methods.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
Thanks to the strong recommendation from Milowbailey I decided to purchase the Alpenrost.  It is just has he had mentioned ... unopened in its original package with all the plastic and cardboard still all intact.  You can see it was initially selling for $500.00 CDN.  Another spot had $399 and then there was a red tag marking it down to $289.00 Canadian.

The bonus with this deal with this is that he included 3 boxes of Alpenrost green coffee.  Each box contains 12 225 grams of green coffee in their own pouch marked $5.99 ... so $72.00 per box.  The greens say Europa blend (they look to be the size of a Brazilian bean).  So I got $216 worth of coffee with it.  (We'll see how good the Europa blend is.)

So far not a bad $100.00 expenditure.

;D
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
I think if nothing else it will be a great experience for you in another roasting method.  Have fun with it.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
I think if nothing else it will be a great experience for you in another roasting method.  Have fun with it.

Yes ... thank you ... will read up on it and do first roast tomorrow.

;D
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
So how many years old is the green coffee?  Ten?

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
So how many years old is the green coffee?  Ten?

I'm not sure ... that is a good question.

It is sealed in an air tight plastic bag.  That is the only thing I know for sure.

:-\
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:22 AM »
Well ... opened up the roaster ... no manual.

Hmm ... maybe it was opened at one point just to take the manual out.

If anyone has an online link to a Swissmar Alpenrost manual please do let me know.  I am currently searching and seem to find places with tips but not a manual.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »

If anyone has an online link to a Swissmar Alpenrost manual please do let me know.  I am currently searching and seem to find places with tips but not a manual.

MP

I'll dig around tonight.  I may still have the manual for mine.

Here are some tips from SM

You can always contact swissmar too:

CANADA
Swissmar LTD.
35 East Beaver Creek Rd., Unit 6
Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 1B3
Phone: 905-764-1121
Toll Free: 1-877-947-7627
Fax: 905-764-1123
Email: info@swissmar.com

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »

MP

I'll dig around tonight.  I may still have the manual for mine.

Here are some tips from SM

You can always contact swissmar too:

CANADA
Swissmar LTD.
35 East Beaver Creek Rd., Unit 6
Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 1B3
Phone: 905-764-1121
Toll Free: 1-877-947-7627
Fax: 905-764-1123
Email: info@swissmar.com

Thanks Larry ... I appreciate it.

There is no mention of the Alpenrost on their web site at all.

I suppose it would not hurt to phone and ask them if they have an extra manual floating around.

Yes ... I read some of the stuff at Sweet Maria's ... they caution to read the manual as they are only offering tips and not instructions from the manual.

lp, 7-Ski